Wing Commander top view multiplayer?

outshined

Spaceman
I played a game a LONG time ago that had a top view vs multiplayer mode. I think it was in the Wing Commander series, but I'm not sure, so I thought this would be the place to ask.

The game absolutly rocked! You pick a fleet of ships, each with a primary and secondary ability, then fight your friends in a top view field of space. Once one of your ships die, you move to the next one until your out of ships or destroy all of your enemies. The gameplay was like an advanced space version of Archon 2 (if any of you remember that game for the Comidor 64).

It drives me crazy because I always want to try to find the game, but don't even know what it was called.

Oh, and by "LONG time ago" I'm thinking late 80's early 90's. I'm 90% positive it was for a PC.

Uhm, no, that's not Wing Commander. That sounds suspicously like Star Control, however, and I think it was released on more than one platform.

Try The Pages of Now and Forever for more information on the games, and a free remake of SC 2 along with some fan sequels.

The remake is about the Ur-Quan, I believe.

EDIT: Welcome to the boards, cadet!

the remake of star control 2 is called the Ur-Quan Masters actually...
and yes it does seem you're talking about either of the three star control games

Is Star Control the game with that ship that launches the little limpets that stick to your opponent? I loved that game.

Tell me: why does it bother you so much that this thread is in WC instead of OT? Does it really get under your skin so badly that you get nervous and have to post about it? I'm genuinely curious because I see this sort of thing a lot - people yelling at others to stop disagreeing in debate threads, people begging for threads to be closed, people begging for threads to be moved...

What's the motivation? You must lead a very distracted life if you can't pursue so simple a task as conversing on a web forum without obsessively remarking that it should be moved to a different forum entirely because the topic has drifted.

I might just be overly optimistic, but I have faith that the admins and moderators tasked with maintaining the organization and orderly flow of threads on this board don't need to be reminded when or how to do their job. In fact, it seems that's the sort of thing that would be left to their discretion.

Perhaps I'm too easygoing? Clue me in.

Frosty, some people try to settle things so the mods don't have to get involved. They feel it's being helpful. Also, they point things out (at least I do) to get their attention, make it easier for them to spot the thread and save them some time. It's an attempt to let the mods know there's something wrong so they don't have to spend as much of their valuable, (theoretically) unpaid time going over things. That said, I know I feel that this is simply an informal reccomendation, not an order, and they have the final say in matters, as it is stated in the FAQ.

Wow this generated a lot of responses. Thanks all !!! You hit the nail on the head with Star Control.

And yes, this should be in off topic. But I thought I was talking about Wing Commander when I posted. Plus, if it was moved, I never would have re-found the post, and missed all your wonderful replies.

I got SC 3 yesterday, but SC 2 is the one I NEED. So I'll try that link from Moonsword or look around for Ur-Quan Masters (only hope it works in XP).

Thanks again!

[EDIT] PS - the sticky ship ROCKED!

You should be able to find Ur-Quan Masters somewhere off those pages. Keep looking around. There might be something about 'fan remakes' or somesuch on the left of the page.

Emirikol said:
yes, that was the vux raider IIRC, but shouldn't this thread either end or be moved to the off topic zone?

The VUX Invader actually.

And it is said that VUX stands for Very Ugly Xenoform :D

I can't help noticing its similarities to the Klingon K'tanga-class cruiser.

Back