A Good Joystick.

Disco Boy

Spaceman
About a week ago my joystick (a logitech extreme 3d) started malfunctioning. The handle twists to give it a 3rd axis and it unfortunately has started tilting to one side. I've tried recalibrating to no avail. So I'm asking you guys for a recommendation for a new one. Please post your favorite joystick(s), yokes etc. and give me a quick description to help me pick out a new one. On a semirelated note how do you guys feel about track balls? I've always wanted to try one but don't really want to buy one if I wind up not liking it.

I guess it depends what you're trying to do with your joystick - I use a Thrustmaster FCS/WCS/RCS stick/throttle/rudder combo for DOS Wing Commanders and an early Sidewinder FF for Prophecy.

I have a Logitech Wingman Cordless gamepad. It runs on 4 AA batteries and utilizes a 2.4 GHz RF signal. It has a d-pad, two analog sticks, a start button, A-C and X-Y on the face, and four trigger buttons (L1/2, R1/2).

Since playing Ace Combat 3 on PSX I have preferred gamepads for combat sims, and this gamepad works out great for me.

The bundled software includes a profile manager that lets you assign custom keys or macros to your different buttons on the gamepad. I have an interesting profile set up for SO, UE and Standoff that goes something like this:

Start: Unshifted - ESC Menu -- Shifted - Nav Map
X: Unshifted - Comm, Enemy Taunt/ Ally Status -- Shifted - Comm, Squadron Status
Y: Unshifted - Comm, Attack my target -- Shifted - Comm, Request assistance
Z: Unshifted - Lock target -- Shifted - Select nearest target
A: Unshifted/Shifted - Button 1
B: Unshifted/Shifted - Button 2
C: Unshifted - Next Target -- Shifted - Next component
L1: Unshifted - Fire missile -- Shifted - Next missile
L2: SHIFT
R1: Unshifted - Fire guns -- Shifted - Next guns
R2: Unshifted - Afterburner -- Shifted - Autopilot

I can use the keyboard for everything else, and it works out very well. I keep A and B as Button 1 and 2 so I can use the joystick to navigate the UI and not have to use the triggers to enter or exit something.

I've used lots of joysticks, and I can say that the best I have ever seen is the Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 (Don't confuse it with the lesser Sidewinder Pro). The stick is ergonomic (Unless you're left-handed), the buttons are spaced comfortably and have perfect resistance. Also, the stick isn't spring-loaded, making it much easier to turn sharply. It's 3-axis with a throttle, and it works outstandingly with Kilrathi Saga, DosBox, and Prophecy.
For older computers, I use a CH FlightStick, for Wc3 and 4, and it works fine. Here's a pic of the CH Flightstick, because it is very old and hard to find.

Attachments

• flightstick_.png
    flightstick_.png
    93.2 KB · Views: 141
Look into a force feedback one. I've been happy with my Logitech Wingman Force 3d. It's 40 bucks.

What do you use the force feedback for? I only ever used mine for vibration effects in Prophecy and Secret Ops, and I mostly turned them off after a while. I don't miss it at all with my newer stick. Do newer games still feature FF effects?

Thanks for all the help so far guys keep it coming. Personally I don't expect I'll be getting a FFB stick IMO its kinda annoying and it makes the stick more expensive and easier to damage.

A quick question for FatCat: How long have you had the Sidewinder? Since the 3rd stick axis is what caused the problem with this one and from what I've read its a common problem for others as well I'd like to make sure I'm not going to need a new stick in a year or less again. The Freedom looks very similar to the current one which is good the only complaint I have is that its not quite as responsive as I'd like.

ChrisReid said:
What do you use the force feedback for? I only ever used mine for vibration effects in Prophecy and Secret Ops, and I mostly turned them off after a while. I don't miss it at all with my newer stick. Do newer games still feature FF effects?
The ever popular Flight Commander supports it :). I've used FF on the mechwarriors, xwing alliance, and Freespace. Don't know about newer games. FF is not for everybody. Looks like Starlancer supports it too.

The most important question: How much do you want to spend on the stick?

Re Trackballs: IMHO they suck big. The most useless device ever. Even worse then touchpads. Give me a mousestick over either any day.

I once knew a guy back in my LAN Partying days who could dish out the ownage in Quake 3 Arena with a trackball. I had all kinds of respect for that guy.

Oh yeah, Mechwarrior FF was kind of neat when you fired different guns. I think I might have turned it off for Starlancer.

I think ace had to use a trackball for a little while at one point and got pretty good at it.

I use a CH Combatstick USB, works pretty well for the Windows games, and fully programmable. Only thing I find is that I have pretty small hands and have some difficulty reaching all the buttons and hats, so I'm now considering a Saitek X45 combo.

I've got the Saitek X52 combo and im quite happy with that one, before that I had the Sidewinder, Logitech Wingman, and the CH Flightstick. The wingman didnt last too long though, neither did the Flightstick.

The X52 is pretty smooth in the stick, sometimes a little too touchy, but the functionality it brings kinda beats that back.

Well With christmas and my birthday both coming up soon and this being more or less the top thin on my list of non-neccesities to buy I'm not really worried about price. I'd rather buy an expensive stick I enjoy and that lasts for years than a cheap one that I dislike and dies on me which the other stick has now done completely.

I need a new stick, too. Though, I've needed one for several years...I've been nursing mine along with no trigger.

Trackballs take a lot of getting used to, but once you get over the learning curve (it took me a few months; I started using one to play Quake) it's totally worth it, especially for FPS games. Some people prefer mice, which is cool, but Trackballs work better for me (I use the ones that have the ball controlled with your thumb, like the TrackMan Marble from Logitech).

Back