Wow...fast

bassgoonist

Spaceman
Sorry if this is stupid, but I think its pretty funny :-p
Lets see those damn confeds catch me now!

Attachments

• Screenshot34.JPG
    Screenshot34.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 379
That's not an ejection pod, it's just the HUD-only view (press F1 twice). The speed comes from matching speed (press F9) to something that is going very fast.

Huh? I've matched speed to other ships and reached speeds over 2000 w/ afterburners (on a Cent). Lots of times.

Speed matching works with cargo as well as other ships - regardless of distance.

Speed matching also works by adding the velocity vector of the ship (i.e. it isn't *speed* matching, it's *velocity*matching) to your own velocity vector. This allows you to go e.g. 2000kps if you are in a Centurion with afterburners (1000kps) matching another ship going 1000kps (since 1000kps + 1000kps = 2000kps). This requires that you are traveling in the same direction as the other ship, of course.

I have noticed very high speeds from ejected pilots I have collided with. Is that how this came about?

I suspect that while ships are speed limited to their drive/afterburner capabilities, other objects are not. If a collision (or explosion?) gives enough energy to an item without destroying it then it could really get some high speed and just keep going with inertia. In a psuedo realistic game like this it's a bit of a shortcoming (even a bug) that such things can outrun you.

yeah, the fact that that piece of cargo was travelling faster than me was certainly a bug, I rammed, ergo it should be going at my maximum speed. :-p
eer wait...on second thought...its lighter than me...so it should go faster shouldn't it? If I remember physics right...

I personally feel its a big bug. I like the large amount of inertia when manuvering in game but if we are going to simulate (like in the orginal Wing Commander) an atmostphereic flight model, then we should stick to that. I am getting sick of seeing stuff bounce off into space. If you colided with any object it wouldn't bounce away at crazy speeds. It would go splat aginst your hull and you would take damage.

flyboy said:
In a psuedo realistic game like this it's a bit of a shortcoming (even a bug) that such things can outrun you.
That's why there is a MATCH SPEED command. If you use it, things can't outrun you.

Well unless they can out acclerate you. But still I would rather pick one. Real physics engine. Or a faked atmosphereic engine. One or the other. Picking bits and pices from both is both confusing and leading to exploits/bugs. Want to get accross/through that asteroid field quickly in your Drayman. Eject one pice of cheap cargo. Bump it. F9 and follow it through/around. Same thing with running away from combat, etc... Its a broken system. Good idea but I would rather all objects have friction or no objects have friction. To simulate the space feeling just keep the friction small as normal when manuvering, but all objects should have a MAX veloicty, like in an atmosphere. This would not need to be explaned other than, thats the way WC did it and thats the way we are doing it, and its more fun this way.

Honestly I don't think anyone really wants a true to life physics engine. The only way I can even imagine combat working in real life is with almost complete computer controll. You command the computer and the computer exicutes the manuvers. Manual manuvering just becomes far too complex far too quickly for a human to handle it, in real time.

bassgoonist said:
yeah, the fact that that piece of cargo was travelling faster than me was certainly a bug, I rammed, ergo it should be going at my maximum speed. :-p
eer wait...on second thought...its lighter than me...so it should go faster shouldn't it? If I remember physics right...
As JKeefe said, been there done that ;-). Velocity should be *twice* yours (if you are much heavier than it, and it is at rest).

The easiest way to see this is the argument I initially presented in the thread above (but forgot to convert the speed back to the "universe coordinate system", dumb as I am): We know we are free to choose any coordinate system we want. Selecting one centered on your ship (which is thus at rest in that "frame") reduces the problem to a rubber ball bouncing off the floor. Velocity of the ball after hitting the floor is minus the velocity it had before (which is minus the velocity of your ship). Remembering to convert the velocity back to the universe frame (*cough*), we get 2 times your ship velocity.

Back