a little idea concerning eaw

Chevieblazer

Spaceman
this is by far no announcement or so, just an idea i had when playing the eaw demo.
eaw-empire at war- is pretty much the "holy grail" of all modders associated with c+c generals.
basically, you have sweet looking space battles as in conquest ot st:armada, galactic campaigning as in wc:armada(real time, though) and ground combat, not quite like c+c, since you call in reinforcements from space, not from a factory, at least if you invade.

the idea, as you may have guessed, involves a wc mod. i mean, we never actually get to see a lot of ground combat in wc, but we know it's supposed to be there.
this game would give it all:
space battles, ground battle and galactic conquest...

Do you know if the game designers have mentioned releasing mod tools for Empire at War, Chevieblazer?

I had the same idea when I played the demo but we would need some tool. Either given by the company or some people who develop them.
Still it would be interesting to have a WC mod based on it. We could bring in even the superweapons with the Behemoth and Kilrathi DN.

BrynS said:
Do you know if the game designers have mentioned releasing mod tools for Empire at War, Chevieblazer?

Just jumping in here. From what I've heard from one of my sources, they will probably release at least one tool for modders, though I doubt that'll be needed. The day the demo was released modders already figured out how they'll be able to import ships into the game. Their tools may become available relatively soon as well.

hmm, as i said, eaw is pretty much the holy grail for the entire c+c generals modding scene, especially since ea has little apparent interest in developing further c+c games(now what does that remind me of???).
petroglyph is ex-westwood, they know there is a lot of interest in modifying their game, and as it's sure to be a major seller, i don't think mod tools will be a problem. would be nice if we could use 3dmax for the models, though...

I have taken a look into the model folder and they aren't in any file format that I know. Best would be that Petroglyph would make a convertertool that you can feed nearly any filetype.
Also textures are in DDS format and they also seam to use a bump/normalmapping type of texture.
Well the release isn't that far away...lets hope the best.

Chevieblazer said:
hmm, as i said, eaw is pretty much the holy grail for the entire c+c generals modding scene, especially since ea has little apparent interest in developing further c+c games(now what does that remind me of???).

That reminds me of the exact same uninformed ideas that circulate about EA not ever having plans to make new Wing Commander games!

;)
they did actually plan to make a new c+c. first it was tiberian twilight, then they changed it to a new red alert. and now it is bfme2. ok, obviously not the same game, but the same people working on it, which pretty much puts c+c on ice until further notice.

btw, i did not know ea was working on a new wc. do they? i mean work on it, not "think" about eventually doing one maybe

Chevieblazer said:
ea has little apparent interest in developing further c+c games(now what does that remind me of???)

Chevieblazer said:
i mean work on it, not "think" about eventually doing one maybe

EA isn't working on a new WC game to the best of my knowledge, but "thinking about eventually doing one maybe" is "having interest in developing further." And that I'm sure they are.

Chevieblazer said:
ahh, i'd love to discuss this further, but it's getting a bit away from the topic:rolleyes:

I'm not really sure there's anywhere else to go with "Hey, an EAW mod might be neat" at this point.

Chevieblazer said:
they did actually plan to make a new c+c. first it was tiberian twilight, then they changed it to a new red alert. and now it is bfme2. ok, obviously not the same game, but the same people working on it, which pretty much puts c+c on ice until further notice.

They're releasing a Kilrathi Saga style C&C Anthology in just a matter of weeks. https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/6684 It's not an all-new game of course, but it's a clear sign they haven't abandoned the series.

Chevieblazer said:
btw, i did not know ea was working on a new wc. do they? i mean work on it, not "think" about eventually doing one maybe

We've posted numerous design docs, screenshots, scripts, etc at the CIC for several Wing Commander games that have been in development since Secret Ops. We often don't get firm details about these attempts until a couple years after they've been concluded.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back