Wing Commander Prophecy: Secret Ops Model Update Pack

Holy ship! The details in the textures are simply amazing. I understand that you are heavily modifying the engine, still I never thought that this would be possible in this pretty old engine. Looking forward to playing this!

A little spoiler: there's a way (and one more step) to make bug capships even more evil, but we are kind of not ready to make that step yet.
:)

Next on our list of Beta 1 assets is the Twilite Purchase, the in game mesh really didn't capture the fiction's stated opulence so here's hoping this one is a bit more faithful. If it weren't sailing through bug-infested space, I think a few days aboard this ship might be quite relaxing. It's really kind of an odd duck for WCP, the art-deco design has more in common with the bugs than humans. But the gold trim, scalloped edges, and various shades of blue make for a strangely appealing shape. And the captain is grateful for being saved, unlike that jackass Pelican captain in chapter 2. :)

Twilite4.jpg
Twilite3.jpg
Twilite1.jpg

I think the intention with the design of the ship was to make it look like it has a big sail in the front. Maybe 3 seperate structure would have been better but anyway....your recreation looks so much better from what I remember.

As for my playthrough...that will take quite some time. SC has a new release so I am testing that primarly, then there is a bit of Warframe playing with a friend and then there is WC and a boardgame I am still trying to create.....so lots of time for you to finish things. ^_^

Looking sharp! I think I'd go for a stronger (more saturated) shade of blue, though. And possibly stronger shade of gold, too. That thing should look like it's literally plated with gold. Oh, and if you really want to go crazy with it, why not make the big glass ceiling transparent, and put a very simple mesh under it, to give the impression that we're seeing a bunch of tree-tops under the glass? That would be pretty fancy.

I think the really fantastic thing about the original, is precisely that it's so crazily distinct from other ships we see. There is no way in hell you could mistake the Twilight Purchase for a military ship. The difference isn't so huge that you think it's like an alien vessel or something, but the fanciness… well, I suppose ultimately, it's the difference between, say, Cunard's Queen Elizabeth 2, and the Royal Navy's HMS Queen Elizabeth.

Looking sharp! I think I'd go for a stronger (more saturated) shade of blue, though. And possibly stronger shade of gold, too. That thing should look like it's literally plated with gold. Oh, and if you really want to go crazy with it, why not make the big glass ceiling transparent, and put a very simple mesh under it, to give the impression that we're seeing a bunch of tree-tops under the glass? That would be pretty fancy.

I think the really fantastic thing about the original, is precisely that it's so crazily distinct from other ships we see. There is no way in hell you could mistake the Twilight Purchase for a military ship. The difference isn't so huge that you think it's like an alien vessel or something, but the fanciness… well, I suppose ultimately, it's the difference between, say, Cunard's Queen Elizabeth 2, and the Royal Navy's HMS Queen Elizabeth.

The original mesh actually has a pool (with a swim up bar of course) and the other greenhouse has tennis courts and a soccer pitch. I'm playing around with the transparency in Vision to see if I can make it work. Since vision doesn't do translucency and transparency is basically boolean, It's a bit of a challenge to make it look good. I'm fiddling with mixing in specular mapping over the transparent objects (there's no reason why it shouldn't work) but it might not work or just look plain hinkey. if so I'll sadly have to go with the opaque green houses.

Next on our list of Beta 1 assets is the Twilite Purchase, the in game mesh really didn't capture the fiction's stated opulence so here's hoping this one is a bit more faithful. If it weren't sailing through bug-infested space, I think a few days aboard this ship might be quite relaxing. It's really kind of an odd duck for WCP, the art-deco design has more in common with the bugs than humans. But the gold trim, scalloped edges, and various shades of blue make for a strangely appealing shape. And the captain is grateful for being saved, unlike that jackass Pelican captain in chapter 2. :)

View attachment 10728View attachment 10727View attachment 10725
Magnificent work!

Good evening MUP fans! If you were at the party you probably saw this but if not we have a Beta 1 release candidate ready for you to try. We are officially moving to Beta as we are largely feature complete on engine and graphics upgrades. The only remaining work is art -based stuff. There is one pending feature: extending dead capships to WCP - which we are currently testing, hence why this is only a candidate and not an official full release.

Features include:
  1. Corvette shield/hull fix - now once a corvette's shields are down, the engine registers the hits on the hull with proper FX, previously it just kept rendering hits on the shields (even though it was damaging the hull)
  2. Dead Capships in WCP (not implemented) - the code is there but there is a conflict with a previous .DLL from HCl, we are researching the impacts on removing the .DLL
  3. Updated Callisto, Confed Starbase
  4. Tigershark 2.0
  5. Panther2.0
  6. Kraken Dreadnought
  7. Hydra Cruiser (SO only, relies on dead capships for proper implementation)

We recommend a clean install for this one as it is a candidate and as always if you find bugs (pun intended) list 'em here and we'll squish 'em.

