Wing Commander Spotted In The Daily Poll (October 20, 2005)

My problem with Mario is that in the movie he wasn't a Doctor! Ever hear of Doctor Mario, scriptwriters? I sure hope someone got fired for that one.

No, no, no, they should have used the original Mario: Captain Lou Albano.

Anything else is an insult to the Mario franchise!

Bandit LOAF said:
I'm not sure what that is.

Cosplayers are fans who dress up like videogame or anime characters. Quite popular in Japan. My point being, it'd be one thing to debate the quality of the Wing Commander movie with simple fans; it's an altogether different matter to try to have an objective debate with cosplaying fanboys.

I'd liken it to trying to discuss the quality of the Star Wars movies with fan members of the 501st (http://www.501st.com/default.html).

ChrisReid said:
It's quite apparent that you're a random internet troll and not anyone interested in using a set of internet forums for real discussion.

I'd have to disagree. It seemed to me as if Unregistered was interested in a real discussion, not trying to start a quick flame war and leave.

Darklightr said:
Cosplayers are fans who dress up like videogame or anime characters. Quite popular in Japan.

Bah, we have nothing in common with those... sad spesiments.

Darklightr said:
I'd have to disagree. It seemed to me as if Unregistered was interested in a real discussion, not trying to start a quick flame war and leave.

Hehehe, I can't tell if that's a joke or not (because obviously, he didn't even register, just posted a few cheap shots to try to start a quick flame war, and then he left)

Cosplayers are fans who dress up like videogame or anime characters. Quite popular in Japan. My point being, it'd be one thing to debate the quality of the Wing Commander movie with simple fans; it's an altogether different matter to try to have an objective debate with cosplaying fanboys.

I'd liken it to trying to discuss the quality of the Star Wars movies with fan members of the 501st (http://www.501st.com/default.html).

I've never heard of that. So I'll be "cosplay-ing" when I go to a Halloween party this weekend, or when I'm wearing my orange shirt to a football game? The internet certainly enjoys making up stupid words for things.

But seriously, you're actually clarifying that your point is to denegrate a group based on how it spends its free time? Even Milton couldn't get away with that one. I don't see where you're going at all. I find Wing Commander fans to be exceptionally intelligent, and in general to be very good at criticism and debate of all sorts.

We've got a lot of professional academics in our little group... and beyond that, a lot of people who are at the top of their fields in other areas. I don't think being a Wing Commander fan negates that at all -- BradMick is still a world class 3D artist when he's not rendering space carriers, Quarto is a top notch game designer when he's not editing Secret Ops... 767s aren't falling out of the air because Chris is a WingNut. I don't see what enjoying Wing Commander has to do with someones particular abilities.

Heck, I don't think there's anyone better suited to attack the movie in the first place than the people who were expecting it to be bigger than life and amazing and great. It's certainly lead to many, many, many good debates over the years. There's *lots* of intelligent commentary about the Wing Commander-movie-as-movie. I've ranted about how it just doesn't work as a film many, many times over the years.

The problem here is that you're trying to pick a fight over continuity... and continuity is something that only "fanboys" care about in the first place. Seeing me claim that the movie takes place between the first episode of Academy and the Enyo Series of Wing Commander I and listing reasons why isn't the same thing as me liking the movie at all. The fact that you'd even think that puts you on the lower level -- you're interested in something that doesn't matter to outsiders in the least. Even wanting to be involved in the argument in the first place makes you a... "cosplayer"?

I'm just as happy to talk about the movies flaws from a critical standpoint as I am from a 'how did this happen in Wing Commander' standpoint. They're both fun, intelligent conversations to have.

I wouldn't have disagreed with you at the time... and you can clearly see that I responded intelligently and seriously to his post about Batman.

... so, where is he now?

Darklightr said:
Cosplayers are fans who dress up like videogame or anime characters.

Uh, no. Cosplayers are fans who dress up AND ROLEPLAY characters. Simply dressing up as a fighter pilot is NOT cosplay. Dressing up in a jumpsuit, putting on the "BLAIR" nametag, and for all intents and purposes, being a physical embodiment of Blair, is cosplay. That's where the "play" part comes in. Costume Roleplaying, shortened to Cosplay.

Unregistered said:
I am willing to debate, reasonably, and civilly on the first assertation. The movie's ability to fit into the Wing Commander canon shouldn't be debated. The two are as related to eachother as "Batman : Year One" is related to "Batman Begins". They use a lot of similar elements, same character names, gizmos that are recongizable in both, but to claim they share the exact same universe is a stretch.

