Wing Commander Online

Unforgiven

Spaceman
If Origin/EA is so obsessed with Ultima Online subscription sales that it's enough for them to cancel WC, why don't they make a 'Wing Commander Online':
A big immersive Massive Online Role Playing Game set in the Wing Commander Universe. You could do stuff like join Confed or the BWS or become a Privateer. And perhaps you could even create alien characters like Kilrathi and Nephilim (is that a good idea?) and fight on their side.
Perhaps introduce a few new races, people/organisations to fly for. Or they could also make it possible to pursue something else than flying. How's about becoming a senator?

I'd be willing to pay $20 a month for that!!

Oh yeah...

WCO and PO were considerations before, but it all fell through... We'd all like another WC game, but it doesn't look like there will be one...

And one more thing. Besides a dedicated 24/7 hooker, or an IV connection to Pizza Hut, there is nothing in this world I would pay 20 dollars a month for...

I would've thought a good space sim would outdo some crappy fantasy/medievel game anyday...

Obviously there are too many uneducated buffoons out there...

Erm, no offense, but the shoot 'em up space game goes under the medieval RPG on the intellectual ladder. :)

I remember a friend of mine made such a huge deal of it when he saw I had Ultima VIII, I had never even played it (it came with the SB16), but he actually called friends over to my place and they had a little party playing my game on my computer... That was strange.

What'sthe appeal of the Ultima games anyway? I never got that...

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Erm, no offense, but the shoot 'em up space game goes under the medieval RPG on the intellectual ladder. :)

Um..not neccesarily. In fact, i'd say the WC games (minus maybe WCP) have a much more "intellectual" story than most medieval RPG's i've played. Yes, I know you know that I don't LIKE medieval RPG's, but think about it. Saving the Princess of Ishar using your magical abilities to kill a bunch of lower races while gathering gold and gaining experience so you can kill more lower races while all the time being chased by the evil Dark Knight who has the power of evil and his gods to avenge the death of his father, the former King of Ishar overthrown by the army of Cleric's and the Wizardry Guild.

Sorry, went off on a tangent. Hmm....I should go into the medieval RPG business....

Yes, I know the whole ass end of that was one long sentence. Your supposed to get the idea of me going off. Instead, it just probably made me look really really stupid.

You have to admit that real-time space battles would take much larger bandwidth than RPGs, wouldn't they?

Originally posted by Unforgiven
If Origin/EA is so obsessed with Ultima Online subscription sales that it's enough for them to cancel WC, why don't they make a 'Wing Commander Online':
A big immersive Massive Online Role Playing Game set in the Wing Commander Universe. You could do stuff like join Confed or the BWS or become a Privateer. And perhaps you could even create alien characters like Kilrathi and Nephilim (is that a good idea?) and fight on their side.
Perhaps introduce a few new races, people/organisations to fly for. Or they could also make it possible to pursue something else than flying. How's about becoming a senator?

I'd be willing to pay $20 a month for that!!

That's what I've been saying for years. I keep telling them, but nobody listens. Does the fact that I live in an insane asylum make me any different from other people!?!?! :D

As much as possible i.e. the amount of cash currently in the bank. Which isn't a whole lot right now... :(

Originally posted by Ghost
Yes, But how much you will pay???, if anybody from here pays something...

Generally $10.00 a month is the standard rate. I don't know about anyone else, but I work a crappy retail job and make $10.00 in an hour and a half, so that's not a big deal to me.

Originally posted by Wedge009
You have to admit that real-time space battles would take much larger bandwidth than RPGs, wouldn't they?
And a better machine also.

Actually, modern MMORPGs like Asheron's Call and EverQuest use far far more power than any space combat sim ever released. Big black empty spaces are far easier to render than forests. And as for bandwidth, well, coordinate data is coordinate data, a game like Wing commander with 16,000 players wouldn't fare any better or worse than Asheron's Call with 16,000 players.

Originally posted by Frosty
Generally $10.00 a month is the standard rate. I don't know about anyone else, but I work a crappy retail job and make $10.00 in an hour and a half, so that's not a big deal to me.

Let's not forget you have to eat...and sleep...and eat some more...and eat...and use the bathroom...and sleep...and eat...I mean, those things cost MONEY! MONEY! MONEY!

Eh, sorry, got a bit carried away there...:) But my point still stands. You have to eat, breathe and sleep, unless you're like LOAF, in which case you have Superhuman Powers... :D

Originally posted by Bob McDob
Let's not forget you have to eat...and sleep...and eat some more...and eat...and use the bathroom...and sleep...and eat...I mean, those things cost MONEY! MONEY! MONEY!

OK, I make $10.00/1.5hrs which is $6.50 an hour, multiplied by 30 hours a week is $195 per week, multiplied by 4 weeks which is $780 a month. Subtract $10 for Asheron's Call, leaving me with $770 to spend (Well, a little less, but the point is made) on whatever I like. Now I dunno about you, Bob, but I don't think I eat $770 worth of food a month.

Doesn´t matter really....i think that EA or another company will not make any new WC game :(

So wait, lemme get this straight... because you think nobody will ever make another WC game, that makes it true? And because that is true, it invalidates all our speculation on the logistics of WCO? Wow. You must be pretty important :)

[Edited by Frosty on 05-23-2001 at 23:44]

Originally posted by Bob McDob
That's what I've been saying for years. I keep telling them, but nobody listens.
You're just speaking to the wrong people. Or the relevant people don't want to change. There's nothing we can do about it for now, so live with it. ;)

Originally posted by Frosty
...as for bandwidth, well, coordinate data is coordinate data, a game like Wing commander with 16,000 players wouldn't fare any better or worse than Asheron's Call with 16,000 players.
Really? Oh, well I couldn't afford (money/time) to play a MMO game, so it doesn't bother me too much.

Back