Attachments

• Beta1PntFx.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 203
Last edited:
  1. Dead Capships in WCP (not implemented) - the code is there but there is a conflict with a previous .DLL from HCl, we are researching the impacts on removing the .DLL

Hey Defi, I've been away form the forums a bit so if you've explained this previously sorry for asking you to repeat it but can you explain what you mean by 'dead capships' ? I thought WCP/SO already had dead capships.

Hey Defi, I've been away form the forums a bit so if you've explained this previously sorry for asking you to repeat it but can you explain what you mean by 'dead capships' ? I thought WCP/SO already had dead capships.

It does to a degree, in Vision the base hull object cannot be "destroyed" meaning the engine won't swap out a base object with a new mesh if the ship is considered destroyed. So you can blow up sub components, bridges, engines, hangars, launchers, cargo, etc. but the core object remains intact. So this feature allows us to use LOD0 as a destroyed object and LOD1 as the intact version. So once the engine registers the capship as destroyed, it displays LOD0 instead of LOD1. So now we can create new dead base hull objects, complete with new texture sets to represent a dead capship.

Good evening MUP fans.

It has been reported and confirmed that there is an issue in the Beta 1 release candidate. The Panther textures for the base model are broken. We are working on a new release candidate for the Beta branch however in the meantime I've attached a fix for the Panther. It appears as though the mat textures in the common file branch did not overwrite the SO and WCP specific mat files as intended.

The attached .zip file includes the proper MAT files which you should copy into your /MAT directories in your WCP and/or SO install directories overwriting the originals. This should correct the problem. However if issues persist the remaining texture files are included in the zip if needed. As before simply take the files in the zip and overwrite any files in the related directories. Again - this shouldn't be needed but I wanted to provide all the textures in case they were required.

The team is working on a new release candidate which will ideally include some additional feature fixes as well as a proper fix for this bug.

Thanks - MUP team

Attachments

• Beta1PntFx.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 163
I could not get the model pack working, it gives some error, DLL package in windows 10, the previous openGL update pack works but then the game crashes out after level 13 (end of episode 3)

Im doing something wrong,

I need to know in what sequence to install,

I owe the original WC Prophecy game pack and I used the Wcp sop enhanced installer, (ver.1.2)
Should I over write the Beta1PntFx.zip content over existing files straight away or is there another installer I must run first ?

Last edited:
@Panther101
The Panther fix is the correct textures so it shouldn't cause any crashes.

Can you post the dll error? We've tested the pack with gog and the free version on the cic. If you're using an OEM copy it might have issues.

We've had reports of errors, potentially related to Intel graphics cards. I need to sit down with my laptop and force it to use the low power intel card to confirm.

@Panther101
The Panther fix is the correct textures so it shouldn't cause any crashes.

Can you post the dll error? We've tested the pack with gog and the free version on the cic. If you're using an OEM copy it might have issues.

Do I install the gog version and only apply the beta panther fix or is there something in between, my current install is ver. 1.2 I have not applied anything else, besides the 'old' rudder problem it runs and gives me the OpenGL graphics option and I do have ATi.

Last edited:
I set my AMD Radeon settings to quality textures and supersampling for anti-aliasing method, the game looks 4K now on my 27" IPS 1080p screen setup.

I must add SOP's missions are quite good especially after episode 2, I think somewhat forgotten in the WC universe, most overlooking the expansion since it's not having cinematics like WCP.

but its looking darn good now and it still feels realistic ( flight/simulation), it's fast and lots of action if you need some instant WC action.

It runs really smooth on modern PC's - one can push the 'eye candy' visuals to the max and most of us has proper joystick controllers now.

Last edited:
besides the 'old' rudder problem

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue :). I still say a dll hook would be the way to fix this.

For those that may have forgot. The joystick z axis defaults to reverse of what it should be on every joystick i have ever tried. If I go to the options and click "reverse joystick" it will work correctly until I hit the shift key or pull the second joystick button, then it goes back to being reversed. I think most of us just disable rudder on the joystick and use the keyboard for rudder. But still it would be nice to fix

It runs really smooth on modern PC's - one can push the 'eye candy' visuals to the max and most of us has proper joystick controllers now.

The only changes to the renderer were performance optimizations to try and make the 60fps config option practical. Working within the confines of that old interface it is very hard to keep it at framerate with the kind of polygon counts these guys are pushing. I'm glad you're having good experiences in that regard.

Back