Wing Commander RPG

Greetings, Wingnuts and Citizens, and for those that are celebrating, Happy Cinco de Mayo! Time for the weekly WCRPG Update.

Haven't got too much of interest to report this week. My log says that I did absolutely nothing this week besides work on system histories, finishing up the Valgard, T'Kirsa, B'Shriss, Border Zone, Cephid 17, Masa, Charon, Tr'L Rass (3). Tr'L Rass (2) and Pasqual systems, with at least some work started on Tv'x Aq, Anchorage, Khar-Sa, Qual'lat, Firekka and Jotunheim this week. I did have one overnight shift this week and it was the most productive day I had; knocked out five systems on that day alone. I also made a correction to one of the dates presented in the history of the Canewdon system. I'm attributing the lack of further productivity to general fatigue in RL; I'm currently in the process of trying to buy a new car and I'm in a situation where the cars I would like to buy are at least a thousand dollars outside of my price range (and this with the money I was saving up to get a new box on which I was planning to play Star Citizen, incidentally). It's causing both me and my wife a lot of stress and I haven't been getting much chance to rest in the evenings, and what usually happens when that happens is that I start dozing off at the terminals when I'm on my breaks (i.e. when I'm working on WCRPG). Hopefully the situation will resolve itself in the near future and my productivity will pick up once again.

Thanks to the CIC staff for the front-page story on Saturday; I always appreciate getting the press. My wife read the article and thought it was funny that I'd translated my name into Kilrathi (she was unaware of the fact I'd done this) and we wound up spending the following half hour coming up with Kilrathi names for her and our sons. More potential easter eggs for the Elegy campaign...

As I said, not a lot to report. The Plan for this week is to keep on keepin' on. I've completed histories for 23 of the systems in the entire Sector and I've got another eight at least started at this point, so more than half have seen at least some work. How fast I'll finish up is going to be dependent on how well I can stay on task and how easily I can come up with new ways to introduce systems (I mean, you can only say "the Kilrathi first explored this system during their initial conquest of the Sector" only so many times before it gets stale). I have three overnights this week, so we'll have to see how that affects my progress. As I've said in previous updates, even if I don't use that time to work on system histories, I could at least use it to work on some of the new materials for Chapter Seven. I would be interested in hearing y'all's thoughts on craft made by the same company that developed the Razor pirate fighter from WC4.

That's it for this week; next update between 11-14Z on May 12th. Trate de no beber demasiadas cervezas, señores.

Greetings, Wingnuts and Citizens! Time for the weekly WCRPG Update.

Had another week of nothing but system histories, with seventeen more systems seeing completion. My overnight shifts, which as I recall I was thinking wouldn't be good times to work on system histories (because I figured I'd be half asleep trying to write them), turned out to be the most productive days, with thirteen histories completed on just those three days. I'm particularly proud of Jotunheim; it's probably the most detailed history I've written to date and I daresay the end result is a world like the kind we'll ultimately see in Star Citizen. Bare minimum the potential is there for limited trade in between the main planet's individual communities (probably not so much for the Elegy campaign itself but definitely for players just using the campaign setting).

Plan this week is the same as last week: keep churning out system histories. As of this morning I have 20 left to go, of which 8 are marked as "in progress" including three in Sa'Khan Quadrant; these three are all that remain there. Jotunheim wrapped up Tr'L Rass Quadrant and Deneb was concluded the week before last, so I'm mainly looking at the systems in Antares Quadrant at this point. I do think I may not be doing the whole "ongoing battlefield" concept justice, by which I mean that there are some parts of the Sector that I think either need to have more of that "still re-building" feel either due to the Terran-Kilrathi War or due to the civil wars in the Kilrathi Empire following their defeat. That may be something I solicit opinions on once I've got more of the Sector buttoned up. Meantime I'm still thinking about where I'll go after I finished Chapter Six; I'm still leaning towards new craft and characters in Chapter Seven.

That's it for this week; next update between 11-14Z on May 19th.

Hi,

I dont know if this is the right place for this post or not. Let me know if not.

I am in the process of creating a WC universe online game along the lines of panzer general ie. Hex based turn based. Anyone willing to pitch in with advise testing etc would be welcome.

