A couple of Wing Commander: Academy Series questions.

DyNaMiX

Spaceman
Hi all.
First off, Garahl nar Hallas = Hobbes??
Second question, with Commodore Tolwyn in command of the Tiger's Claw, what happened to Captain Thorn?

DyNaMiX said:
First off, Garahl nar Hallas = Hobbes??

Yeah, if season 2 was made.

DyNaMiX said:
Second question, with Commodore Tolwyn in command of the Tiger's Claw, what happened to Captain Thorn?

I think that Thorn came in to replace Tolwyn, just prior to the beginning of the game, while Tolwyn was promoted to Rear Admiral. (Or, if you believe the movie is cannon, Thorn replace Admiral Sansky who replaced Tolwyn.)

Taken from a discussion between me and LOAF:

As for Tolwyn being captain of the Tiger's Claw... well, here's my theory:

He was captain of the 'Claw as of early-2654. On 2654.048 he was recalled to Earth to brief the Joint Chiefs for "several weeks" (Confed Handbook). That should take up the time up until around 2654.070 (~three weeks). He then headed back to the 'Claw, which was under refit at Sirius -- which takes us up to .072 (Red & Blue). Red and Blue happens, and Tolwyn finds out he's been reassigned -- and Captain Sansky is made commander of the Tiger's Claw. The WC movie takes place, Sansky is killed and Gerald 'unofficially' takes command (in Pilgrim Stars). Gerald expects to be formally made captain of the 'Claw (it's mentioned in PS that he never is), but instead is assigned elsewhere -- Captain Thorn is brought in to command the carrier. Some time passes, a couple of WC1 series' occur... and then we bring in an event mentioned in the Wing Commander 3 novel (referring to Tolwyn):

"At the height of the action he relieved old Captain Thorn, the ship's commanding officer, and filed charges against him for cowardice in the face of the enemy. Thorn had later been reinstated, but no one serving with the old man ever quite forgot the day."

Whatever event this is hasn't been told yet -- but it happened when Blair was a second lieutenant. The WCA episodes can immediately follow these, with Tolwyn still commanding the 'Claw. Tolwyn is then promoted to Rear Admiral and moved elsewhere just before SM1... Halcyon takes provisional command during Operation Thor's Hammer (Halcyon references commanding the 'Claw during SM1) -- and then Thorn returns when the 'Claw goes back to human space (in time for SM2).

Regarding Garahl:

They're not the same character, though: I've seen some of the story outlines for Season 2, though -- which would have had Ralgha
replace Garahl as commander of the Ras Nik'hra after Garahl defects. I seem to recall they were closely related... I'd like to say
brothers, but I'm not entirely sure.

Okay cool that clears things up. I was hoping that Hobbes was not being replaced by another character. I also though that Thorn would would replace Tolwyn when he became an Admiral. In the character biographies in the press release, it mentions Tolwyn commanding the Tiger's Claw when it destroyed the Sivar dreadnaught (Secret Missions one) which would mean that he was in command when Maverick finally came aboard as a graduate of the academy.
I like to think that Thorn simply replaced Tolwyn when he came onboard and that was that.

Also what information is there on season two? It's a shame it never came out! :(

Back