A few things I've noted.

U

Unregistered

(Sorry if I'm repeating what others have said. I browsed around and didn't see this pointed out anywhere.)

1. When dying in a mission and reloading the game, any enemies that you were facing are still there. From the old game. If you are facing e.g. 10 kilrathi in the current system, die, then try again, you're now faced with 10 + (10-killed before death). The next time you're faced with 10 + (10-killed before death) + (10-killed before death the last life), and so on.

At one point (before completely giving up) I was up against ~30 or so kilrathi. They, needless to say, blew me to smithereens.

2. At one point when I entered the game (after hitting Esc+Q from within space) I was put back IN space. There was no base nearby and I had a good amount of enemies nosing my arse. Dying, I was respawned in space. I literally could not reload a game. Eventually managed to flee like a mouse and reload a better situated game, though.

3. When fighting "the commies", I landed at the ship I am trying to protect to repair and such. When I left, I 1) got the "You don't understand!" speech again, but I also had the ones I left before landing + a whole fleet of new lads to face. Totally impossible to pull off, with my humble skills (and my lack-of-a-joystick).

#1 is by far the most annoying thing, though. If I recall correctly, the old game did something similar, but I'm not sure. I don't remember suddenly being swarmed by the same fleet cloned and recloned as I failed in the missions, though. :|

I am presuming that if I fly a few systems away, the area will be reset? That might help me deal with the currently two areas swarmed.

Great game though. Love it. Thanks.

If you last saved your game while docked on a ship (i.e. Drayman, Paradigm, etc.), chances are that when you load that game back up that ship no longer exists, so you are dumped into space; I try not to save while docked on ships for this reason. The fact that there were enemies around is probably just an unfortuante coincidence.

Also unfortunately, to "reset" enemies, you must quit the game and restart it.

Alright, thanks, that definitely explains it. But uh, maybe this could be fixed? What if someone saves on a ship and then fails to flee to some base somewhere? They can't play Privateer anymore? :eek:

I guess so. Or just try again, eventually you will have a clear path. Or you could avoid saving on a ship unless you have another savegame back on a base somewhere.

The prob is that.. you can't load. You keep being respawned in space. Even restarting the game puts you in space.

that makes it a bit hard to load another save, true. Good reason not to allow saves on a ship. Still, spawning in space can't be all that bad. Spawn in space and fly to a base. You'll make it eventually.

On a related note - to evade fire:

- afterburn
- target your destination
- turn to center your target in your HUD and then offest it horizontally so it is near the edge of the screen
- Start a rolling as fast as possible towards your target (i.e. roll to the right if your target is to the right of center on your HUD, roll to the left if your target is to the left of center on your HUD) while pulling up gently. Alternatively, roll away and push down gently.
- if you want to get really sick, add in some yaw :)
- watch everyone try to shoot you

kalle said:
The prob is that.. you can't load. You keep being respawned in space. Even restarting the game puts you in space.
The game always loads your last savegame file, when you start. If your last savegame puts you into a tight spot, such as the one described above, can't you just go back to Windows, open My Computer and then delete the savegame file in question, thus forcing the game to automatically load the last savegame before that?

PrivateerBurrows said:
The game always loads your last savegame file, when you start. If your last savegame puts you into a tight spot, such as the one described above, can't you just go back to Windows, open My Computer and then delete the savegame file in question, thus forcing the game to automatically load the last savegame before that?
Your savegame updates everytime you save. It does not record where you where and what upgrades you had when you previously saved. So, if you delete it, your progress will be lost, and you will either have to start a new game or load another saved game.

A nice solution is to rename the savegame. Then, when everything fails, and it starts a new game (I hope it does, instead of crashing, I've never tried this), then you load the renamed savegame.

Of course, a better solution would be a config variable:

<var name="load_last_savegame" value="false"/>

So that it just asks what to do (or directly starts a new game, and then you load).
Frankly, I think that last option is really easy to do. I'll try to do it myself.

Note: since the variable I talked about does not exist, I'm just proposing it, in case anyone gets confused about it

JKeefe said:
Also unfortunately, to "reset" enemies, you must quit the game and restart it.
As long as this thread has come back to life, I might as well mention that will no longer be true in the patch.

Back