A new comer! Plebe

Plebe

Spaceman
Been playing WC3 and WC4 for a while now. GREAT! Bought Prophecy a while back and just can't get into it. Movie actions great but game-play does'nt do it for me. Just looked at all the other Wing Commander titles and never realised there was so many titles. :eek: Can someone give me a hint as to what the others are like. I really go for the "interactive" game play. Play WC3 and WC4 all the time. Looking for some new blood. :confused:

Wing Commander and Wing Commander 2 don't give you the interactive choices during the movies (which are cartoons since they're too old for actual video) but they still have the branching missions and how you perform in combat decides how the story unfolds.

The Privateer games are a bit of a departure and have you out trading and what not. They're more freeform.

Armada is kind of a mix of strategy and simulation but lacks the story of the other games.

I'd also reccomend playing Starlancer if you like Wing Commander since it's another Roberts made game though the story progresses during the missions instead of in an interactive movie.

I really enjoyed Freelancer actually! Try that. Thers a lot of story in the cut scenes, but you cant interact with them, but on the first play through you really feel like you have an effect! :D

Ed

if you like the whole interactive movie deal, try Privateer 2. Its a pretty good game, I liked it, the characters are weird but cool.

It's weird how in Privateer 2 you can get pretty far in the game just by answering emails and going to see the people you need to. Lots of those people didn't even have missions for you.

Strong Recommendation on Freelancer. Buy it, you'll love it but DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT play it online until you think you've figured out pretty much everything there is to know about it and are tired of playing it by yourself. Why? because once you play online it kinda ruins the experience of exploration as you quickly learn where the best of everything is and you reach the stage of "there's nothing left to explore." My advice stick to single player for a long time.

Thanks all - so far

Freelancer that has been recommended, it does,nt appear to be a WC release. Could someone enlarge a little so I could maybe track a copy down. Did anyone else find Prophecy not "kick arse"? Or is it just me? :eek: It just does'nt seem to cut it like 3 & 4.........Unless it's just me. Can't get into it.

I still liked Prophecy, it was a throwback to the gameplay focus of WC1/2. But some of the 'acting' was definitely cringe-worthy.

Maj.Striker said:
Strong Recommendation on Freelancer. Buy it, you'll love it but DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT play it online
I wasn't aware that anyone was still playing on-line. Maybe the game just has trouble breaking through my firewalls. Or do you need a really, really fast connection?

Freelancer that has been recommended, it does,nt appear to be a WC release. Could someone enlarge a little so I could maybe track a copy down.

It's the spiritual sequel to StarLancer taking place several centuries in the future after the Western Alliance fled Earth to set up new colonies out in space to escape the war that you fought in during StarLancer.

I liked Freelancer during the excellent story missions but I wish the story would've been longer because after I finished it I found the exploration to be really dull in that game. There isn't a big enough variety of missions when you're not doing a story mission, it's all "Go kill this guy" or "blow up this base" and maybe two or three more but it becomes a chore and loses its charm. It's worth the price alone for the story though, it's really a great game for Wing Commander nuts. The mouse driven control system was really really fun in my opinion.

Wedge009 said:
I wasn't aware that anyone was still playing on-line. Maybe the game just has trouble breaking through my firewalls. Or do you need a really, really fast connection?

The online play in that game was three-fold boring.

@Wedge, there are still several people playing online in a variety of mods but its still a poor experience online so don't try it. The game is well worth picking up, be forewarned there is no joystick support, it's a mouse only game. Despite the short plot the game is well done, I mean who can top having the classic George Takei as one of the voiceovers? :)

I loved Prophecy. My only experince of WC III and IV comes from the PSX, but I found them to be great. You have to play WC I and II, problem is that they are designed to OLDER PCs, if you can get your hands on The Kilrathi Saga (WC I, II and III all done up to run on Newer PCs) then give it a go

TopGun said:
Never played Privateer I or II
TopGun said:
Freelancer is more like Privateer
How would you know? :p

IMHO, Priv 2 is a whole lot more like Privateer than Freelancer. For starters, Priv 2 is open ended, instead of just tricking you into thinking it is. :)

And if you're looking for storylines... I'll take P2's John Hurt, Clive Owen, Jurgen Prochnow, and Christopher Walken (I'm sure I mispelled something there) over 3D people who all look the same and who sound like broken record players any day.

I'm not saying P2 has a good plot - more like a bad plot that got a good execution... but neither game has a plot that truly evolves, feels interactive, or makes you feel like you're having an impact on the universe, anyway.

TopGun said:
You have to play WC I and II, problem is that they are designed to OLDER PCs, if you can get your hands on The Kilrathi Saga (WC I, II and III all done up to run on Newer PCs) then give it a go
If that ends up being too expensive for you, you can alternatively get the DOS versions of WC1 and WC2 for just a few bucks, and try running them with a DOS emulator like Dosbox.

Eder said:
And if you're looking for storylines... I'll take P2's John Hurt, Clive Owen, Jurgen Prochnow, and Christopher Walken (I'm sure I mispelled something there) over 3D people who all look the same and who sound like broken record players any day.

AGREED!!! Despite being "different" than Priv 1, Priv 2 is still one of my all time favorites! What a casting crew eh? Fantastic job, I loved it!

Privateer has some amazing amazing production values, and its film shoot was probably the best of any of the Wing Commander FMV products (WC3/WC4/WCP/WCM inclusive).

... it had some horrible gameplay balancing issues, though -- stuff that should have been fixed pretty easily.

Yep, you can see P2's release was rushed from the minute you open the box and take just a quick look at the manual.

Back