787 Completes First Flight (December 15, 2009)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
The Boeing 787 took to the skies for the first time this morning over Western Washington. Its three hour test flight started in Everett, headed out briefly towards the Pacific Ocean and ended in Seattle. The 787 is the first commercial jetliner to be made out of mostly lightweight composite material, which allows the plane to consume less fuel while providing a more comfortable cabin interior. Some 850 have already been ordered by more than 50 airlines. The sticker price is approximately $175 million US each. Passenger flights should begin by the end of 2010.

--
Original update published on December 15, 2009

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice plane, good colors :)

I'd love to pilot it some day..

Dreamliner is very modern and among other things very light and economical..

Beautiful. I would love to see a Dreamliner in "Air Force One" colors. I think the next addition to the "Air Force One" fleet is probably going to be a low hour 747-400 in FY2017 most likely from the "Special Air Service"/NASA... sigh

I think I'll go find a download of the Dreamliner for FSX :)

I was at the Museum of Flight that day! :cool:

I had just finished my docent training course and stuck around to watch it land.

We all had a good laugh that it just HAD to be cloudy and overcast the day that the news crews where there. Must uphold the myth of Seattle’s weather. :p

I like the shape of its wings. It looks pretty.

I love how much the wings flex as the plane lifts off. You can see it somewhat in these two shots taken just before and just after landing. There's quite a curvature to the wings while the plane is in the air (they're actually probably in the process of coming down in the first shot, since the main gear is down), and then they lie flat again once the plane is on the ground. It's like a bird spreading its wings.

787firstflight5.jpg
787firstflight6.jpg

I was at the Museum of Flight that day! :cool:

I had just finished my docent training course and stuck around to watch it land.

That's lucky, it landed early!

The wings aren't actually curved-designed, they apparently have enough flexibility to bend when providing lift for the plane. It does look beautiful, it gives a little bit of an "organic" feel to the plane, at least on the pics I've seen.

And Airplane #2 went up this morning!

It's got the livery of launch customer ANA.

787firstflight7.jpg
787firstflight8.jpg

Back