32-bits Z-Buffer on ATI Radeon video cards works - here's how

PopsiclePete

Mission programmer
Many of you have ATI Radeon video card and can't play Standoff in 32-bits Z-buffer mode.

I've built a second computer for my wife with spare parts, and the best video card I was able to salvage was a ATI Radeon 8500 LE 128 Mb. I installed the lastest catalyst drivers and control panel (version 1.2.2172.2074) for the card, and took a look at the options there. To my surprise, 32-bits Z-buffer is disabled by default in the ATI driver. Simply enabling the option allowed me to play Standoff in 32-bits mode !

ZbufferOnATI.JPG

Thats really great... However which Version of catalyst are you using? I have a Radeon X800xt and still can't get it to work. That option doesnt seem to exist in my Catalyst control center and the options you can see in the screenshot below don' fix it either.

Attachments

• ccc.JPG
    ccc.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 191
  • ccc2.JPG
    ccc2.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 181
AD said:
Thas really great... However which Version of catalyst are you using? I have a Radeon X800xt and still can't get it to work. That option doesnt seem to exist in my Catalyst control center.

Ditto, on card model and problem

AD said:
Thats really great... However which Version of catalyst are you using? I have a Radeon X800xt and still can't get it to work. That option doesnt seem to exist in my Catalyst control center and the options you can see in the screenshot below don' fix it either.
I used Catalyst version 05.13, you use version 06.1. I tried downloading the newsest 6.2 and installing it on my system, and the option is still there :confused: There must be something else at work here...

Will_Styles said:
I have the same problem and I have a 9600. Maybe ATI removed 32 bit z-buffer support on newer cards?

At this point, that sounds like a likely possibilty

You have to wonder why its an option you have to enable on any card, its not like it should be a hardware issue as I use 32bit zbuffer on my x800xt with OpenGL for the majority of my test apps.

Yeah wouldn't seem to make sense to stop supporting it. Maybe it's for debugging, might be best to check ATI's support forum to see if they mention what's going on.

Back