Thanks all.
Ron

Might want to go ahead and create your own thread for discussion; this one's about the continuing development of a tabletop RPG system and related campaigns that I've been editing for the last few years. http://wcrpg.wikia.com, if you're interested.

That said, I would be willing to pitch in with advising and testing. I might also suggest you take a look at TacOps.
Been a while since I've seen anything done with it - which is a damn shame, 'cause it's a pretty awesome game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Might want to go ahead and create your own thread for discussion; this one's about the continuing development of a tabletop RPG system and related campaigns that I've been editing for the last few years. http://wcrpg.wikia.com, if you're interested.

That said, I would be willing to pitch in with advising and testing. I might also suggest you take a look at TacOps.
Been a while since I've seen anything done with it - which is a damn shame, 'cause it's a pretty awesome game.

Hi Capi,

I will move this to new thread. Thanks for your response.

I did go through your RPG and its an awesome effort! However I am focusing on something like TacOps but more advanced. I am working on the core game mechanics and am making good progress. I should be done with core game system soon. I will need help in testing and gameplay but more importantly with your WC Universe knowledge.

Any other advise would be greatly appreciated as Im new to the kind of awesome stuff you guys do.

Cheers,
Ron

Last edited by a moderator:

I had a slow week this week, which I'll blame on fatigue primarily. Another week of nothing but system histories, with most of the remaining systems seeing at least some measure of work but only four systems (Silenos, Lennox, Bistangio and Circe) seeing completion this week. I was able to get the remaining systems reasonably far along in most cases, and in the case of Bistangio a reworking of Bistangio X's stellar configuration was required (I originally had it as a planet around an M-type star, which simply wasn't going to work - so I changed it to an A-type star and made all the necessary changes to its data; sufficed to say it's now a much better place to live).

Because of the slow week, I don't really have much to report. The Plan for this week is the same as last week: keep churning out system histories. As of this morning I have 15 systems left to go, all but two of which are marked as "in progress" (which unfortunately has lost its usefulness to me as an indicator of completion, since it's not specific as to just how complete the system history is). I still have the Qual'lat system to finish up in Sa'Khan Quadrant and unfortunately that one still needs quite a little bit of work, but I think finishing up Sa'Khan Quadrant this week is definitely in the realm of possibilities. Actually, finishing the whole thing up could happen, were I to knuckle down; given my work schedule this week, that unfortunately seems unlikely. I still need to review what I have for completed Kilrathi systems to see if there's anything I really want to change, and then I'll be heading into new craft and characters in Chapter Seven if I can manage to get everything buttoned up this week.

That's it for this week; next update between 11-14Z on May 26th.

Greetings, Wingnuts and Citizens! Time for the weekly WCRPG Update. For those of you in the States, I wish you all a very pleasant Memorial Day.

Well, I've been working on system histories for a solid month now and though I'd hoped to be able to report that work complete this week, I'm afraid that isn't the case (though the end is definitely in sight). I blame the lack of further progress on a trip to the dentist (killed two of my breaks) and things that were happening at work (I attended a American Heart Association course in First Aid, CPR and how to use an AED on Monday as part of my volunteer work as a severe weather responder for my workplace, which is pretty cool in and of it itself but the training went from 10 AM-4 PM that day, right through the heart of all three of the work breaks I would've normally had). Finished systems this week included Corsair, D'vd Tang, Firekka, Granita, K'ta Mek, Khar-Sa, S'thran-Pak, K'k-Tahn, Khar Takh and Veronica. I did decide to go ahead and add a bit more history regarding the civil wars going on in the ex-Kilrathi Empire and I'm actually really happy about some of what I wrote on that for Antares. Those changes did require some minor tweaks to six previously completed systems; that work all took place on Wednesday. Basically I drew some inspiration from Nobunaga's Ambition: warlords have carved out personal kingdoms for themselves, and the Kilrathi Assembly of Clans - Melek's bunch - is just one of several Kilrathi successor states, though it's the only one officially recognized diplomatically by anybody. So you wind up with folks like Ragark lak Haka all over the place, and I tossed a couple of them into the mix for Epsilon; I also restructured the Crimson Claw pirate clan so that they behave like one of these warlord groups, though they're still being considered one of the Sector's pirate clans. I think it really added some missing depth to the overall campaign setting, personally.

