YouTube Partnership email scam?

DaveO

Rear Admiral
I recently received some emails in regards to the Wing Commander videos I have on my channel. I figure that the probability of a scam is pretty high, but I've pasted the email content below on the small chance the email is legitimate. From my Google searches thus far, this is very likely a scam.

Your video Wing Commander 4: Intro Cinematics - Part 1 might be eligible for the YouTube Partnership Program, which allows you to make money from playbacks of your video.

Making money from your video is easy. Here's how it works: First sign into your YouTube account. Then, review and complete the steps outlined here:http://www.youtube.com/ivp?v=ms2sYa6yFRg.

If your video is approved, we'll start placing ads next to the video and pay you a share of the revenue as long as you meet the program requirements.

We look forward to adding your video to the YouTube Partnership Program.

Thanks and good luck!

The YouTube Team

I believe that this is a real program but that you wouldn't be approved--they have a real human check to make sure the video in question is your content once you actually apply.

I checked it out, and it looks legitimate. I won't participate though since it means those videos would get advertisements added to them, and that smacks of selling out as well as an additional inconvenience to viewers.

You wouldnt be eligible anyway as its from Wing Commander 4, according to partnership rules its needs to be 100% your content. The program that sent you that message just looks for certain viewing statistics.

Back