A ship for Blair

WELL

Well You know of by sci-fi enhanced ship!!! But really a New desing possibly a BWS Intrepid refit or something.

if something were to be named Blair, it would have to be treuly invinseble, like a superbase or a midway class ship, however, both are still fairly easy to take out, so, so far nothing out there wothy of his name...

I believe you're missing a certain important point. Whatever ship you name after Blair... well, it has to be something that Blair would consider honourable. As in, he - ignoring the fact that they dead don't feel anything - would have to feel honoured about this ship bearing his name.

The question is, would Blair consider it an honour to have a ship or starbase named after him? I think not. He fought "only to put an end to it". If anything, you'd be insulting his memory by naming a warship after him.
Come to think of it, he wouldn't want anything named after him.

Originally posted by Quarto
I believe you're missing a certain important point. Whatever ship you name after Blair... well, it has to be something that Blair would consider honourable. As in, he - ignoring the fact that they dead don't feel anything - would have to feel honoured about this ship bearing his name.

The question is, would Blair consider it an honour to have a ship or starbase named after him? I think not. He fought "only to put an end to it". If anything, you'd be insulting his memory by naming a warship after him.
Come to think of it, he wouldn't want anything named after him.

Unfortunately, he doesn't have a say, and there will be enough political hacks and public opinion that a ship will get named for him, though maybe not right away. The politicos back on Nephele might end up trying to name the planet after him :) I would guess enough time may pass that his desire is "forgotten" and perhaps whateveer succeds the Midway class, or perhaps a new fighter class might be named after him.

I'm not sure how many of you know of the American Sgt. York, who fought during World War I. He had some type of aromored anti-aircraft weapon named for him, but the thing never worked right and eventually was scrapped. He definitely was not interested in the fame and glory and made it abundantly clear, but enough time passed that people "forgot" about that.

Yeah, there will always be some people who will insist on a TCS Blair. But that doesn't mean we have to be those people :).

I've never heard of any Sgt. York, so I guess he eventually got his wish :).

Drop his name in a serach engine and something should come up. He was an American who tried to not go to WWI because he of religious convictions. He felt that the taking of human life was wrong. He failed to avoid service and ended up fighting in Europe. He was a expert marksman from the mountains of Tennessee and was so good because he spent a lot of his time hunting turkeys (so the story goes.) York's fame rose from his legendary exploits on October 8, 1918 in the Argonne Forest in France. Leading a small patrol, York was sent out to eliminate flanking machine gun fire that was halting the advance of his regiment. York found himself alone opposing a German machine gun unit. With rifle and pistol he engaged the enemy. The fight ended with more than twenty Germans dead. Then, the other one hundred and thirty-two soldiers, including four officers and thirty-five machine guns, became discouraged and surrendered to York and six of his comrades. For that he was decorated with a dozen metals, including the Medal of Honor and the French Croix de Guerre.

[Edited by Shane on 11-21-2000 at 08:59]

Interesting.

Don't be so quick to dismiss such stories, Twister. I've heard of much stranger things. In fact, it's usually the strangest stories that turn out to be true.
Why, just two days ago, I was reading about the UN peacekeeping operation in the Congo (1960-'64). At one point, the peacekeepers [finally] came to an agreement with the local dictator. So, the Colonel in one of the peacekeeping regiments decided to show the dictator that they were friends now. Unfortunately, this peacekeeper happened to be a Gurkha armed with a kukri knife (ever seen one of those? Nasty looking things), and his way of showing his friendship was... a blood oath :). When he slashed open his arm, the dictator fainted.

oh don't get me wrong Quarto, it's not that o don't belive the story, it's just typicly on of those those stories, ether made thick to get kids in the army, or to tell around a campfire or something, i mean sure there could have been a York who was brave and completed his mission and all that, but single handedly killing a platoon whit both guns bazing and all that...come on!

it's like that guy who took out that giant whit a lingshot; that "Giant" was probebly just the military leader who was "big and strong" and this guy took him out whit a slingshot...or something...am i making any sence here?:)

If Blair would think being named after a ship being dishonorable then why did he help devlop the midway?
Also he would think it honorable if the ship followed the confed way.

Twister. He was quite real, and unlike your example, there is good documented evidence to support it. Here is a link to one bio. Whether or not the army added to the legend may be a question, but the fact that the postion was captured, York and 132 Germans were captured and brought back by a half dozen US soldiers is hard to dispell.

http://volweb.utk.edu/Schools/York/biography.html

[Edited by Shane on 11-21-2000 at 12:29]

Dark Tower: Blair helping to design the Midway class has got nothing to do with how he wants to be honored. He didn't consult on the Midway because he thought someday they'd name one after him. Considering Blair's character & his actions in WC4 I think the best way to honor Blair is to always be on the side of honor.

I should have been clearer, sorry. By saying he was real, I meant to say his exploits were real and documented. I don't think there is much embellishment to his account of events. At least I haven't heard anyone say something to the contrary.

how do we define a hero anyway?

-a fire man who resceus a Baby from a burning building?
-a guy who kills sadam?
-a person who breaks up a fight on the streets?
-a person who goes to court when an election has gone all wrong?:)
-Paladin, for giving the order to use the T-bomb, or blair for using it?

Back