#1 Enemy taunt of the decade goes to....

-danr-

Vice Admiral
STINGRAY -- pursuing a Jalkehi (after it had just nailed two of his colleagues in Broadswoards) unleashes a DF up its backside and yells

"You're gonna burn, asshole!"

You guys have a personal favourite anti-cat taunt...?

I remember thinking that all the cursing in Wing Commander II was *so* risqué at the time. Little did I know...

(Was Stingray "she went up like a tinderbox!" when he destroyed a capital ship? That one always got me -- your spur of the moment 27th century simile is a tinderbox? *Really*?)

I don't have a favorite one in the game, although there are some great ones.

Perhaps Vaquero's taunt when he kills a Kilrathi (although I don't remember how it sounds in english at the moment, I played the German version back then).

As far as I am concerned: I don't taunt them. I prefer killing silently. No time for taunting. Just moving in and blowing them into pieces.

btw: I think the Kilrathi have the better taunts "you pathetic descendants of monkeys!" is great. As well as "I will eat your heart and spit it out, terran" or "you cannot defeat the Drakhai!" You can hear their hate for our race. Just great. Especially the last one scared the hell out of me the first time I heard it. They are so sure that they will beat you (and they did that quite often...). And everybody knows they are among the best pilots the Kilrathi have. I was really scared by them back then. Kilrathi psycho tricks - they work!

EDIT: Many typos fixed

Hmmmm... well, really, why not "tinderbox"? People use that simile today - and how many of them actually know what a tinderbox is? Similarly, people say "darn it", without having the slightest idea of what darning means.

Granted, you'd expect a whole new set of similes to have evolved by the 27th century... but then we'd probably end up seeing some idiotic new swearwords of the "frak" variety. Next thing you know, Cobra would probably have used WC-frak twice in every sentence, to show how dark and edgy she is - because that's ever-so-cool.

So, all things considered, LOAF, I'm happy with the tinderboxes :).

your spur of the moment 27th century simile is a tinderbox? *Really*?)

My thoughts exactly! It's a word basically out of use even now, perhaps in six centuries time they will be available as a retro household commodity :D

As for the Kilrathi taunts, must agree with Aginor, always quite like the WC3 ace taunt, "Hahahaha, you LEAF eater...!"

Granted, you'd expect a whole new set of similes to have evolved by the 27th century... but then we'd probably end up seeing some idiotic new swearwords of the "frak" variety. Next thing you know, Cobra would probably have used WC-frak twice in every sentence, to show how dark and edgy she is - because that's ever-so-cool.

I'll agree with you there, I can't stand that stuff. Although, we did have some Kilrathi swearing...

(And as personally annoying as the proliferation of Battlestar Galactica and Firefly pretend-swearing is today, I do remember a brief infatuation with Larry Niven's equivalent as a teenager. I guess it's something you grow out of, which--as stupid as it seems--is something to keep in mind when writing for an audience.)

I remember thinking that all the cursing in Wing Commander II was *so* risqué at the time. Little did I know...

(Was Stingray "she went up like a tinderbox!" when he destroyed a capital ship? That one always got me -- your spur of the moment 27th century simile is a tinderbox? *Really*?)

Jericho (bad though it was) kinda blew all the games out of the water....

"Die MOTHER******"

"Hey Cole, now you know what its like to have a man inside you, HAHA!" Fuck you Delgato!

If we're including the novels, I've always been fond of: Bugs Bunny screws his mother.

In the games themselves, though, I admit after all these years alot of them blur together. But I'll never say no to a Kilrathi growling about their superiority.. usually right as my cannons are ripping into their reactors. Nothing gives comedic value than "You cannot defeat the Drakhai!!!!" as the pilot's ship dies halfway into their saying it.. yet they always had the respect to finish the taunt before blowing up :)

If we're including the novels, I've always been fond of: Bugs Bunny screws his mother.

I know everyone loves this joke and I get the reference and everything... so I hate to admit that something about it always made me very uncomfortable. I can't even put my finger on it -- but something inside my brain groans whenever I hear it mentioned.

I'll agree with you there, I can't stand that stuff. Although, we did have some Kilrathi swearing...

(And as personally annoying as the proliferation of Battlestar Galactica and Firefly pretend-swearing is today, I do remember a brief infatuation with Larry Niven's equivalent as a teenager. I guess it's something you grow out of, which--as stupid as it seems--is something to keep in mind when writing for an audience.)
Well, it is something that depends on implementation. I have to admit, I have always thought the fake swearwords in Firefly were really well done - for the simple reason that they were used exactly the same way real swearwords would and could have been used. Saying "Gorram" instead of "God damn" is purely a flavour choice - they could have used "God damn", and it wouldn't have affected the show, because it's still a fairly mild swearword, and because it's used so rarely. The first time I watched Firefly, I thought they just spoke "God damn" with a weird accent - it took me a few episodes to catch the notion that it was a made-up word.

