A bad gunner in need of advice.

ChazZio

Spaceman
Oi.

I like using the guns in Wing Commander because they never run out of ammo.

BUT I CAN'T SHOOT STRIGHT IT SEEMS!

Ok, here's the breakdown of my preformance in the according games:

WC1: Here I am the best. I am good at the older simulators, and can time my shots perfectly.

WC2: Ok here to. Especially with the Epee.

Secret Ops: But on this game and it's freeware addons.... I SUCK!

Can someone give me some pointers on using the guns? I'm tired of relying on my missles to do the work for me!

Aim for the little green circle. And don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes.

I always used to shoot at the green circle, and I'd miss every now and then, but I had a higher success rate when I aimed a little bit infront of the green circle.

if the green circle is anything like in WC4 and WC3 shooting a little in front of the circle would probably be best. the green circle is pretty much needed to hit because the target is moving, so is the circle and so aiming in front of the circle will lead the target, which is a need even in reality.

Anxiety said:
if the green circle is anything like in WC4 and WC3 shooting a little in front of the circle would probably be best. the green circle is pretty much needed to hit because the target is moving, so is the circle and so aiming in front of the circle will lead the target, which is a need even in reality.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that and hope that it works.

RFBurns said:
Yell at them with a firm voice. :D

:mad: I trued that. They are Nephilm, heartless, mindless monsters whose soul goal is the complete and total destruction of all Kilrathi and Terrans!

Yelling at them is something they do not understand!

They are EVIL!!!

The old axiom in the Revolutionary war was "Aim Small, Miss Small". This meant if you aimed for a man, chances were greater that you missed him. However, if you aimed for a button on the man's jacket, chances are you'd still hit the man, but miss the button.

Aim for the green bouncing ball and "lead in" with your targets. If you see a fighter coming in straight at you, fire your guns at him and then launch a missile right before he peels off to turn away. Usually, the missile will at least drop his shields, leaving you with the front and rear sheild arc open for hull hits.

Always lead the lead pipper and you will hit with most of your shots. It's just a matter of learning how fast certain shots travel and deciding how much to lead the pipper.

You shouldn't have to lead with energy weapons at all. After all, should'nt the shots be traveling at the speed of light?

This is a game, not reality. Even so, non-beam guns like the mass driver certainly don't fire speed-of-light projectiles.

[Interesting that you could fire directly at your target with the Stormfire Mk I...]

Wedge009 said:
This is a game, not reality. Even so, non-beam guns like the mass driver certainly don't fire speed-of-light projectiles.

And neither do speed-of-light guns, apparently!

Ok, I am gunning a bit better now.

Avg on SO before: 15%
Avg now: 35%

Considering that guns aren't to accurate to start with, that is a big improvement! Moreover, my missles are not used as much, so I level the enemies with guns!

Thanks for your help everyone. Thanks to you all, I finally beet another mission! Now I have a scramble again in Corage 4. Time to kick some alien @$$!!! :cool:

I always use dogfighting tactics to put myself behind an enemy and pummel his six. Either that, or I'd start by charging the formation from the start, and knocking out one of them before the fly-by. Following someone through a turn, I love to use a lead pursuit firing solution, followed by direct tailing (possibly with a missile once their shields were low enough, depending on which WC game I'm playing)

I also use bursts of fire, not hails. That gives your capacitors a chance to recharge, which allows your heavier guns to fire more often.

A thing to add.

Be sure it actually hits the ship. Sometimes shooting at the reticle actually makes you miss.

tactics v. 1: if you arent getting shot a lot, *ignore* anyone tailing you and focus on targets that are tailing your wingmates... they seem to dodge a lot less and a burst of guns + missile will often drop them before they have a chance to evade. Great way to use heatseekers.

Tactics v. 2: if your getting shot a LOT, especially with missiles, pick the nearest target and smack it in the face with a full-guns salvo. If it doesnt turn, do it again. Targets you tail are often poor choices to shoot since they seem to be able to avoid your fire at will except from point-blank, so make sure you can see into whatever sorry excuse for a tailpipe they may have before you shoot it.

Be very precise with your gunnery. Don't fire a hail in the hopes that you will hit your target because you'll drain your capacitors and when you get on his tail and realize you have no gun power, you can't paste his ass. Aim for the underside of fighters, they tend to be weaker there. Also, if you have rather good aim, and the ordinance isn't required for something else, fire off a dumbfire. It will destroy nearly every fighter if it hits.

Just my two cents.

try to predict where your target goes. in wcso some ships fly the same pattern if you're on their tail. it's just a matter of time before you see that pattern. what i do when an enemy ship is outflying me is taunt it and go head on. be sure that you fire before he does, and when you're in a light fighter dodge out with the first hit if you go head on with a heavy fighter. what a good trick is when you go head on is to release a missle (one with homing capabillities) when he is dodging out. that will give you some time to line up when he/she/it is busy trying to loose the present you just game him/her/it

Back