Wing Commander :: Russian Article Translated

Jason_Ryock

Vice Admiral
For those who said it couldn't be done, here's a paragraph smack from the middle of the Article, as translated by Bable Fish.

Good luck making any sense out of it.

"Although Wing Commander was built on basis of Squadron, between dizdokom and by the final version of game there are sufficiently many differences. For example, earthlings replaced GO the sudarstvennyy system on more than politkor rektnuyu confederation, while to kilrati was obtained status of empire. Syu zhet of game is developed in the sector of Vega, while originally the reference about sra of zhenii in this sector was planned roofing to as prehistory for what that others from existences. Some things from Squadron either not were realized generally (for example, it was assumed that before each field that the player will be able not only to listen for daniye, but also to assign to commander several questions relative to mission), or on appeared only in the late games series (for instance, possibility to select a partner into the mission). But very much from the initial idea Wing Commander in itself everything after all in joined."

That's one of the problems with translating English science-fiction to another language. How exactly to you spell Thrakath in Russian, anyways?

It'll probably be better to have someone that reads Russian to translate it into something ccomprehendible.

That's funny. =P I don't suppose you know anymore then that, Preacher?
Akula is Shark, but I think my knowledge stops there.

vodka.

uhh...

Russian speaking man say " thanking you very much for translation. even though i knowing russian. da."

?

I dont believe "th" exists as such in the Russian... my best guess on characterization is "TPAKXATb" which would come across as "tra-KHAT" with the final t being almost nonexistent.

Edit: I think the proper name including the patronymic (Russian middle name, take the father's name and add suffix) would sound like "tra-KHAT gee-KAR-go-veech [nar?] kee-RAWN-ka". I cant get the right characters for that here.)

I dont know enough Russian to make a full translation yet, but it would be a good reason for me to get back into studying the language (and a great fanproject?) Along those lines, does anyone know if WC in Russia has an English version?

Jason_Ryock said:
That's funny. =P I don't suppose you know anymore then that, Preacher?
Russian? Nyet. I only know a few words here & there
Dos vedanya
Tovarisch
stuff like that. However, I do have a Russian language CD program. Prob is, I'm too lazy to start learning it. Guess I'd be a little more ambitious if I didn't have to learn a whole new alphabet - Cyrillic.

Oy...

Now if ya wanna know some Spanish or Mohawk, I'd be a little more help to you there.

I know quite a bit of russian, am getting ready for my exam to be exact. I would like to have a crack at translating some of wing commander in russian, for you guys wondering how to say stuff here we go.

Russian is a largely phonetic language i.e. what you see is how it is spelt. They use a number of western words simply written in the cyrilic alphabet. so thrakhath, being a name would take certain cases depending on how it was used but it would be spelt in cyrilic. Not having a cyrilic character map to hand here is my best guess with english letters. there is no sound simply for H in the syrilic alphabet.

ypaxay - the y being a Ts, p being R, a being a, x being Kh.

Bout as good as it gets.

Now Chernikov, whilst I am fully aware that y makes the oo sound I do not appear to have a key on my keyboard that makes the Ts sound letter. Whilst I am fully aquianted with the subtle difference between the two I have no way of typing it with my limited resources. not good. I am aware that the propper Ts sound comes from a letter resembling a U with a long tail and sits in a different position on the line.

I will not fail but I do humbly appologise for my computer's inability to reproduce the cyrilic alphabet. Consider myself reprimanded

Im slightly confused. Cyrillic print as I understand it uses a character that looks like a T to produce the same sound as the T in the English language, and the script version resembles a "pi" with an extra leg in capital or a "m" in lowecase. The "u" with an extra leg makes a "ch" sound and sits high on the line.

No reprimand intended, im trying to offer assistance with the language, please dont be offended.

Russian does get very confusing. They use a letter like a roman numeral III with a line accross the top to signify a captial T. In printed text they also use a T to mean a captital T, sorted. The lower case T is an m with a line above it. Now it starts to get very confusing. Now a U with a little tail is a Ts sound, all good and sorted. a y higher on the line makes a ch sound and a W with a line under it makes a Sh sound. A figure that looks like a Ul linked togher makes a Shch sound and a little bl looking jobbie makes an I sound as ib bit. a little b on it's own, smaller than all other letters is a soft sign.

Not offended. Just frustrated by my lack of mastery of modern technology

Quick question: Why are people trying to compare the Russian Cyrillic with the Roman Alphabet? Two different languages, two different ways of writting.

They're comparing the alphabet used in the Russian language to the alphabet used in the English language because this is a thread about translating some Russian text to English.

That and the Russian language shares a lot of the same characters as English, just some are used in much different ways. Check the links I posted.

Back