Your favourite WC1 NPC

I'm going to be the dissenter here and go with Knight. He always came across as a kind of underdog...not flashy, or the best gunner, or pilot, but not crazy, either. Yet in spite of that, he was a good pilot. I liked that. Kind of reminded me a little of Vaquero, my favorite WC3 character. For some reason, Knight was the best pilot on my wing, except for Hunter sometimes--I always got the lowest kill scores with Knight because he kept killing so many enemies. But I really liked him. I wonder what happened to him? I haven't read any of the novels... I always assumed he was on the Claw when she went up (having turned down the opportunity to become an academy instructor), and for that alone I wanted revenge!

Hunter - but more because of his character in the novels than anything in the game it's self.

Knight, Shotglass, and Halycon all died when the Tiger's Claw was destroyed. Generally if a character is on a carrier but never mentioned again in canon, like Stingray on the Concordia, we can assume they died along with the ship.

Wing Commander is a very bloody series afterall. Out of all your friends in the series only Paladin, Maniac, and Doomsday survive the war.

LeHah said:
Hunter - but more because of his character in the novels than anything in the game it's self.

I think his whole relationship with Kirha in FF and the little in FA is what makes him so great in my mind. Watching him trying to understand Kirha during FF is one of my favorite WC moments...

Falcon988 said:
Knight, Shotglass, and Halycon all died when the Tiger's Claw was destroyed. Generally if a character is on a carrier but never mentioned again in canon, like Stingray on the Concordia, we can assume they died along with the ship.

Wing Commander is a very bloody series afterall. Out of all your friends in the series only Paladin, Maniac, and Doomsday survive the war.
Did Doomsday die before WCP? Because then Maniac would be the only one to survive through all the games. :)

Falcon988 said:

Really? Not even those on Tin Can Sally?

My favorite was always Spirit. A portion of the reason is that she's Japanese. I myself am not, but I have plans to move to Japan within the next few years. The rest of the reason is that she is quite wise and polite, and KNOWS HOW TO OBEY ORDERS. Stupid Maniac. I wish I could shoot him down in WCI and have him stay dead in II, III, IV and WCP. Dammit.

Originally Posted by Falcon988

And the fact that Doomsday, of all people, manages to see the end of the war is quite ironic, given all the moaning he always does about how he (and everyone else) is "going to die" soon. :)

Lt.Death100 said:
Did Doomsday die before WCP? Because then Maniac would be the only one to survive through all the games. :)

Last we hear about him he's still flying out in the Landreich as a squadron commander under Lonewolf as of FC...

Falcon988 said:

I'm not sure that's really a safe assumption.

Lt.Death100 said:

Paladin is also still alive in Prophecy.

Falcon988 said:

And Jason Bondarevsky, Sparks McCullough, Admiral Tolwyn, Captain Eisen, Tamara Farnsworth, Jacob Manley...

Saturnyne said:
Really? Not even those on Tin Can Sally?

Do you have to ask? We see Rachel and Vagabond in FMV sequences in later games too.

Saturnyne said:
The rest of the reason is that she is quite wise and polite, and KNOWS HOW TO OBEY ORDERS. Stupid Maniac. I wish I could shoot him down in WCI and have him stay dead in II, III, IV and WCP. Dammit.

I wouldn't get mad at Maniac in Prophecy. If I remember correctly, you don't even fly with him much cause he's with that other squadron. But in Prophecy, besides break and attack, no one really follows orders. Try getting someone in that game to maintain radio silence. All they say is nope.

Originally Posted by Falcon988

Knight could have been out on patrol when the Claw was destroyed, meaning he probably would have ended up leaving the system on the Austin. And Stingray could have been reassigned to a front line carrier before the destruction of the Concordia. Or, he could have missed the destruction of the Concordia because, like Blair, he was wounded and grounded during the Battle of Earth. Or, for that matter, he might still have been assigned to the Concordia when it went down, but didn't die because he was in a fighter, doing his job at the time.

The encyclopedia entries on this website about Knight and Stingray don't say anything about whether or not they're dead. They could be dead... But, then again, they could still be alive. I'm not so sure it's a good idea to make assumptions either way.

I remember the mini claw reunion on the concordia in the beggining of WC2 where they say something along the lines of 'we're all here but maniac'

I give it a day before someone quotes the exact line.

"So, here we are… survivors of the Tiger’s Claw. I’m surprised there are so many of us left. Now all we need is Paladin and Maniac so we can all die together." - Doomsday

My fav was Iceman, cuz he's my hero. btw I was actually given the nickname Iceman (cuz I apparently sound cold as ice when I'm on the radio, plus I have the blonde tips like Iceman from Top Gun), I didnt just suddenly start calling myself that.

Hmm... I like quite a few NPCs from WC1. Lets stay safe and say Angel. She was portrayed well in FF. She also follows orders.

Originally Posted by RATM
I remember the mini claw reunion on the concordia in the beggining of WC2 where they say something along the lines of 'we're all here but maniac'

Funny... I just started playing WC 2 on DosBox this evening. So, I actually just watched the cut scene where Doomsday says that.

Unfortunately, from what we learn later on, we know that Doomsday's quote was inaccurate. After all, in Fleet Action we learn that Hunter is alive at that point as well. And, at some point after the events in WC 2 and the Special Operations, he even gets assigned to the Concordia.

Ah, well... Doomsday wasn't on the Claw for very long, so maybe he just forgot about poor Hunter. :)

I just started reading the WC3 novel again, and Blair briefly recalls Knight as one of his "fallen" comrades from the Tiger's Claw. Bummer.

I'm so stoked because I finally got WC1! I played some of it on SNES as a youngster but I intend to play it all the way through starting within the next coupla days. Don't have a favorite character yet, but having played Secret Missions I'm gonna go w/ Angel for obvious reasons : ) I also enjoyed Maniac's grim conversations about dying, we'll see what he has to say in WC1...

Shotglass in SWC. Always like to go "chat" with him after a mission and "hear" what he had to tell

Back