3D Models TODO list

Can one suggest items to the list? I think that 3D technology having advanced so much since the years of Privateer and WC, we could have 3D modeled ship interiors (dashboard, computer screens, seats), so that as the ship rotates, light from nearby stars can cast moving shadows and produce highlights on shiny parts, and so that flashes from explosions nearby can be reflected off the objects inside the ship.
I could try and do some of the work, but I only have Wings3D, and only used it once. But I AM willing to try.
The modeling could attempt to approximate the original ship interiors, but preferably would try to allow a greater outside view field. I believe the reason the original game put so much inoperable hardware on the dashboard was in order to REDUCE the field of view, for that resulted in less 3D vertexes needing to be projected, and therefore higher frame-rate; but with today's 3D hardware that shouldn't be necessary. So, personally, I'd opt for removing keyboards, switchboards and mixer boards that aren't operational, and move the computer screens down a bit, or towards the corners.
Then, F2 and F3 could cause the head to turn continuously (with a max angle of, say, 150 degrees ;-)
And F4 could turn the head up, as many of the ships feature a transparent roof.
Then F1 would return the head to looking forward, also continuously, stopping at straight ahead. These functions could be also served by the cap switch on some joysticks.

3D yes please. Better views. No thank you. Much of the charm of my Tarsus would be lost if I could accually see the pirates bearing down on me. Not to mention what it would do to my blood preasure. I like my cozy little cabin just the way it is... Well could I make a speical request for fuzzy dice and a hula girl?

Umm.. one should be able to find travel companions at bars, now that I think of it.
Also, it should be possible to get plants to put around the cabin, to make it nicer.. ;-)
Okay, I'm gonna try and make a Wings3D model for the inside of a Tarsus, and keep it as is. I only used that program once, as I said, and had a very hard time with texturing...
Well, we'll see how it goes.

One thing I'm thinking of, BTW, the screens of cheap ships will be convex, those of midpriced ships flat, and those of expensive ships concave. It will make a great, if subtle difference to the ergonomic feel.

I came upon a intresting site, most of you modelers will know of it. Simple search with the words "wing commander" words showed up a lot of nice threats of WC models.

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/

This one REALLY got my attention :) Note: thats a 50k model. Guess what ship she is ;)

tigersclawcloseup.jpg

dan_w...i'd advise not doing up a tarsus cockpit.....see shot below.

http://priv.solsector.net/Brads WIP Dumb Bin/tarsus_06.jpg

http://priv.solsector.net/Brads WIP Dumb Bin/tarsus_07.jpg

already taken care of....as is the centurion (almost)

as a side note.....if you're going to model, keep it true to the original, if you need references for stuff, talk to me. i'm kind of overall qaulity control for any mesh that goes in, cyb's done a great job in keeping things hella accurate. i expect the same from any other models, or else they will need to be fixed.

No idea what ship it is, but it looks awsome!

On another topic, for a sec, anyone can tell me how to save a screenshot? Or do I need another program to capture the screen? I just need shots of the look inside the Tarsus, looking forward, to the sides, and back, as to try and model the inside. I'm running the game in Linux, btw.

Wow, I'd rather put that in than the current Claw model... afterall it's a time-honored design, someone would have refit it.

And I want Type R stickers. *rimshot*

Dan_W: Not sure for the *Nix version, but in the Winders version a screenshot is the i key, and it dumps a *.png file in the Textures directory.

Heh, thanks for the comments on the Bengal refit guys, it was a bit of a test for me. Still, at 50k I don't think VS could handle it in game (or at least most people's PCs couldn't). :) I'm actually surprised someone found that model, the thread's been dead for a bit.

Maj Striker: VS could easily handle a 50k model, as long as there aren't hundreds of them around at any one time.

I dont know about freelook cockpit, traditionally every WC game has had four views... I liked best the option to go between traditional cockpit and HUD only which is already there. If you want to do that be my guest though by all means :)

Maj.Striker said:
Heh, thanks for the comments on the Bengal refit guys, it was a bit of a test for me. Still, at 50k I don't think VS could handle it in game (or at least most people's PCs couldn't). :) I'm actually surprised someone found that model, the thread's been dead for a bit.

Hehe ... found it pure by blind luck. I was searching in google for information regarding one of the ships, and i stumpled upon scifi-meshes forum with one of the ships models. So i ended up doing a search on the forum for "wing commander" to see what other models people posted ( most i already have seen ), and then i noticed this one ...

Lets just say, my jaw was on the floor :)

To be honest, i'd loved to see here in the game ( as a uniek ship somewhere on the battlefront ). Aka, only 1 in the game, if she dies, she get's respawn somewhere else, but always only ;)

I think VS can handle it widout much problems. Most models are 5k max, but the space itself is empty. If you look at FarCry, HL2 etc, the models are also 5k if i remember correctly ( or was it 3k or 8k? ), but there you have a entire 3d enviroment that also needs to be rendered, what VC doesent need to do :)

spiritplumber said:
I dont know about freelook cockpit, traditionally every WC game has had four views... I liked best the option to go between traditional cockpit and HUD only which is already there. If you want to do that be my guest though by all means :)
If the cockpits were all modelled in 3D, there's no reason you couldn't offer both the traditional 4 views and additionally a free-look view on top of that.

Back