You're fighting a losing battle against the powers that be, but be assured that there are also a few of us around here who are unbiased enough to completely agree with you.

McGruff said:
You're fighting a losing battle against the powers that be, but be assured that there are also a few of us around here who are unbiased enough to completely agree with you.

At the risk of giving the original poster a cheesy one liner that they can reply to and pretend I didn't already offer up something more intelligent earlier: in what way is anyone who has an opinion about a video game biased? Are people being paid off to pretend to like Privateer 2? I'd like to get in on that.

... or maybe everyone has their own opinions, and the fact that they agree or disagree with each other is absolutely no commentary on anyones intelligence or taste?

Bandit LOAF said:
I've never heard of that. So I'll be "cosplay-ing" when I go to a Halloween party this weekend, or when I'm wearing my orange shirt to a football game? The internet certainly enjoys making up stupid words for things.

But seriously, you're actually clarifying that your point is to denegrate a group based on how it spends its free time?

Nope. Not my intent at all. My intent was to tell Unregistered "Hey, you're trying to convince people that dress up like Wing Commander pilots that the movie based on the series sucks. They're not just going to say 'You know, you're right.'"

It was silly for him to even try to convince anyone here in the first place. As I pointed out, it'd be like him going to the opening of a Star Wars movie and trying to convince the guy dressed like Darth Vader that the movie sucks.

Nope. Not my intent at all. My intent was to tell Unregistered "Hey, you're trying to convince people that dress up like Wing Commander pilots that the movie based on the series sucks. They're not just going to say 'You know, you're right.'"

It was silly for him to even try to convince anyone here in the first place. As I pointed out, it'd be like him going to the opening of a Star Wars movie and trying to convince the guy dressed like Darth Vader that the movie sucks.

Wouldn't people who love the Wing Commander games have even more reason - reason and ability - to be critical of the Wing Commander movie? I'm not sure you've thought this through.

I mean, there's plenty of Star Wars fans out there arguing about issues in the new movies, aren't there?

Bandit LOAF said:
Wouldn't people who love the Wing Commander games have even more reason - reason and ability - to be critical of the Wing Commander movie? I'm not sure you've thought this through.

I mean, there's plenty of Star Wars fans out there arguing about issues in the new movies, aren't there?

True enough, but a quick look around the site here should show that there are plenty of fans of the movie. My point was not that Wing Commander fans are not or cannot be critical of the movie, but instead that it should be self evident here that there's many fans of the movie--willing to even dress up like pilots. Debating the finer points of the movie won't change anyone's mind.

True enough, but a quick look around the site here should show that there are plenty of fans of the movie. My point was not that Wing Commander fans are not or cannot be critical of the movie, but instead that it should be self evident here that there's many fans of the movie--willing to even dress up like pilots. Debating the finer points of the movie won't change anyone's mind.

As far as I know, Joe Garrity is the only person here who's ever dressed up in a movie costume - and that's just because he owns a screen used costume.

How does dressing up like a fighter pilot from the game in any way indicate whether or not someone loves the movie? Isn't the usual complaint about the movie that it wasn't like the games? Wouldn't people who love the games be in the best position to judge it?

Your claim makes no sense -- it's a silly attack instead of anything you put any thought into.

Bandit LOAF said:
As far as I know, Joe Garrity is the only person here who's ever dressed up in a movie costume - and that's just because he owns a screen used costume.

How does dressing up like a fighter pilot from the game in any way indicate whether or not someone loves the movie? Isn't the usual complaint about the movie that it wasn't like the games? Wouldn't people who love the games be in the best position to judge it?

Your claim makes no sense -- it's a silly attack instead of anything you put any thought into.

...the fact that I'm still continuing to discuss this is beyond me, but what the heck. You continue to assume I'm attacking someone, which I think I've made very clear that I was not.

My point (to clarify once more) was to tell Unregistered that he shouldn't bother trying to change anyone's mind about the movie. I don't study Wing Commander intently enough to have known the difference between a game and a movie flightsuit, so perhaps that was my error. At any rate, my comment was to lightly tell Unregistered there was no point in his debate (hence my smiley after my comment).

This discussion continues to be pointless, so I won't be replying again.

The movie flightsuits are bright red, the ones in the games are black. I guess being able to tell the difference between bright red and black makes me completely unable to... be able to comment on the differences between the game and the movie?

You're being stupid.

Back