A few Wing Commander questions

They knew about the early Skipper-missiles but those had to decloak every few seconds, so the Claw would have seen them coming. This was also the first, and IIRC for 10 years the only time Confed encountered a cloaking fighter, and Blair's flight recorder data was missing or destroyed so Tolwyn assumed that Blair was making up the story about the cloaking fighters to cover his failure.

Sure, the idea of cloaking technology was nothing new but the technology where it might be feasible has only come about in the past few years. Back in 1990, 91, it would be considered fiction.

There's more to this story than has been said thus far.

The fact of the matter is that the Confederation *did* know about the fact that the Kilrathi were developing stealth fighters -- it's even mentioned in the intell report on the Skipper found in the Confederation Handbook. In Super Wing Commander, Halcyon (supposedly a superb tactician) is adamant in his belief that the Kilrathi are preparing to deploy them...

... but it's *Tolwyn* who argues against them ever time. He fights with Halcyon (in SWC), he fights with Blair (in WC2), he fights with himself (on WCA.) He says it directly in the Academy episode -- his pride won't let him believe that the Kilrathi have developed a war-ending technology.

Too bad we don't learn more about Halcyon... I think his story would be an interesting one to know more about.

Does it go into detail about whether or not the Kilrathi are thought to have stealth tehnology or the ability to actually cloak. That might be an important factor to consider. Either way it displays one of the many human aspects in Wing Commander, how pigheaded people can get.

I think what Confed 'knows' is that the Kilrathi are working on developing stealth fighters (of both types.) I think the analogy is similar to the race for the atomic bomb -- it's something that's perceived as the war-winning technology that's within the grasp of present-day scientists... and Tolwyn refuses to believe that the Germans will get there first.

It always felt to me more like Tolwyn was saying "invisible fighters can't exist" rather than "the Kilrathi can't have them". It was like he didn't just consider Blair to be lying, but that he thought Blair must be delusional even to imagine such a thing.

It always felt to me more like Tolwyn was saying "invisible fighters can't exist" rather than "the Kilrathi can't have them". It was like he didn't just consider Blair to be lying, but that he thought Blair must be delusional even to imagine such a thing.

There's also "the dog ate my homework" factor against Blair's case.

Back