2650 Landreich Sector Map

Howard Day said:
What's that you say? A smuggler's....base? That both Cats and Apes visit? No, No.... We'd NEVER do something like that...hem. Nope, never. Even if we were doing something like that....well, we just wouldn't do it. :p
Okay. That's outta the way. Yes. Don't go looking for it either. It's not out there. Nope. And it's certainly not near anything you might think it might be near, having read the books.

Me thinks the gentleman doth protest too much. :D

Features Question

I like the notion of fewer systems with more content in the system. I figured that this was choice you were making to reduce the need for a jump drive in small ships.

When I first heard that Pioneer is set in the WC1 era my first thought was that there will not be any turrets. My next thought was that jump drives won't fit on small ships... Based on recent posts, I'm guessing that you have chosen the era more for a backwater place with little policing (but, of course no smugglers... ;)) and that it has nothing to do with turrets (which are addressed in another thread I think...) Quick question, does the choice of era have anything to do with jump drive availability, ship killer torpedoes? (Alternatively, perhaps one could put a jump drive in a small ship but it might add enough mass/momentum to make the ship hard to manuver well.)

One thing that I really like about the Privateer/Universe remake is that I can change the mass of cargo so that being a merchant is now a challenge and having an unloaded ship gives noticably better performance in terms of turning rates and acceleration. On larger ships that don't have good performance (ie Galaxy) loading it up has an effect on performance but it is not too detrimental, meaning I set its base mass quite high... In contrast, loading up a Centurion (1/3 cargo of a Galaxy) has a more noticeable effect on it because you really miss the manuverability and acceleration with a Centurion. I also set it so that, for example, a cargo unit of uranium has more mass than a cargo unit of grain. (Personally I like the notion of having to choose between a fast nimble ship and less manuverable but fully featured ship but I can appreciate others might not agree...)

Quick Question: Will ships in Pioneer have different flight characteristics based on their systems, ordinance and cargo?

BTW, Pioneer looks great. Brad, the ships are professional quality. I've been amazed by the quality of the ships in other projects here at CIC but Pioneer is on a whole new level.

cheers,
Floater

Thanks, i should note that howard has done a helluva lotta modeling for this project, we're actually dead even when it comes to that department, however howard has done the real brunt of the work with texturing...the mans a freaking genius!

as far as differing characteristics according to ship loadouts, there won't be. it was a consideration at one point, but ultimately decided against. trust me, things will be plenty difficult for merchants out there. it won't be a cake walk in the least.

Hi Brad,

Thanks for getting back to me. I was mistaken in thinking that Howard's contribution was more focussed on the game engine, structure of the campaign and storyline and that you had taken on the models and visuals for the models. I'm guessing that Howard is a very busy guy.

Regardless, the visuals so far are great. My hat goes off to all of the contributors. If the quality of the game is consistent with the quality of the visuals so far then I doubt that I will even notice that the ships don't change flight characteristics...

cheers,
Floater

Hello this is Andropolos, and I just posted some thoughts on what Oecumene and ilios would/should look like. If you want to comment go there...

One question to WC gurus - what is and in what is specific Oasis system (the orange one)? - there's only one such system in the whole universe...

IIRC, it's just a system with an independent government.

It might also contain weird aliens... from WCATV? Not sure if that's the right system.

Eder said:

It might also contain weird aliens... from WCATV? Not sure if that's the right system.

What does IIRC mean anyway? I saw it many times still don't know the meaning of this acronym (?)...

Plasteel Skull said:
One question to WC gurus - what is and in what is specific Oasis system (the orange one)? - there's only one such system in the whole universe...

Eder said:

Right, the Oasians had a treaty with the Kilrathi that recognized their planet as a peace zone.

So if I'm right, by looking at the map, the jump holes aren't fixed points in space but have an ellipical orbit like the planets?

Jump points are the result of gravity distorting space to connect two points in the universe. Since stars and other massive bodies are constantly in motion, jump points would be too. If a star were to magically disappear, most of the jump lines to the space previously associated with that area would disappear along with it. If a planet were to fling off from a star's orbit and out into dead space, it's theoretically possible for jump points to tag along with it or form around it.

Bingo. Not only do the jump points move, so do the planets. (If you want to get technical, the jumpoints move because the planets move) All the systems will act like this. This means there will be a great deal of variety when you go out on say... a 5 nav-point patrol. They'll all be in different positions every time you go out. Pretty cool, huh?

Sounds neat. I presume that your nav computer will automatically keep track of the locations of known in-system jump points?

Yup. There will also be static mission nav points, of course...like drop your cargo HERE. These will just be spawned on a per-mission basis.

I was wondering if we might be able to get to Fawcett's world. I know which jump point it is, but would be fun to be able to get there. Maybe get a rescue mission to go find the colonists. ;-)

Back