xbox 360 price

KillerWave

Spaceman
To any brazilian wingnuts out there with a xbox 360:

Last video-game plataform I ever bought was a playstation 2. I hadn't a dvd player, so the ps2 having it was a big plus.

Recently some xbox 360 titles like 'wc arena' and 'mass effect' got my interest and I've been thinking about buying it. There is a guy that worked with me that said he bought one for R$ 800. I've gone to the store he mentioned and they wanted to sell it to me for R$ 1.950! I looked at other stores and the cheapest one I found was around R$ 1.800. I don't want to spent that kind of money in a console, especially since I found it at amazon.com for U$ 540, that would get it around R$ 1.080 or less. So there are two questions id like to make, the xbox 360 is really that pricey over here? And there are any disavantages of importing one? I imagine dvd region would be one since in the US its region 1, and over here its 4. And if so, there is a way around it?

Thanks

Well, the Xbox 360 launched for R$2499 in Brazil. I don't know market trends in Brazil but here in America the price has dropped but not *that* much.

EDIT: Also you could only play region 1 games. Xbox 360 games are on DVD so with a region 1 Xbox 360 you'd have to also import region 1 games. This could be a hassle in the long run.

There is a guy that worked with me that said he bought one for R$ 800. I've gone to the store he mentioned and they wanted to sell it to me for R$ 1.950! I looked at other stores and the cheapest one I found was around R$ 1.800.
You most definitely will not find an xbox360 for under R$1.700 anywhere in Brazil. Last I checked the PS3 was even more expensive, and the Wii starts at around R$1.000. So yes, consoles in general are quite pricey here, considering that you can put together a beast of a computer with that kind of money.

If not for the fact that every idiot and their dog is dropping the PC as a gaming platform, there would be no reason at all for anyone to buy a console instead of building a gaming PC at the prices we are seeing in Brazil right now.

This may sound silly but it seems pretty cool that some of the technically knowledge advanced members like Killerwave, and Eder are native to Brazil :) That's awesome....On a different story, I used to work for one of the larger Tile companies up in the northeast that used to install tile and also do solid surface countertops.
Now brazil is worldwide known for having the best Rock Quarrys on the planet!! this includes materials like, marble,granite,diamonds, etc........and let me tell you...we had plenty I repeat plenty of american guys that THOUGHT they knew how to make any solid surface countertop in any shape or form....NOT every guy we had couldn't do one counter top in like a 2 weeks time....Then out of nowhere when I was at a Dunkin Donuts no less in Troy, NY and there was this Spaniard whom I asked if he was American... and we got to talking a little bit...have of which was in spanish the other half in american..I came to find out that he used to work construction and in rock quarrys.
His name was "Chu" could have been spelled "Chuy" I can't remember haha...But anyways moral of the story was Chu would work 16 hour days at the shop I worked at.. and would put out a counter top within the matter of about 2-3 days!!! instead of 2 weeks...I gave a greater respect to people whom...When brought up in America it makes you think of minority groups here in America as not trying to be mean but I guess less educated or experienced....Chu changed my thinking when he signed on to work there. And I have gained a greater respect for people in other countries....so since Chu was from Brazil and Killerwave is native to Brazil, Hats off to you for the work that you've done in the WC Community!! And thank you for the work that you've put out

If technically skilled, yes there are ways around it, but bad karma and stuff like that should come in your way of that decision.

360 is dropping prices here.. as is the ps3.. the prices you mentioned are WAY over what we see here.. in euro's.. but that may be because of the low dollar value opposed these days.

you can get a 360 for under 200 euro's here, and a PS3 won't cost you over 400 either.

We have the honor of sporting the highest console prices in the world. You can make a pretty kickass PC with the money you'd pay for a PS3 or 360.

And BTW, we're also getting Mass Effect PC next may 30th :)

It's so expensive because it's made entirely of marble and diamonds.

Taxes. And Diamonds.

(vidja games are considered chance games [like video poker and slot machines] by the Customs, so they pay ridiculously high entry taxes. If they were considered simple electronics or even toys, it would be a lot cheaper).

Eh, "chance games"? That sounds weird to me. Do you know what political reason there is behind it? Is it simply to make more money out of it or is there more to it?

Eh, "chance games"? That sounds weird to me. Do you know what political reason there is behind it? Is it simply to make more money out of it or is there more to it?

I think that it happened because the people who made that regulation have no idea of what is really a videogame. It's pure ignorance.

I'll sell my Xbox360 for $250. It's region 1 though... I got about 30 hours on the machine at the most. Already has Arena on it too. Just didn't take to the system. Can do so much more with a desktop/laptop imho.

You could try looking at the prices of a Region 4 XBox360. I've seen XBox360s in Australia for 400$AUD. I doubt you'll be able to get it that low by importing though.

Wikipedia says that these countries use region 4.
Code:
Australia, New Zealand, Caribbean, Central America, Oceania, Jamaica (except French Guiana), Mexico, South America

Why do they do region 1,2....so on? Is this to help with copy protection? Or is it simply because different countries have different braodcasting standards or a combination of several factors?

Games/content release worldwide can be done in factors, like movies being released on video/dvd in the us while they still are not in theatre in europe.. this had become rare in movies, but some 2006 ps/2 games are now being released in europe as "brand new"

As for myself, I'd rather go to the cinema on a day off and watch an afternoon show of the new indiana jones then rip it off a torrent site... copyrights never kill fans, marketing does.

Why do they do region 1,2....so on?
The primary purpose is enforcement of price discrimination. If one market is willing to pay more than another, the product can be sold at that higher price, and customers in that market won't have an easy time of importing cheaper copies from elsewhere.

Back