At this point I have five systems left to go: Qual'lat, Midgard, Natanya, Shariha and Tv'x Aq. I made some pretty substantial headway on Midgard over the weekend. The only system that has seen no work whatsoever at this point is (still) Natanya, and that's mainly because its history should tie-in very heavily with that of Shariha. I do finally anticipate finishing up work on system histories this week; the Plan remains for me to go into Chapter Seven as soon as everything is buttoned up.

That's it for this week; next update between 11-14Z on June 2nd.

Seriously Capi, those skills you learned in those classes are invaluable. Apologies are certainly unnecessary.

How you keep up with your project speaks volumes to your dedication. I have no doubt that you could save a life or ten. Of course we all hope to never have a need for its use but now you are prepared. If more people learned these skills then perhaps more lives can be spared.

/salute

Well, this week I can at long last report that all of the work on all sixty star systems in Epsilon is finally complete. Despite yet another shortened work week due to the Memorial Day holiday and a full-day event at work on Thursday, I was able to find enough time to finish up what worked remained to be done on the final five systems. Qual'lat and Natanya turned out to be trickier than I had originally intended; I had to completely redo the planet of Natanya, while I made Qual'lat very nuanced; I'd be interested in seeing what folks wind up doing with the back-story I wrote for it (outside of the campaign story, of course). Qual'lat took three days to complete; I'll put it that way. I also made some final adjustments to the histories of Peleus (I needed to mention a few more things about the Thieves Guild takeover of Thetis Refinery), Pasqual, T'rel Meh and T'kon Meth (these three needed to be adjusted due to an entry in the Chapter 12.1 Timeline in the WCRPG Core Rules, which mentions an "Epsilon Sector Campaign" stalling out in those systems).

With the work on systems completed, I went ahead and added a brief introductory header paragraph to each Quadrant, work that was finished by mid-day on Friday. I then went back and looked at what I'd already written for the various factions in Epsilon for Chapter 6.0, and adjusted the beginning of that Chapter so that some of the Epsilon Sector introductory text formed that Chapter's introductory paragraph. I made the decision that the instructions on how best to use the navigational data contained in each Quadrant's sub-Chapter should go into Chapter One, so at this point the only thing that remains to be done in Chapter Six is the completion of the brief descriptions of each faction; this will include the conclusion/rewrite of the Thieves Guild and composition of the Broken Claw Agency, descriptions of most of the major corporations and descriptions of the pirate clans. I think I can have this done within a week or two if I knuckle down and do it. I'll be sure to keep y'all updated on my progress.

Of course, for the last several weeks I've mentioned that once Chapter Six was finished I'd move on to Chapter Seven, which will go over specific characters, new and modified ships and other miscellanea necessary to play through the campaign as written. A friend of mine helped me put together some notes on the new Martina Nostra craft (the guys that built the pirate Razors you see in WC4 - the "new" craft will be the Dirk, Falchion and Claymore, and they'll be used by corporations as well as by pirates). That work took place on Thursday and the notes on those craft were added to the wiki on Friday; I have not yet put together stats for those ships but could easily do so with a little bit of time.

One of the last things I did this week was start to turn my attention towards the center of the main campaign storyline. Since I first came up with the initial idea for Elegy, I had a notion of how it would start and how it would end, but not much about what would happen in the center of everything. Over the weekend I started giving the matter some thought. I haven't quite figured out everything I want to have happen just yet but the ideas currently playing around in my head would produce a tale like the Aeneid, or perhaps Watership Down. I'm still not sure that's the route I want to take with the story but it does fit my initial ideas best. If anybody does have any ideas on what to do for the story's mid-section, I'd like to hear about it.

That should just about do it for this week. The Plan: work on faction descriptions for 6.0 and start building ships for Chapter Seven. Maybe start putting together some character profiles for Chapter Seven if I manage to get everything buttoned up.

That's it for this week; next update between 11-14Z on June 9th.

