7PM CST...noone playing Freelancer online

deelee74

Spaceman
Freelancer is arguably the most important game in PC gaming history for the future of the beloved space genre. It has been out a full day and I found that absolutely noone was playing online when I searched for internet games. Somebody please tell me that it is a problem with my internet connection!!! If not, it means that noone is buying Freelancer and the end of the genre is near.!!!!

Or it means most people are playing single player to get the hang of things...

The end was in 1999. Every space combat sim after WCP failed in some level... FS2, Tachyon, Starlancer, X. Was Phoenix even released?

Of course, they can rise from the dead. Until recently, the RPG genre was pretty much dead. But then a game came and created a new RPG fever.

Hmm.. well.. I haven't even opened my retail copy yet. You might stop by #Wingnut once in a while and see if anyone wants to play.. We'll probably be playing on a certain server.

The new RPG that came out and revieved the genre was Diablo. Most features that separate Freelancer from other games in the genre are taken from Diablo. Computer Games magazine's preview of Freelancer (current issue) has its developers mentioning Diablo at least 5 times as inspiration.

Originally posted by deelee74
Freelancer is arguably the most important game in PC gaming history for the future of the beloved space genre. It has been out a full day and I found that absolutely noone was playing online when I searched for internet games. Somebody please tell me that it is a problem with my internet connection!!! If not, it means that noone is buying Freelancer and the end of the genre is near.!!!!

Cool off dude. Give em a week and they'll be on.

Originally posted by Delance
Was Phoenix even released?

Yes it was. I bought it for $2 or so recently. Doesn't run on my machine however. Either I get about 10 FPS (D3D) or the game crashes (Glide) or it is ugly as hell with a resolution that looks like 320x240 (but claims to be 640x480).
Didn't bother to play it because of that.

Wow, I didn't even notice. And Team17 is kinda nice. It didn't run beacuse the game sucks, or beacuse of your machine?

For some odd reason, my copy does not have a multiplayer ID with it; where would I got to create one? (Checked everywhere on my comp 4 it; no go.)

What do you need it for? The computer creates it during the installation and automatically gives it out when you connect to a server.

Back