X-com: Terror from the deep base assaults

Dyret

Super Carrot!
I didnt want to revive my original X-com threads so i made a new one.
In terror from the deep seem extremely difficult. (I havent really tried more then two or three times though)
My squad panic and fall under alien control all the time, and the X-com project is eventually closed if i dont take out the bases. :( (WTF would they try to talk peace with a alien rase thats trying to wipe out humanity :confused: )

Any help is welcome.

First off, don't bother researching too much of the Gauss Weapons tree. Sonic weapons are so much better, it's insane. For example, the Sonic Pistol does more damage per shot than the Heavy Gauss. Clips are plentiful in the game as well. Zrbite is also a lot more plentiful, too.

To get some decent armor, you need to research a dead Deep One (capture a live one, too. You'll need it later). This will let you research Aqua Plastics, which will let you get some protection.

Grenades are your friends. Carry lots of them, and throw them at everything.

The best weapons to use against Lobstermen are either Stun weapons, or any HTH weapon. Since I can't remember how to get Vibroblades and Thermic Lances at the moment, try to get close enough to use your Thermal Tazer. Just a word of warning, the Lobstermen take double damage to HTH weapons and stun weapons ignore thier armor. Anything else won't make much of a dent, not even a Sonic Cannon.

And whatever you do, DO NOT RESEARCH A TASOTH COMMANDER, EVER. NOT EVER. EVEN IF IT'S THE ONLY THING IN YOUR RESEARCH QUEUE, DON'T. It causes a bug that prevents you from researching the Leviathan, the Avenger equivelent. If you don't have the Leviathan, you cannot beat the game.

Yes, this game is MUCH harder. You need to capture many live aliens here; deep one corpse is necessary for plastic aqua armor; live deep one is needed for ion armor (deep ones are "terror" aliens, and they work with gillmans - you must catch them early in the game, because later in the game they are rare); calcinite corpse is necessary for development of vibro blades/thermic lances (again this alien is rare). To keep your score high you have to attack alien bases almost every month (it is easy once you have disruptor pulse launcher - send few soldiers to find synonium device and blow it).

Oh man! I remember geting the 3.5" TFTD demo disk with my very first issue of PC Gamer. I played that mission a million times. It was pretty dang scary back then.

I acquired an X-COM collection disk a little while back, and have been playing through TFTD again. It is very very hard. The two part missions are a complete bitch to get through, and countries will sign on with the aliens left and right if you don't keep up with them.

It's frickin' hard, and I'm on the easiest setting!

Random tips: To make extra cash, set your technicians to build Craft Gauss Cannons; they're the best value for the time/cash it takes to build them.

Also, if there are any terror attacks, and you just don't have the manpower to take them on... send your Triton with one dude to the site, start the mission, and then take off again. It looks like a crappy mission report, but it's hundreds of points better than ignoring it completely.

You can have grenade relays. Set the timer to 1, and toss it from aquanaut to aquanaut. This can be a life saver if your front line is running low on grenades.

always always ALWAYS click the button that leaves your aquanauts enough time units to take a snap shot. ALWAYS ALWAYS. Unless you don't have to, then it's okay. But really, it's important. Your guys won't run out of energy, you're less likely to blunder into an ambush, and your guys will be able to take a shot during the enemy turn. GOOD THING!

Cannot say much tat wasn't already said.
Get the medium Gauss first its a weaker replacement for the laser. Then get the heavy sonic ASAP. Zrbit is much much more common the Elerium and isn't as much of a problem consequently.
Skip the Artefact Bases. They are HARD.
Also note that you can destroy a regular base by just detroying the center module. ONE SINGLE (alien) GRENADE can do this. You do not need to take out the whole aliens. If you take enough men often one of them will be in close proximity to that thing FROM THE START!.
I do not know about the Tashoth Commander. Never encountered that bug.

Its extremely vital to get living aliens. It can need AGES until you find one again if ever once you missed their first heavy assoult of each race (especially calcinites and deep ones).
You will have to learn to rely more on alternative weaponry like mines, grenades and tanks then on soldiers.
Do not attempt to play the game on easiest or hardest difficulty. In easiest I found that calcinites NEVER appear so you miss the whole close range combat tech tree. Hardest setting is just perverted. Enemies stand left and right by a door, and once you enter they kill you with a snap shot.

I actually stunned at least one of all races to get some nice info on them.In downed sub missions i use to stun every alien i can. And for weapons: Gauss pistol/thermal tazer-> Sonic blasta rifle/thermal tazer -> Sonic blasta rifle/thermic lance-> Sonic blasta rifle/heavy thermic lance.
the greatest problem with the base attack missions is that my aquanauts always panick or goes berserk. is that because of those flying brains? I upgraded plastic armor after only a few mission, but none of the other armors.

