Wing Commander: Privateer CD editions

Monkey Fluff

1st Lieutenant
Hello all. New to the forums. I was wondering if anyone knew whether the CD-ROM Classic edition of Privateer included either colour or grey-scale manuals, as opposed to the black and white instruction booklet in some versions. I'm not talking about the box with the gold border, but instead the one that has the CD-ROM Classics as a caption under the image. Does that make sense? Basically, not this version:

http://www.mobygames.com/images/covers/large/1016856555-00.jpg

More like this one, but with CD-ROM Classics written underneath:

http://www.mobygames.com/images/covers/large/946018649-00.jpg

Many thanks for any help.

the EA Classic Games box I bought (with a gold border) came with a full color Privateer manual, so it seems pretty likely that most releases of it came with the manual. Hope that helps a bit.

*edit* those links from mobygames aren't going to work as a link-to they have a placeholder image they throw up their instead to keep their bandwidth leeching down. You should just leave a link to the product that you can click to follow instead.

Cool, I appreciate the response. I once bought a copy with a gold border (or was it black?) and it only came with a B&W manual - poo. I want a full manual, doesn't matter if it's colour or grey-scale.

Anyone else know anything about the edition I'm chatting about?

Once upon a time I had the game on the floppy disks and it came with the full, colour manual. Unfortunately I lost all the disks but I still have all the documentation for the game. When I bought the game on CD it was the box with the gold border. It actually didn't come with the manual but rather an electronic version on the CD instead. I don't remember if it is in colour but I'm disappointed it didn't come with a hard copy (Thank the heavens I still have my original).

Not sure if this is what you're talking about, but I got the rerelease, and all that came with it was a cd and an installation and gameplay guide. The manual was on the disk in PDF format.

Yeh, that's what I don't want (B&W installation and gameplay guide). I want the CD-ROM edition with a full printed manual.

8e76_1.JPG

This is the edition I'm talking about.

Thanks Ninja! You're pretty sure this is the same as your copy? I'm a small-time collector (that is, I played Privateer to death when I was a kid) and really wanted a decent copy to preserve the memory.

do you get to pick it up before you buy it? if you shake it around it should be pretty obvious if the book is in there, but yeah, I am pretty sure

Nah, no picking up, just winging it. I'm being hopeful - fear not, I shalln't blame you if it isn't what I'm looking for ;) Won't get to see it until end of April either, as I'm having it shipped to my girlfriend in Stateside to save on international postage.

Thanks again though.

Back