A question maybe you guys could help me with.

Showtime

Spaceman
Normally I would take this up with Microsoft but considering I have to pay 55$ just to ask them a question on their online tech support I would rather try other options. With the recent release of their updates that automaticlly install to my computer, I have found that I am no longer able to go online with IE 7. I am still connected to the internet because I can still go online with AIM, Counter-Strike, etc... Anyways, when I try to go on IE my homepage gets a "Page could not be displayed" error. Whenever I try to type in a different URL, the html bar reverts to something that reads http:/// and then the page gives me an Invalid URL Error. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have had to use System Restore twice already in the past two days and had to shut off my automatic updates for the time being.:(

With the recent release of their updates that automaticlly install to my computer, I have found that I am no longer able to go online with IE 7. I am still connected to the internet because I can still go online with AIM, Counter-Strike, etc... Anyways, when I try to go on IE my homepage gets a "Page could not be displayed" error.

"Page could not be displayed" sounds like it can't reach the server at all. Do you have any firewall software installed? Is the Windows firewall active? I believe it comes with SP2 and is pretty strict. Try disabling it, or find out if you need to configure it to allow IE7 to access the internet. Maybe something went wrong there when IE7 was installed. The firewall is about all I can think of if everything else works.

There is a quick fix for your automatic updates problem: if you set the Automatic Updates software to "download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them" you can tell it to ignore IE7 in the future. Make sure you don't click "install all updates" or such when you receive a notification. There is a button that takes you to a screen where you select which updates to install.

Have you tried Firefox yet?
Don't be a jerk.

"Page could not be displayed" sounds like it can't reach the server at all. Do you have any firewall software installed? Is the Windows firewall active? I believe it comes with SP2 and is pretty strict. Try disabling it, or find out if you need to configure it to allow IE7 to access the internet. Maybe something went wrong there when IE7 was installed. The firewall is about all I can think of if everything else works.

There is a quick fix for your automatic updates problem: if you set the Automatic Updates software to "download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them" you can tell it to ignore IE7 in the future. Make sure you don't click "install all updates" or such when you receive a notification. There is a button that takes you to a screen where you select which updates to install.

Don't be a jerk.

Hey finally something on this site I might be able to help with...

I agree with Kris, it is likely a Firewall problem, the easy way to check is the good old fashioned PING from a DOS prompt, try the following,

1- Click the Start Button select Run
2- enter CMD in the dialog Box
3- A DOS - Command window appears
4- In the Command Window enter -> Ping www.crius.net (or any other web site URL)
you should get a result similar to this;

Pinging crius.net [67.19.46.119] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 67.19.46.119: bytes=32 time=1910ms TTL=49
Reply from 67.19.46.119: bytes=32 time=99ms TTL=49
Reply from 67.19.46.119: bytes=32 time=98ms TTL=49
Reply from 67.19.46.119: bytes=32 time=98ms TTL=49

Ping statistics for 67.19.46.119:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 98ms, Maximum = 1910ms, Average = 551ms

If you get a "Ping could not find Host" or "Request Timed out" I would say you are being blocked by your firewall.

Personally I have found Zone Alarm Free Edition better for home use than the Microsoft Firewall, Zone Alarm has a "Game Mode' which allow you to activate it and it will automatically accept all traffic from the site you are on, great for online gaming. Just Google "Free Zone Alarm" and give it a try, if you do make sure to disable Microsoft Firewall you really do not want 2 firewalls running together it can cause real headaches.

I hope this is not insulting if you already knew all of this stuff, I do not know your level of computer experience, and I am used to dealing with "Stupid User Tricks" all the time in my job so I always try to go to the lowest common denominator when I explain anything.

Hope this helps

I am not sure this is a firewall issue since he says the URL reverts to an http:/// which isn't normal. Try looking in the options and preferences and try changing the default for browsing. Another thing when you installed this you have to go through an initial setup. Maybe you missed this or unintentionally set something that defaults it to http:///. Try uninstalling, reboot, reinstall and go through all the initial setup again.

I would also second the recommendation for firefox. I found that it is a much better browser and has really cool plugins avail. for it.

I'd bet that the three slashes was just a typo. I wouldn't expect modern web browsers to let anyone default to anything except http://, and then someone should just be able to type something in directly if necessary.

possibilities
firewall, dns, browser corruption, hosts file corruption

if www.google.com does not load, but entering an address of 64.233.161.104 does, then it's dns related

my dell laptop had that steaming pile of s*** norton preinstalled and one day it decided to block all dns requests

Back