On the other hand, the swearing in Battlestar Galactica (and, earlier, in Farscape) was terrible. It probably started off the same way as in Firefly, as a flavour choice - but it ended up childishly overused as a cheap way of making the show vulgar without having to deal with TV rules governing the use of swearwords. Look at us, we can say "fuck" fifty times in one show and nobody can complain because it's not really "fuck"! It's just plain childish - nobody in their right minds would use "fuck" multiple times because it loses impact and ends up sounding awful, so whatever made them think that it was all right to do it with "frak"?

(of course, there's also the reception by the fans, which is another matter, and the great equaliser between Firefly and BSG. Seeing "Gorram" all over the internet is no less irritating than "frak")

Not a taunt, but I always thought it very dramatic when a WC1 ace (Dakhath or Khajja?) dies shouting "The Void! The Voi..."

I just saw that I forgot to mention a great taunt by the Kilrathi:
"A proper fate for a coward!"
It was soooo mean. Really. They killed a fellow pilot of mine and laughed about him. I had a fit of rage every time that happened. Man was I mad.
That really worked.

Well, it is something that depends on implementation. I have to admit, I have always thought the fake swearwords in Firefly were really well done - for the simple reason that they were used exactly the same way real swearwords would and could have been used. Saying "Gorram" instead of "God damn" is purely a flavour choice - they could have used "God damn", and it wouldn't have affected the show, because it's still a fairly mild swearword, and because it's used so rarely. The first time I watched Firefly, I thought they just spoke "God damn" with a weird accent - it took me a few episodes to catch the notion that it was a made-up word.

On the other hand, the swearing in Battlestar Galactica (and, earlier, in Farscape) was terrible. It probably started off the same way as in Firefly, as a flavour choice - but it ended up childishly overused as a cheap way of making the show vulgar without having to deal with TV rules governing the use of swearwords. Look at us, we can say "fuck" fifty times in one show and nobody can complain because it's not really "fuck"! It's just plain childish - nobody in their right minds would use "fuck" multiple times because it loses impact and ends up sounding awful, so whatever made them think that it was all right to do it with "frak"?

(of course, there's also the reception by the fans, which is another matter, and the great equaliser between Firefly and BSG. Seeing "Gorram" all over the internet is no less irritating than "frak")

Not sure it's that much of a flavour choice, I'd think it was almost definitely a way of dodging the TV watchdogs. In BSG, if they actually said fuck every time frak was said, there's no way it wouldn't be cut by the censors. It is also a nod to the original BSG, which is always nice :)

As for the level of swearing, if I were in some (well most tbh)of the situations they find themselves in in BSG, I'd be swearing to an Olympic level :D.

Fot the taunts, I did always like 'Die Gato!'

As for the level of swearing, if I were in some (well most tbh)of the situations they find themselves in in BSG, I'd be swearing to an Olympic level :D.
Well, quite likely - but the thing is, fiction is not reality, nor is it ever meant to be. That's one mistake very frequently made by beginner and/or incompetent writers (I should know, I committed similar things a few times in Standoff :p ) - you assume that if someone would say something in reality, then that's how it should be in fiction, too. But it just doesn't work that way. The greatest works of fiction are those that completely flaunt reality. No living person could ever keep up with Shakespeare's characters - what kind of an idiot would end his life saying "Oh, I am slain!", and who'd ever have the presence of mind to always have a witty speech ready for the right occasion? In other words - yes, a real person in a BSG situation would probably break down and use "fuck" as noun, adjective and verb in every sentence... but that's just not good writing.

(on a sidenote, it's interesting how the actress playing Starbuck in BSG supposedly insisted that her character quit smoking after she realised that she's becoming a role model for little girls... but she didn't insist her character stop swearing...)

I guess it all comes down to opinion and taste. BSG was trying to be as real as possible (an oxy moron for a sci-fi show I know) whereas as far as I see it, Shakespeare was writing more on the side of entertainment, if that makes sense.
Personally I've always found swear substitution ridiculous, because when they say 'frak' we all know it means 'fuck' so why does society feel the substitution is better than the actual word?

I didn't know that last bit. I figured that they'd just run out of stogies :)

Back