A hypothetical situation:

Originally posted by junior
The Nephilim and the Kilrathi both seem to be a part of something much larger (although the Kilrathi only have the vaguest idea of it due to the Prophecy), as indicated by the Nephilim name for them - 'The Unaligned' (or was it 'The Nonaligned'?).

That SHOULD, of course, read "as indicated by the Nephilim name for humanity - 'The Unaligned' (or was it 'The Nonaligned')?."

Unfortunately, the edit timer expired before I caught the error.

Originally posted by Saturnyne
eh? I thought the term "unaligned" had to do with our DNA structure. Since the "Nephilim" have already dug so deeply into our biology, and share a hive mind, I thought that the term was biological.

I don't think Finley explains why they call humanity that - just that they do. And if it were a generic term for non-insectoid races, then it would also apply to the Kilrathi. The usage of 'The' in front makes me feel that isn't the case, although since we know so little about it, I could easily be mistaken.

Originally posted by Saturnyne
I also have trouble believing that the "Nephilim" are technologically superior to Confed. "Oh, but they have their gate technology!" Well, yahoo. It doesn't show that they're technologically superior, just that they have a technology Confed doesn't have yet. Although, that is techinically incorrect since Confed controls one of the gates at the end of Secret Ops.

Confed may control one side (not the other) of one of the gates at the end of Secret Ops, but they still can't build one of the things on their own. Give them a few years, and I'm sure they'll figure it out, though.
The reason that people say that the Nephilim are technologically superior is because there are areas that the Nephilim are more advanced in at the start of the game (missiles, for example), but no areas that Confed clearly demonstrates a definite advantage in.

So...if Nephilim = Shivans, Ancients = Star Gods and Shivans > Ancients, then Nephilim > Star Gods? :confused:

I think Bob's head is about to explode. And I always thought that unaligned refered to some greater Galactic war that Confed was'nt involved in.

Originally posted by Thymerlord
I think Bob's head is about to explode. And I always thought that unaligned refered to some greater Galactic war that Confed was'nt involved in.

The take I had on it was that the Nephilim were part of a grouping of species/nations that worked together, and hence were "aligned". Though your idea is interesting as well. If there was a war going on, we might well get help from the other side. The enemy of my enemy and so on.

Best, Raptor

Originally posted by Thymerlord

This is a very interesting idea, and would explain several other points in the story. Such as why the Steltek warned Confed now to meet them again, as if saying Confed wouldn't survive the galatcic war in its current state, and so on. It would also craft future game ideas as both Confed and the Kilrathi discover what has been going on just beyond their sensor ranges.

Originally posteb by Raptor
The take I had on it was that the Nephilim were part of a grouping of species/nations that worked together, and hence were "aligned".

This theory seems probable too. Though less original, I wouldn't be dificult to figure out. In this case, the Nephilim are some sort of Borg-like race, trying to clense the unvisre of *non-aligned* raes, or bring them in to the true order of the universe.

My take was that the Nephilim were representatives (minions, according to some Prophecy writers...) of an 'alliance' of powerful races. They appeared to the Kilrathi a gazillion years ago and told them to shape up -- become the most powerful race by defeating your enemies, blah blah blah... and then we'll show up and test you to see if you're worthy of joining us.

Kilrah blows up, the Nephilim notice (this was one of those 'magazine' plot points... something discussed in depth before Prophecy came out that didn't really show up in the game) and they show up to find out just who these humans are. They experiment on Blair, yadda yadda yadda, decide we're worthy and they start to test us.

just a lil note, when i earlier mentioned the precursors in star control, i didnt mean to reference them with the ancients in freespace, or for that matter the star gods in wc,

whilst its nice to try and link the universes, most of the time, it simply isnt happening, after all, technologies interfere, since starcon is set b4 wc, why isnt wc using hyperdrive tech? because they cant be linked, freespace however, like wc and star wars, decided to go for the tactic of using "jump" or "hyperspace" technology, whilst hyperspace in star control and star wars is more similar to star treks warp drive, freespace jump technology has to be linked if only in appearance to the wc jumps, but! the jump in FS is not specific in start or finish points (ie it has no nodes) so in some ways its also more like star wars,

if anything therefore is like the wc jump (and thus the best thing to be linked) it would have to be farscape's start with the "wormhole" tech, however even there the problem arises as soon as the "starburst" is introduced, (i still dont know what space above and beyond uses)

so conclusions, tachyon and wc can be linked, so maybe can X

however everything else is in a seperate universe

i think well all agree though, wed rather be in the wc universe :D

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

Kilrah blows up, the Nephilim notice (this was one of those 'magazine' plot points... something discussed in depth before Prophecy came out that didn't really show up in the game) and they show up to find out just who these humans are. They experiment on Blair, yadda yadda yadda, decide we're worthy and they start to test us.

so, could the Nephilim return offering us the chance to join them?

The nephilim pilots say something like "Prepare to be tested" or something similar ( i am not very good at translating for i have the german WCP version). Maybe thats a hint?

Originally posted by Lynx
The nephilim pilots say something like "Prepare to be tested" or something similar ( i am not very good at translating for i have the german WCP version). Maybe thats a hint?

While I hold with the testing theory, they also say, "This death means nothing! You shall fall!" That seems to indicate the exact opposite, i.e. that they really are out to do Confed in.

WE NEED A NEW GAME WITH MORE BACKGROUND INFO ON THE NEPHILIM!!!!

grr...

Think we can start up a collection and buy out EA?

:p

I also like the idea of the nephilim beeing something like a slave race because they don`t seem to be very intelligent. At least it seems to me that they were given their technology by someone else, but who knows?

Originally posted by Lynx

Could also just be their shaky grasp on the English language. Who knows. It just seems like a self-defeating purpose. Either they destroy humanity, or they get destroyed. Neither case would help them very much.

That "testing humanity" theory is actually a pretty good one. As for the "Death awaits you" type things, it could just mean that this is the only alternative to sucesss, failure means death. That's just a possibility, of course, however, it would seem extremely likely as an outcome (following this line of thought).

Originally posted by Madman
just a lil note, when i earlier mentioned the precursors in star control, i didnt mean to reference them with the ancients in freespace, or for that matter the star gods in wc,

whilst its nice to try and link the universes, most of the time, it simply isnt happening, after all, technologies interfere, since starcon is set b4 wc, why isnt wc using hyperdrive tech? because they cant be linked, freespace however, like wc and star wars, decided to go for the tactic of using "jump" or "hyperspace" technology, whilst hyperspace in star control and star wars is more similar to star treks warp drive, freespace jump technology has to be linked if only in appearance to the wc jumps, but! the jump in FS is not specific in start or finish points (ie it has no nodes) so in some ways its also more like star wars,

if anything therefore is like the wc jump (and thus the best thing to be linked) it would have to be farscape's start with the "wormhole" tech, however even there the problem arises as soon as the "starburst" is introduced, (i still dont know what space above and beyond uses)

so conclusions, tachyon and wc can be linked, so maybe can X

however everything else is in a seperate universe

i think well all agree though, wed rather be in the wc universe :D

With all due respect, you is wrong, senor. However, the nice people here have made it clear they will eat my brains were I to elaborate further.

Back