This week was a mixed bag in terms of my general activities. I kicked it off with doing some work for RSI forum member Citizen Bleys in translating some reasonably interesting phrases into Kilrathi. There was some further discussion later in the week on the differences between ervrax, k'dyapa vrax and k'g'sivrax on Tuesday, and I'm pretty sure at least one (if not all three) of these phrases will wind up somewhere in Elegy. I also began preliminary work on the Martina Nostra craft for Elegy on Monday, mainly getting their templates prepped for use. I spent most of Tuesday trying to figure out how to work the spreadsheet I'd used to create all the craft for the Vehicle and Capital Ship Catalogs in the Core Rules again; it's been a while and I didn't label the functions of certain cells very well at all. I finally did figure out what I was doing and had the Dirk and Falchion knocked out by the end of the day. I was able to knock out the Claymore and revised Razor pretty early in the day on Wednesday. I then went back through my notes to gather what information I could on the craft that were originally going to be in Privateer 3 and Privateer Online - all the Firekkan Craft, the Satohri, Fluyt and Barque transports; pretty much all I could divine from the design documents of those games were their tonnages, which at least gave me a good guesstimate as to their overall size. I also went ahead and at long last rendered out JasonRocZ's Valtar model to get dimensions for it. For the Guinterin cruise liner from Secret Ops (which I'm calling the Stardust-class for Elegy), I originally thought I was going to have a problem - though I had a render of the portside perspective from CIC, I couldn't find a top-down view and couldn't get the viewer I'd previously used to get this information for other Prophecy-era ships to work (my laptop has since given up the ghost and all I've got left is my Win7 box, and it never worked very well on that particular box). I was about to give up hope until I remembered that I had done the cruise liner when I was building my silhouette counters back in 2011, all of which were top-down views. The silhouette was good enough to give me the proportions of the ship, which is what I needed to figure out its size. I began working on a set of stats for the Stardust after that, which I was able to complete by the start of the day on Friday. Friday had some events in RL that kept me from working further on ships, though I did get finally create a page devoted to the vehicles and ships in Elegy - Elegy Chapter 7.2 - got all the work I'd done on ships to that point up on that page, and dropped in templates for a good portion of the remaining craft. I still need to go back through the faction lists to see what other craft need to be put on the page at this point.

This last Friday I also received an invitation to take part in a podcast discussion of the development of the two RPGs I've built to date - Starflight RPG and Wing Commander RPG - for Space Game Junkie.com. This is still in the preliminary planning stages right now and a date for the podcast has not yet been set, so I haven't got any details on when this will become available for y'all; I'll be sure to pass along those details when they're available. I am still thinking about what I might want to say when the time comes, and I'm hoping I won't sound like a total idiot...

My overall Plan for Elegy hasn't changed much - I've still got faction descriptions to complete for Chapter Six and in Chapter Seven I've got character profiles, craft and additional miscellany to work on. I think this week I'll continue to focus on the production of new craft. I've had some ideas and some suggestions thrown at me for what I should do for the Firekkan craft, and I think this week I'll try to knock them out. Any suggestions from any of y'all on that score would be welcome - the suggestion that they be light and fast makes sense to me, that they would only be armed with disabling weapons does not.

That's it for this week; next update between 11-14Z on June 16th.

Greetings, Wingnuts and Citizens! Time for the Weekly WCRPG Update.

I spent this past week working on craft for the Elegy campaign. On Monday, I dropped in blank craft templates for everything I had up on the page at that point. I then proceeded to add images of craft as they became available; this included images of the Constellation, Merlin, Aurora Legionnaire, Aurora Marque, Origin 325a, Origin 350r, F7C Hornet and F7C-M Super Hornet from Star Citizen, the civilian luxury liner from Prophecy, the Razor from the WC4 guide, the Spikeri from the CIC homepage and a few of the older craft from the Standoff and Saga websites. I had multiple aspects of the Spikeri, so I was able to calculate its rough dimensions the old-fashioned way and the RSI site has dimensions for their craft on their ships specs page (which has been an extremely useful resource for information on those craft, lemme tell you). On Tuesday I completed the full profile for the Stardust liner; I spent most of the day working on that. On Wednesday I conducted a review of the playtests that Whistler and I ran prior to the release of the Core Rules; I did this because I knew that some of the ships were going to need to be updated and rebalanced for the campaign in order to make them "competitive". The review was successful and I decided to implement the 5x weapon rule for WC3-era and later craft as mentioned in Chapter 9.3 of the Core Rules as a default for the Elegy campaign. The review took most of the day on Wednesday. On Thursday, I began updating craft, starting with the RSI craft that had appeared in the Non-Canonical Vehicle Catalog of the Core Rules. I also had to update the information I had on the 300i variants, as I had originally built them (and released them at CIC) assuming that they were Privateer-era craft. Those stats were completed by the end of the day. I finished out the week on Friday by adjusting the stats of the F-36 Hornet (as it is being used by the Landreich Navy in the Elegy campaign) and I finished up profiles for the F7C and F7C-M Anvil Hornets. I also adjusted a previously added header paragraph to the ships page; I'm pretty sure I was asleep when I wrote that paragraph originally.