If i start whacking the bases from my last savegame, will i be able to save the X-com project?

Dyret said:
I actually stunned at least one of all races to get some nice info on them.In downed sub missions i use to stun every alien i can. And for weapons: Gauss pistol/thermal tazer-> Sonic blasta rifle/thermal tazer -> Sonic blasta rifle/thermic lance-> Sonic blasta rifle/heavy thermic lance.
the greatest problem with the base attack missions is that my aquanauts always panick or goes berserk. is that because of those flying brains? I upgraded plastic armor after only a few mission, but none of the other armors.

If i start whacking the bases from my last savegame, will i be able to save the X-com project?

Are your people possessed of high Bravery or MC Ability? If not, that may be why they are going beserk - those soldiers with a low MC Ability and Bravery are more apt to get taken over or terrorized than ones who are hardier. Fire the ones who have low Bravery (below 40) and MC Ability (below 60) stats when you see them.

If you are being attacked by Tentaculuats or Hallucinoids though... then your problem is low bravery. Only Aquatoids, Gillmen, and Tasoths use MC attacks, IIRC.

You cant really blame the poor guys either, but firing them is a good idea.
I really miss good old Adam Watson, he finished off the last base in UFO defence all by himself. (Isnt there some tool that can convert him to TFTD?)

TFTD is a great game. and it is REALLY hard. I finished it on the second easier setting, and I feel proud of it. I had one guy called Dieter Bergen (zee germans are great aquanauts in this game) that kicked some alien ass. And there was also Makoto.

Well, what can I add? use a lot of those guided super missiles on the last mission, you can simply blast your way to victory.

Or instead of firing them, take my advice from the last X-COM thread and just let them die. Survival of the fittest. The surest way to weed out the panicky types (before you can evaluate their molecular control stats) is to let them get mind controlled and killed. There's also a visceral joy to watching your own agents get slaughtered.

GeeBot said:
There's also a visceral joy to watching your own agents get slaughtered.
You sick son of a bitch.

Actually, if you end up winning the mission, you get all of their equipment back.

LOL. I really want to start playing this game again now!

I have it in my work laptop (i'm in another city, covering vacations), but the stupid machine won't "stretch" the 800x600 graphics to fill the whole 1024 lcd monitor... how can I change it? I've looked at the driver settings and in the bios config and found noting...

LCD can only use their basic resolution, everything else will run in just a portion of the screen.

Edfilho said:
But won't that waste the armor and weapons?

The armor will (of course) be wasted, but their guns, and other stuff will be salvaged by their friends. (if they survive, that is)
¨
But WTF would the humans having flying subs when they could have scubadiving avengers?

Theres also an issue with triton damage: in my first mission, a gillman threw a grenade inside my triton and blew half the shit away, but i didnt need repairs when it came back. Pretty amazing, huh. Maybe all those sailors i saved helped the aquanauts build a new flying sub. :D

Molecular control stats aren't the only component of panic. Keep an eye on bravery when you hire and also watch your morale. Casualties degrade morale, which can (and has) caused panics, even without MC being involved.

Moonsword said:
Molecular control stats aren't the only component of panic. Keep an eye on bravery when you hire and also watch your morale. Casualties degrade morale, which can (and has) caused panics, even without MC being involved.

http://www.crius.net/zone/showpost.php?p=235794&postcount=7

Haesslich said:
Are your people possessed of high Bravery or MC Ability? If not, that may be why they are going beserk - those soldiers with a low MC Ability and Bravery are more apt to get taken over or terrorized than ones who are hardier. Fire the ones who have low Bravery (below 40) and MC Ability (below 60) stats when you see them

Morale does affect things, though Bravery is still the factor which makes the difference. You can use painkillers to adjust morale up - you CANNOT adjust bravery.

Hey, maybe someone should make a Terrans vs. Kilrathi mod for X-COM, or one of its (spiritual) descendents, like Jagged Alliance or Silent Storm. That'd be kinda cool.

Lynx said:
LCD can only use their basic resolution, everything else will run in just a portion of the screen.

Incorrect. This entirely depends on the harware chip used. Actually most TFT/LCDs I know stretch the image to full screen by means of image processing. Which results in a (fairly) blurry full screen image. Which isn't exactly bad for your 320x240 games as it is a kind of AA ;-)

And how could I do that trick in a Armada 110? It seems to have a button to do that, but it won't work...

Back