Wing Commander & Secret Missions Storyline

Hobbs

Spaceman
Okay, a whole long time ago, I got Vengence of the Kilrathi and the Special Ops disk with a joystick. ::two weeks later:: I became completly addicted ::ten years later:: I remembered it and tried running it on my sleek new Pentium 500. After trying to load it, it would not work. After telling my delema to a friend, he said he'd give me Heart of the Tiger in exchange for a floppy drive. After playing that, I became a total fan once again. My problem now, is, I'm missing a big chunck of the story, having never played the origonal, or Secret Missions. If someone could give me the storyline, it would be a big help!

The story for Wc1 and its add-ons? Here we go:
In Wc1, you, a 2nd Lt., are assigned to the TCS Tiger's Claw in the Vega sector. First you defend some Terran systems against Kilrathi attacks and later on, Confed is staging an attack to drive the Kilrathi out of Vega. You accomplish this by destroying their HQ in the Venice system. Of course you have to battle through various systems to get there and you get the prototypes of the new Rapier for testing as well.

SM1: The Claw (and you onboard) are transferred to the Goddard colony in Deneb sector/quadrant because every communication with the colony has stopped. You arrive there and learn that the Kilrathi have tested a new weapon against the colony, mounted on a ship named Sivar, capable of completely destroying the colony with a single blast. You then follow the small Kilrathi strike fleet back into their territory, destroying the fleet one by one until you finally destroy the Sivar and return to Confed territory.

SM2: The Confed just made allies with the bird-like race of the Firekkan and the Tiger's Claw serves as honour guard. But then massive Kilrathi forces begin to pour into the system and they take the planet Firekka while the Claw retreats. After the defection of a Kilrathi cruiser, under Ralgha nar Hhallas aka 'Hobbes' you learn that the Kilrathi have chosen Firekka as the site for their annual ceremony to praise the Lord Sivar, their highest deity. You stage an assault (together with Firekkan warriors) against the priestesses of Sivar on Firekka, disrupting the ceremony which is a devastating blow to Kilrathi morale. In the end, the Kilrathi leave the planet, driven off by the Firekkan.

I hope I didn't forget anything and nobody replied while I was writing this.

And since I love the WC2 intro, I have to be a smartass and correct you on some Kilrathi names:

It is "Khasra" and "Ghorah Khar", you might correct that in your sig. :)

Edit: That's unfair you changed your signature! ;)
But I think, your new sig is a bit long.

Speaking of Hobbes, I always thought he got that callsign from the 'Calvin & Hobbes' character.

In WC2, he says it was from an ancient human philosopher.

Originally posted by Wulf
In WC2, he says it was from an ancient human philosopher.
That's what he says in WC2...
Yet IIRC, LOAF mentioned his callsign was given to him by someone else...

You do realize that Hobbes the tiger is a philosopher. That's why he's funny.

Thus, the two statements do not conflict.

Hobbes was a philospher indeed. Have you ever studied philosophy ?

[And, by the way, I'm really really sorry about what happened in NY. It was a real tragedy. I just want to say that today I'm with all the American people. French inhabitants are all with you. I just hope that nobody we know on this board was hurt last thursday.]

The joke in Wing 2 was that Downtown named Ralgha after Hobbes-the-tiger and told him it was because Hobbes was a philosopher (which he believed, since there was a philosopher named Hobbes... after whom the tiger is probably named).

Originally posted by Frosty
You do realize that Hobbes the tiger is a philosopher. That's why he's funny.

Thus, the two statements do not conflict.
Ah ok... I see now...
I never read Calvin and Hobbes, but I suppose it's a good time to start... :)

That was one of the best strips around...up there with Peanuts. And yeah, Hobbes definitely had strength in philosophy! I always loved how at the end of his monologue, he used it to make fun of Calvin, and they started fighting!:D

Signature

Okay, I'll shorten my signature down to one line if you can tell me how to use html to change the font. I have a neat Kilrathi alphabet font.

Re: Signature

Originally posted by Hobbs
tell me how to use html to change the font.
Unfortunately, HTML use is restricted on this web board, so we can't help you there. :(

*I* will shorten your signature down to one line if you don't switch it to a more appropriate 3-5 lines <G>

(A signature should be your name and contact info... failing that, a *short* quote of some sort that'll give us some insight into your personality... we all have copies of Kilrathi information imprinted in our minds, and don't need to waste the bandwith:)).

is there a sig patrol as well as a spam patrol on these boards? id like to volunteer :D
but yeah, really long sigs are useless, noone likes to read a 10-20 line siggy, something witty and humourous or, as in my sig, completly useless and stupid, is quite acceptable, short and sweet :)

Hobbes was named after a Philosopher, as was Calvin. No one rememberd "Calvinism" from High School History?

Originally posted by LeHah
Hobbes was named after a Philosopher, as was Calvin. No one rememberd "Calvinism" from High School History?

...nor do you remember *your* HS history too well: Calvin was a famous minister/theologian of The Reformation. Calvin-ism was a particular doctrine he taught. (if memory serves, it had something to do with predestination) ;)

Back