A New Privateer out of the FreeSpace 2 Source

I'm... VERY sure this board will appreciate your views on Vega Strike. Besides, Freelancer is approaching release as well, and I'm sure you know about that game.
Good idea, but it's already filled by a professional project.

actually freelancer is a piece of crap that will probably never get released. Vegastrike is FINE there is nothing wrong with it. and i'd like to see any of you get even HALF the engine made. it's taken a lot of time on the developers parts and it IS getting there. Vegastrike decided to dump WC because of legal issues. therefore it is WC:Universe that will be picking up where VS left off. we're planning some MAJOR things. new detroit is alreaqdy being implemented as a MASSIVE planet filled with buildings that you'll be able to dogfight in.

The irony of anyone involved with WC: Universe saying another game is "a piece of crap that will probably never get released" is almost unbearable.

Freelancer sucks. The controls are too complicated, and it only takes a good aim with a freaking mouse to win. This is UT in space.

You didnt played it and you say that the controls are complicated?
of course that flying only with a mouse could be rare, but saying that sucks without playing it is just stupid.

No, that's just the thing. From descriptions of control, you aim with the mouse to attack, but your ship more or less flies in a straight line. You have to aim, then manually adjust trajectory, then aim again, fire some, readjust direction again... Sounds plenty complicated, no?

mystery who are you and who are you to be snapping at me? Just because someone doesn't like program X doesn't mean they're a bad programmer - the last time i had run VegaStrike it was a resourcing hogging, performance lacking dinosaur - but was far from impossible to repair, and from what i've heard they've fixed it quite nicely. my previous opinion of vegastrike doesn't stop me from sharing ideas with Darkmage, infact i have a few for him when he get's on ICQ later.

He's not snapping at you.

Anyway, Manic, Ghost has a point. You don't know anything useful about Freelancer because you haven't played it yet. Who's to say if the controls are complicated?

Freelancer is going to suck, but for way different reasons than their control scheme.

Originally posted by Ghost

No, it isn´t, it was delayed again...

Current release date Q1 2003, correct?
Keep our fingers crossed that the date won't get pushed back again.

As far as mouse piloting goes, yeah, joysticks are better (and I believe that joystick piloting is in for those who want to use it), but I do remember having an easier time with a mouse in Privateer 2.

Originally posted by Frosty

Freelancer is going to suck, but for way different reasons than their control scheme.

My current hopes are that Johnny will unbastardize it, or somesuch. My hopes lie entirely on you, Johnny. No pressure though.

Secondly, I like how Darkmage somehow turned the first two posts into a reason to insult a game we've seen very little of for a few years and then seemed to take something as an insult of Vega Strike. You really have to learn to take it easy :)

Ghost: Well, it's closer to release now than a year ago, right? So it's approaching release.

Kazan: I didn't snap at you, and I didn't even mention your programming. But: We have WC: Universe coming, and Freelancer somewhat coming, so there are enough Privateer-ish projects out there already. That's my view on things. If you don't share that train of thought, fine, just don't make it MY problem.

i have now got a site up for WC:U but I'd much rather work on implementing new features than making the website pretty

Darkmage: i can handle the website for you as well as pitch in programming time... i think my first duty is going to be writing the NavCom system

Back