Wing Commander TV series compression format!

Karthik@KANE

Spaceman
I'm trying to get some my TV shows(Spiderman) to be compressed. If I were to change WC back to MPEG it'll take about 200megs, like how my current tv shows are. Basiclly I wanna compress my tv shows to the same 60megs DIVX format. Problem is when I compress using VBDubb, it's about 170megs, using DIVX!

What format do you guys use to handle WC and what program did you guys use to compress?

Thanks!

They're compressed using the hacked divx codecs (aka divx3). It's highly not recommended to use it though because besides being illegal, it has numerous issues in the end.

Use the latest divx codecs. And use one of the many high quality free MP3 codecs (search for "LAME ACM"). If you want to compress it smaller, you'll need to reduce the resolution, and lower the bitrate used.

There are 3 different versions of divx. The hacked Microsoft codecs is known as divx3. An open source alternative (XVid) is known as divx4. divx5 is the current release, and is completely legal and legit. (Plus, it's supported - divx3 isn't anymore).

Be sure and compress the *sound* portion of the file too -- that's probably what is causing the difference in file size.

(That said, we've got 2.5 gigabyte WCAs in the wings...:))

I don't think it's actually *better* -- it was just the latest version of DivX when we encoded WCA.

The 'illegal' version of DivX isn't better. It produces BIGGER files then Divx5. The only advantage of Divx3 was that it als had an audio codec that came with it. Which was a medicore MP3 codec.
Your problem is that you either don't encode the audio at all or that you pick a far too high bitrate for either the audio, the video or both.

I thought that the currently hosted WCA episodes were the same as the old ones, meaning the sound is still compressed using the DivX3 codec.

cff said:
The 'illegal' version of DivX isn't better. It produces BIGGER files then Divx5. The only advantage of Divx3 was that it als had an audio codec that came with it. Which was a medicore MP3 codec.
Your problem is that you either don't encode the audio at all or that you pick a far too high bitrate for either the audio, the video or both.

Ok, so I'm using DIVX 5.1 to compress my movies. What settings should I use for audio?

Get the LAME ACM codec, and choose a low bitrate (if it came from TV, 96kbps or lower is adequate), etc.

To calculate the bitrate you want, find the filesize you want (e.g., 70MB) for your file. Divide it by time (20 minutes) to get how many MB per minute to have (3.5MB/bin). Convert it to seconds (divide by 60) and you'll get your target byterate for both audio and video combined (about 62kBps). Multiply by 8 and you'll get the bitrate (a little under 500kbps). Divide that by how you want the audio and video to share and set your codecs appropriately. You'll probably have to reduce the resolution of the audio and video in order to get decent quality.

Although, with hard drive space being so cheap, it's probably worthwhile to get a new hard drive or burn a CD rather than try to reencode both...

Edit: bad math.

Back