I have decided to go ahead and do a podcast with the guys from Space Game Junkie (as I mentioned in the last update). We'll be recording tomorrow evening and I assume it will be up on their site as soon as they've finished up with editing. As a guy with a background in broadcasting, I know that'll take as long as it takes. Hopefully not too long. I'll be sure to let y'all know when it's up. I'm still considering what all I'm going to say; I know they're going to be asking me about the background of the games and their history, and I don't know whether to start with the Pizza Hut in Augusta, Kansas when I was three (the first encounter I ever had with a video game of any kind that I can remember) or if they're looking for something ever so slightly more recent...

The Plan for this week is to continue churning out ships, which hopefully will start picking up a bit more since I've finished my review of the craft that'll be in the campaign and this time I'm definitely sure I've got headers and templates up for all the ones that'll need doing (41 craft on the page in total, with great starts in on eleven of those already and many of the rest just requiring a set of updated stats). I'm considering going ahead and adding pictures for all the craft, but that'll take some 3D modelling work, which I haven't done in quite some time. If any of y'all might be interested in adding a pic or two, lemme know. I'm also hoping to get a character or two built if things work out that way this coming week.

That's it for this week; next update between 11-14Z on June 23rd.

Well, despite my hopes to the contrary last week, I wound up spending another slow week working strictly on ships, though at this point I can safely say that I'm past the halfway mark. On Monday, I dropped a few more old stats into place on Elegy's ship page and was able to update the statistics for the Raptor, Sabre, Gladius and Stiletto, the idea being that they underwent "modernizations" at some point in their history that kept them usable (the real reason for doing this is to keep everything reasonably balanced in the campaign). I added some additional notes on the Valtar fighter as well. On Tuesday I added some pictures of the Drayman-II, Clydesdale and Paradigm to the page, and went ahead and added design program headers for the Drayman-II and Paradigm. I had thought to get this information done for the new Drayman-III as well, but I discovered later in the week that what I had down for the Drayman-III was the stats for the Satohri transport from P3 (which is also in Elegy); I moved the data and the pic to that entry instead. Wednesday saw more program headers and pictures, including ones for the Artemis, Errant, Phantom, Galaxy, Orion, Centurion, Demon and Talon. The Tarsus made its way into the campaign setting as a background ship on Wednesday, and I went ahead and added a picture and header for it as well. A header and a picture was built for the Broadsword on Thursday, with some work on correction of existing pictures and the creation of a work checklist happening as well. On Friday I added some notes on the redesign of the Drayman-III and the Firekkan craft as well as a header for the Clydesdale. I rounded out the week by updating the stats on the Clydesdale, Drayman-II, Hermes, Galaxy, Centurion and Demon. As of this morning, of the 42 craft that are going to be explicitly listed for the Elegy campaign, all the work is done on twenty of them, with some work done on all but eight of them and seven of them just needing the update of their stats to complete. I may ultimately need to make the decision to not add pictures to some of the craft for the time being; if I can get stats and headers up, that'd be sufficient for me to move on to work on other parts of the campaign setting. In the meantime, if anybody's interested in helping me out with the design of those ships, I'll take the help at this point. Been a while since I've done any 3D modeling...

