Would you be intrested in purchasing a CD of Unknown Enemys music?

Would you buy the music CD?

• Yes

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • No

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters
No - since I've already said I don't like the quality, and I can just extract the music from the TRE file. :) Releasing the MIDIs might be a good idea, though.

The music wasn't all that horrible, though I did catch a little clipping in some of the loops that were used. True to the series, at the very least.

Was that yours in the first simulator mission? Clipping was really bad there. I had to reduce the volume to 80% before encoding to MP3 (to listen outside of UE).

Yea.. the music in the first simulator mission is Rampage's (likewise, the credits music is also his as the first sim mission and credits share the same music)... everything else is mine. I have more experiance with classical, jazz and pop styles... when it comes to techno... no clue. So Rampage took care of that one for us.

I'm suprised you're taking the extra time to extract and encode the music for listening outside UE. That makes me feel good... it says a lot about the music. The fact that you're taking that extra time and work to be able to listen without playing really says something.

Well... you see, that's why I only extracted the stuff I liked. :/ Again, I haven't played much of UE, so I'm not used to all the music yet.

I extracted Rampage's (heavily distorted) piece, and the first part of the 'inflight' music from the main missions. The rearranged WC1/2 music was okay, but quality was a bit on the downside for me, being used to KS too much perhaps. And y'know, even though I don't like the 'combat' music too much, I still find it playing in my head on occasion.

I've never played KS. I have all the games in thier original form (basically), so I never saw the need to get it. I didn't even know they revived the WC1/2 music for it. The arrangements I did I didn't want to be exactly like the original... I reorchestrated them slightly so they would work with the instruments I used throughout all of UE.

The combat music can be very catchy. The inflight music I personally like a lot as well. I just think a lot of the ideas that I had there, such as trumpet and french horn in a quasi-fugue/cannon (not entirely accurate use of the terms, but I can't think of any other way to describe it) and the occasional lick in the flute or strings really worked well.

I don't know how much of UE you've played, but there may be a few other peices in there that you like. I'm curious, what did you think of the Combat Damaged and the Capship Battle music? You may not have heard it yet, but I'm really curious about those 2, because absolutely no one (except those in the development team) has said anything about them.

I don't have KS, and don't really need it either, but the single biggest bonus, IMHO, was the music. The CIC has some of it here, if BL.org still has them up. The rumbling bass sounds great on headphones. George Oldziey was responsible for remaking the music for KS, BTW.

Alas, I've played very little of UE, but I did listen to the 12 pieces using GAP. Those few MGIs which GAP didn't seem to pick up, I just extracted using HCl's TRE Manager and Audio Tool. None of them really stood out to me at the time, although I did recall the main theme (I think) from one of the samples released before UE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot to ask: Rampage, your music has some very deep vocals buried underneath the noise - is there anything actually being said there?

You didn't like the combat music?! :(

Personally from the first time I heard it in game I was hooked, just did such a good job of getting my adrenaline pumping.

YAY! More things to listen to at some point today :p

I'll make sure I listen to it all though. And just so you know, telling me you recognize an MGI as the theme (which you are corret... at least part of it was prereleased) doesn't really tell me much. I did the music for this based on how it's done in the movies, there are a few big motives: The main theme, the 1st, 5th, sharped 4th progression in the combat music to name a few. The main theme in some form pops up a lot, in the same way as that combat motive (borrowed a bit from Holst's Mars, but don't all film/game writers steal from that song?) pops up at some point just about every time there's combat going on. There are several MGIs that use the main theme in some form.

I appriciate the fact that you like the combat music so much, Pedro. Obviously, my objective was to get everyone's adreniline pumping. (now we get very theoretical... just a warning). But, everyone's brain processes music a bit differently. I mean, what makes it music rather than simply sound? And what makes it pleasing to listen to? What makes a major chord trigger happiness, and a minor chord trigger sadness? What determines what's disonnant? Scientists are still trying to figure stuff like that out. Until they do, composer's have to guess based on thier own feelings and what's worked in the past what will make the listener feel how they want. While some people will process the music in a similar way to the composer, and therefore get the same feeling, not everyone will. I appreciate Wedge for being honest with me about it. The only thing I ask is what would work to get your adreniline pumping, so I know more things to incorperate in the future.

I liked the music a lot but I wont buy any UE cd...

Its as Wedge said. If I can extract them anytime I want, why should I buy a cd....:(

Ofcourse the MGIs are only half quality and I'm certain Needeham would throw in some nice extensions of pieces :D

I most certainly would create extentions of them. The way it's usually done on Video Game Soundtracks is they repeat the loop twice, and on a 3rd time fade out. I would do that with all the pieces that don't have an end to give them a definate end. And as Pedro said, they are only half quality.

I've got to say this is rather confusing, at the wcdc we got an unbelievable number of replies in favour of the music being released on CD and ever since it came here...

Well sorry michael the massess have voted, in order for it to be worthwhile given the artwork that would need to be created etc we'd need the kind of votes we were getting before.

A few points.

First, I know that's what a theme is supposed to do (bits and pieces being dropped here and there), I was just pointing out that I thought one of the tracks was the same one which was pre-released.

As for the combat music, I can definitely see how you're trying to get adrenaline pumping with the um... attacks, I think (not that good on music/sonic terminology), I just found it a bit... annoying, that's all. Don't be discouraged, though, once I manage to play UE a bit more, it might 'grow' on me, especially since it's quite catchy.

Just to illustrate, I recently bought Linkin Parks' Reanimation, and I was a bit disappointed at first at how much some of the songs had changed from the originals, but eventually they 'grew' on me too.

I don't see ripping the tracks is illegal, though, since it's only for my personal use, it's not like I'm selling them. It's just the same as ripping music from any other game I own, not to mention that UE is free to begin with, right?

And yes, I know the MGIs only sample at 22 kHz. My loss, no doubt, but all the other WC music samples at 22 kHz at most as well.

Originally posted by Wedge009
I don't see ripping the tracks is illegal, though, since it's only for my personal use, it's not like I'm selling them. It's just the same as ripping music from any other game I own, not to mention that UE is free to begin with, right?
Not to mention, UE was created by ripping a lot of stuff from other WC games anyway ;).

Back