A possible future for wing commander

Dark Tower

Rear Admiral
Everyone is going on about how wing commander has fallen by the way side as origin have gone multiplayer on us. But this could be a good thing. If they get in to a group and look around they may decide that a multiplayer project maybe a good thing for the wing commander franchise. Thus privateer online may return or an update version of admarda who knows???? Only the future will tell.

I just started thinking and on new area maybe a FPS based on wing commander like marine corps but with say a capture the flag stlye to it or deathmatching or online RTS ala Fleet commander or comand and conquer ect.

Man this idea is giving me inspiration.

Lets see if we can make a list and see if origin look here and take a hint.

There will be no new WC games for now, but maybe there will be one (or more) in the future...probably...hopefully...;)
I think there is already some projects like the ones you mentioned, check the cic fan projects section.

Yes there are. What i ment was that if origin are concentrating on multiplayer games then there is a greater chance of a multiplayer wing commander than a single player wing commander.

Well, given that there are bigger hard drives these days, why not a Wing Commander that would feature flights AND FPS missions and levels? They could range from rescuing someone from a planet, to stopping aliens from boarding your ship, or whatever. It would be interesting if you ended up in the Midway's launch tube, and suddenly it opens and you get sucked out into space and you DIE.....

Hybrid games generally don't sell to well. There would always be FPS fans that wouldn't want to do all those in-space missions, and there would always be some die hard space sim fans that don't care about FPS. And you can't very well allow the players to skip through the parts of the game they don't want. Not to mention that the game would be more expansive and would take more time release.

Hybrids while they don't have great sales have adacuate sales. For example the battlezone series and the System shock series. A hybrid would create a chance for a wider fan base.

On the note of Hybrids would fans buy them and also wouldn't a hybrid Privateer rock. Hmmm Privateer online with FPS and flight dynamics.

Rather several fan bases that like different parts of the game and constantly flame eachother. I didn't see many succesfull hybrids. System Schok 2 was great, I don't know how well it sold, but even if it sold over a miliion copies it's because it was an extremly well done game. Developers have a hard time as it is making games of one genre, mixing several together could mess up a part of the game that would be much better as a seperate game

Personally I don't like the idea of hybrids. I played Shadows of the empire, which was mostly FPS, but had some flying levels, and really didn't like it that much. That's just my 2 cents.

I know you guys have probley heard this question alot but if Origin is "going multi-player on us" why dont they make a Multi-player Wing Commander game?

Originally posted by Hawk
I know you guys have probley heard this question alot but if Origin is "going multi-player on us" why dont they make a Multi-player Wing Commander game?

Originally posted by KillerWave
There will be no new WC games for now, but maybe there will be one (or more) in the future...probably...hopefully...
[/B]

'Nuff said. :)

Back