WING Commander RPGS / MUSHES/MUCKS

Does anyone know of any good WIng Commander MUSHES/MUCKS etc or RPGS out there or would someone like to create one? I think it would be cool to rp with the Kilrathi or even be a member of the Kilrathi empire :)

- Jeff

THNX for any links/Info muck / mush addy's
U CAN ALWAYS reach me here. or

at yaguara2003@yahoo.com

:)

I still remember Red Horizon back in the day. In its prime it had several hundred members, from what I remember. But now? I don't know of any. But I agree it would be an awesome theme to Mu* in.

DreamworksSKG said:
Does anyone know of any good WIng Commander MUSHES/MUCKS etc or RPGS out there or would someone like to create one? I think it would be cool to rp with the Kilrathi or even be a member of the Kilrathi empire :)

- Jeff

THNX for any links/Info muck / mush addy's
U CAN ALWAYS reach me here. or

at yaguara2003@yahoo.com

:)

Hmm I am bit confused but what does MUSHES/MUCKS stand for???

We reported on half a dozen major Wing Commander RPGs in the news over the last couple months. I'll probably do a roundup soon.

Dahan said:
Hmm I am bit confused but what does MUSHES/MUCKS stand for???

MUSH: Multi-User Shared Hallucination

MUCK: Doesn't really stand for anything to the best of my knowledge, but one half-joke is that it got called that because of all the messing around with MUD (Multi-User Dungeon) code turned it to muck.

MU*s are basically text-based roleplaying environments, kinda like the old Infogames text adventures, but with other people instead of game code. Essentially, MU*s are the grandfathers of the modern MMORPG.

I played MUD's back in the 90's in college, it was fun then, but today I prefer to see & hear the sights & sounds myself instead of having them described to me ==> MMORPG's rule!
It's the same with books & Movies...
With text-based MUD's it's like getting a report from a first-hand witness.
With modern MMORPG, you ARE the first-hand witness.

Um, I'm afraid you've lost me there, Confed.

In both text and graphics, what's around you is being described by code, just displayed in different ways. Or do you think graphics just make themselves up, without human intervention? :)

Confed said:
I played MUD's back in the 90's in college, it was fun then, but today I prefer to see & hear the sights & sounds myself instead of having them described to me ==> MMORPG's rule!
It's the same with books & Movies...
With text-based MUD's it's like getting a report from a first-hand witness.
With modern MMORPG, you ARE the first-hand witness.

Ultimately, in most MMOG's, the game mechanic is the same - go out, kill things, get equipment and more abilities/powers, kill more things. The only difference is the interface, really. Yes, they're prettier, but they haven't really evolved all that much from their MUD-based predecessors; even 'virtual worlds' like Second Life and There! are more the equivalent of graphical MOOs and MUSHes than anything different.

I wonder how a Wing Commander Online would look like?? It would be interesting and I would definitely play it religiously.
But in the meantime it is World of Warcraft and I am happy with it.

Death said:
Um, I'm afraid you've lost me there, Confed.
In both text and graphics, what's around you is being described by code, just displayed in different ways. Or do you think graphics just make themselves up, without human intervention? :)
Of course not. That's not what I meant at all.
If you had the choice of being blind & deaf or not, what would you choose?
Besides you don't honestly think that the people who create the graphics nowadays are programmers? They don't write the images in code but they draw the 2D/3D images on a computer & often even mold the 3D figures in clay, and then use a 3D scanner to feed them into the computer.
Don't misunderstand me, I respect your opinion, that you much rather use your own imagination. I just disagree with it.

MMORPGS haven't impressed me these days - I mean, sure, they look fantastic, and can be fun to play. But in the end, they're very much the same. You play, upgrade, kill, upgrade. There's no real.. role play environment. No character development, relations.. no real story being told that you're a star of.