This last Tuesday I also participated in a live podcast with the guys from spacegamejunkie.com, who were interviewing me about Starflight RPG and Wing Commander RPG. They've since posted the podcast to the site and it's located at http://www.spacegamejunkie.com/interviews/sgj-podcast-64-rocking-rpgs-stephen-rogers . It's a little over an hour long and the stream did cut out a few times while we were recording it, but it's a good listen; I didn't sound too much like a redneck except right there at the beginning, and over all it was an enjoyable experience. It was due to the podcast that I made the decision to go ahead and add the Tarsus to Elegy; it came up in the podcast and I kinda felt bad having to tell Brian (the host) that the Tarsus wasn't going to be in there - so I added it. It'll just be a background ship, but it'll be there.

I've also been going through some of the in-between mission texts for Saga, which Nick Huynh was kind enough to provide to me last year and I'm just now finding enough time to read through, the idea being to continue to write character profiles for the folks in Saga with WCRPG stats (I hadn't forgotten about that whole deal; it's just been a while since I've had the time to do anything along those lines). It's an interesting read-through, though I occasionally have to not distract myself with the sometimes substantial grammatical errors in the document (which I can only hope were fixed before Saga was released). I'm just over a quarter of the way through it all, corresponding to just past the point where Sandman is transferred to the Mud Sharks and flies the first nebula patrol with Psychopath.

Plan for this week - continue to knock out ships and maybe turn my attention to a character or two. I might start in on a little modeling; the problem there is that I either A) have to do all that work at home with the modeler I've used for years or B) re-learn how to use Blender; I've already determined I can't use my go-to modeler at work. That's the main reason why I'm thinking about having to skip a few pics. As I mention in the podcast, the SF3 site is back up, so I may also devote some time to pulling the game's design document into something else before it disappears again. That would take time away from Elegy, so I'd try to get that done as soon as I could. Got a lot on my plate at the moment; hopefully I can get some of it settled in the very near future.

That's it for this week; next update between 11-14Z on June 30th.

Last edited:

Had a heckuva week in RL this past week; long and the short of it is that I didn't have air conditioning in my house for the bulk of the week in a part of the country where it's honestly needed this time of the year (humidity is killer - the dewpoint's up around 70 F (21 C) right now. Pretty much put the week on hold and when the new unit finally was up and running on Friday everything had to get done. End result of that is that I'm typing this update as I go this morning, so my apologies for any shoddy editing.

Still just ships this past week, though I am inching ever closer to getting that to a stopping spot. Monday I resized the picture I had for the F-36 Hornet and corrected a couple of SI typos I discovered on the wiki page (specifically for the Aurora Legionnaire and the 350r). Updated stats were generated for the Phantom, Broadsword, Artemis, Orion, Talon, Tarsus and Paradigm (the Paradigm was more time consuming than the others, considering I had to replace its flight compliment). Tuesday was spent updating the stats and adjusting the header for the Errant, building headers for the Dirk, Falchion and Claymore, and generating stats for the Drayman-III. I began composing the header for the Satohri transport as well as its stats on Wednesday, worked briefly on the stats for the Barque transport, built the header for the Firekkan Valtar fighter and began working on its stats. I finished up the Valtar stats on Thursday and spent the rest of the day generating notes on the other Firekkan craft. Since I'm pretty much doing those from scratch and the only information I had to start off with dealt with their tonnage, those are taking a while; a lot of the notes had to do with the craft I wanted to make them roughly comparable to. As of this morning, I have completed work on thirty of the 42 craft that will be featured in Elegy 7.2, with stats generation still needed on just eight of those (six Firekkan craft, the Barque and the Fluyt).

That's pretty much all I have this morning. The plan for this week is to continue with stats and header generation for ships, and try to get to the point where I can work on characters. I am still in the process of re-learning Blender; I have to say I love the interface they came up with with version 2.50; it's a lot more intuitive than the original interface and given I have finally figured out how to access numeric properties the tricky bit seems to be figuring how how to apply materials/shaders. I haven't gotten that far in the tutorial I'm working with just yet but it is on the horizon. I'm looking for a good DXF importer to Blender if anybody happens to know of one.

That's it for this week; next update between 11-14Z on July 7th.

Ah, Fenris...mem-o-ries.

Simplified updates...it works for me. Whatever saves you the aggravation, go for it.

Yeah. Fenris was my introduction to the Aces, and had as much to do with the development of WCRPG as anything else. I would love to be able to do some stats for that ship.

Psych has been hanging around the boards lately; I should ask him how much of the Aces materials he still has access to.

Back