Working with Privateer 3D model textures

A Wing Commander 2 remake would be awesome. Last time I looked almost all the sets were in the model archive. Just a few textures missing from a few of the capital ships.
I have a very extensive model database for it in various formats (one of these days, if the CIC is willing to let me upload dozens upon dozens of GB of files and if the models' various creators agree with it, I'll have to make the entire library available for everyone, it's a decade of curating, tinkering and learning in my hard drive here), and Klavs' creations are absolutely gorgeous, no question about it. The issue is that I have no clue how to program for Secret Ops or Freespace 2 (I suppose I could get most of his ships in Freespace 2, however, as I have the tools for it) and I'm busy enough coding for Flag Commander.

Yeah, it makes sense to have a 'finalized' product whenever possible for something like this so we're not uploading and having people download large things multiple times

Hi, I'm new here, I was wondering if anyone can help me access the .CEL texture file, I'm hoping to convert something more common by today standard, like .jpg or .tga
But I hear this is a strange format, part of an older 3D program and isn't actually a texture file >_< Can anyone here access them or convert them?

My website

Last edited:
Hi, I'm new here, I was wondering if anyone can help me access the .CEL texture file, I'm hoping to convert something more common by today standard, like .jpg or .tga
But I hear this is a strange format, part of an older 3D program and isn't actually a texture file >_< Can anyone here access them or convert them?

Welcome aboard. :)
I've converted all CEL-files to BMP using a program called 3D Exploration. This is also the program I used for having a reference when importing and fixing the models in Blender (Cycles Engine).
For anyone's convenience, I've uploaded all converted CEL-files:
https://mega.nz/#!Fxc1RAIZ!p_Otk5C4TFyyLI2PrBwaKtlhMO3XsMBUCatSrWMwBMY

Have fun playing with the models. :)

Last edited:
I'm a bit late to the party, but has anyone already converted all the privateer models into blender and uploaded them somewhere? I was planning to use the models but wanted to see if it had been done before or if I should convert them on my own. Thanks

The files are all in .3ds format so blender can import them. The scaling gets hinky in spots, but overall it works pretty well. Short answer: no archive of .blend or .obj versions exist that I'm aware of.

I'm a bit late to the party, but has anyone already converted all the privateer models into blender and uploaded them somewhere? I was planning to use the models but wanted to see if it had been done before or if I should convert them on my own. Thanks
I have converted some of the models. If you'd like, I can sift through them, do a few fixes and upload them.
Converted models include:
-Aircar
-Broadsword (Privateer)
-Centurion (exterior and interior)
-Dralthi
-Ferret
-Fralthra
-Starbase KTithrak Mang/Kable Meth
-Paradigm
-Perry Naval Base
-Planet Landing Pad
-Proton Torpedo
-Ralatha
-Rigakh
-Sabre
-Salthi MkII/Shok'lar
-Sartha
-Spiculum IR
-Steltek Drone
-Steltek Scout
-Stiletto
-Talon
-Tarsus (exterior and interior)

The files are all in .3ds format so blender can import them. The scaling gets hinky in spots, but overall it works pretty well. Short answer: no archive of .blend or .obj versions exist that I'm aware of.
The current version 2.82 can't import 3DS files for some reason.
But there's a workaround: Import the files using version 2.79, save and re-open them in 2.82.

You may run into some issues with the .cell textures.
Ummm... what kind of issues? I haven't encountered any, at least not with the converted ones.

I have converted some of the models. If you'd like, I can sift through them, do a few fixes and upload them.
Converted models include:
-Aircar
-Broadsword (Privateer)
-Centurion (exterior and interior)
-Dralthi
-Ferret
-Fralthra
-Starbase KTithrak Mang/Kable Meth
-Paradigm
-Perry Naval Base
-Planet Landing Pad
-Proton Torpedo
-Ralatha
-Rigakh
-Sabre
-Salthi MkII/Shok'lar
-Sartha
-Spiculum IR
-Steltek Drone
-Steltek Scout
-Stiletto
-Talon
-Tarsus (exterior and interior)

The current version 2.82 can't import 3DS files for some reason.
But there's a workaround: Import the files using version 2.79, save and re-open them in 2.82.

Ummm... what kind of issues? I haven't encountered any, at least not with the converted ones.

@FekLeyrTarg yes, that would be amazing, thank you!

@FekLeyrTarg yes, that would be amazing, thank you!
Sorry for taking so long.
Here are the models I promised:

Some models I listed above are not included as I was mistaken about having converted them. My apologies.
Have fun with the models. :)

Back