I'll always turn to Mu*s for a real story-telling environment, and have done so for the last eight years. Two words.. Firefly Mush. :) - But I can understand the reasons why people enjoy MMORPGs.. and when they reach the point of really being able to portray a story, maybe I'll convert. ;) (or, of course, if they bring out something true to Wing Commander)

Confed said:
Of course not. That's not what I meant at all.
If you had the choice of being blind & deaf or not, what would you choose?
Besides you don't honestly think that the people who create the graphics nowadays are programmers? They don't write the images in code but they draw the 2D/3D images on a computer & often even mold the 3D figures in clay, and then use a 3D scanner to feed them into the computer.
Don't misunderstand me, I respect your opinion, that you much rather use your own imagination. I just disagree with it.

Are you sure you know how to work a computer, son? You know those 3d models aren't created by a 3D scanner, right? There's prototypes of such things, right now, but they aren't how those pretty 3d models get created.

That's right - those images are mathematical constructs which get transformed by your MMOG client (itself a lot of lines of computer code) which talks to your graphics card via drivers (computer code again) into that picture of an elf you can view at all the angles the camera's capable of. Most of the models in games these days started life in a modelling program, and even static backgrounds which were once 2d or 3d art are encoded (that's right, they're turned into computer code) so the program can show them in the menu screen or on a wall as a painting. Programmers work with computer artists (who are also sometimes programmers, due to the way some of these programs work). It's all code - anything that shows up on your PC is coded or encoded into data files translated by a program into audio or visual output, from your MP3s to your JPEGs to whatever flavor of model in your Unreal, Half-Life 2, or Halo games.

It's all code, when you get down to it - whether it's a MUD sending a text string that says 'you see an 8x12' room with an orc in it' or one that uses Direct3D to draw an 8x12 room with an orc in it'. Pictures still aren't always an improvement, however; there are some things I'd rather not see, like undead in bikinis, or fat ogres dancing around in bondage wear like they do in World of Warcraft.

Incidentally, text is NOT like choosing to be deaf and blind; I take it you don't know how to read my post either, do you? Or read much in general? Imagination's what those directors and artists used (often by translating text descriptions) to create those blockbuster movies or games in the first place, and the visuals and sounds involved. Peter Jackson read Lord of the Rings, and translated the words THROUGH HIS IMAGINATION into the visuals that wowed audiences everywhere. Or did you think he suddenly found a way to travel to Gondor, or telepathically communicate with Tolkien to get both inspiration and the story? Or, heavens forbid, found the movie somewhere, since text descriptions cannot match visuals in conveying anything.

Indeed so, however I would be very quick to point out that there are several models created by clay sculptors. 3d scanners, though expensive, are very much in use around the world albeit mostly in a commercial fashion. I would say the majority of 3d/2d objects are created with modelling programs but the notion of sculpting 3d objects first in clay and scanning it in is not nearly as preposterous as it may seem at first.

Just my two cents...

Maj.Striker said:
Indeed so, however I would be very quick to point out that there are several models created by clay sculptors. 3d scanners, though expensive, are very much in use around the world albeit mostly in a commercial fashion. I would say the majority of 3d/2d objects are created with modelling programs but the notion of sculpting 3d objects first in clay and scanning it in is not nearly as preposterous as it may seem at first.

Just my two cents...

I'm not sure if I'd call those devices '3d scanners' in the sense that the boy there was thinking about - as in it took a 3D picture which then got displayed by the game somewhere. Most of the ones I know of, IIRc, just take the shape of an object in the scan, rather than producing a full 3D image.

Death said:
MUCK: Doesn't really stand for anything to the best of my knowledge, but one half-joke is that it got called that because of all the messing around with MUD (Multi-User Dungeon) code turned it to muck.

MUCK stands for Multi User Character Kingdom or Chat Kingdom.

As for Wing Commander MU*s, I would say that while it would be fun to be able to experience the world in a text-based environmet, the amount of coding would be a pain, and there's not enough people who can modify HSpace enough to allow a layman to be able to dogfight with any success.

One suggestion I would make, for those people that would like a good science fiction MUSH, is Wes Platt's Otherspace.

Don't expect any Kilrathi, though.

Back