Wing Commander Multi (for real dude)

Don't you see Bandit? I idolize you! I want to be just like you!!! Love me!!!

Um, no... I explained the LOA thin a long time ago. Check out the older threads.

------------
If you have any doubts just remember one thing. I have a gun to your head.

I never thought I'd ever hear anyone say those words while sober...
wink2.gif

------------------
Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a quistion...if origin is working on ultima right know becuase multi-player games are more populer then single player games why not a make a multi-player wc game?
I was looking at something on origin's site and it says before ultima was a multi-player wc was selling more.Then why not make a internet-play wc game?Here sales well touble

-sir John Zoesem (ICEMAN)

------------------
your like a vergin of prome night!!!
-sir john (ICEMAN)

[This message has been edited by sir John Zoesem (edited September 25, 2000).]

I wasn't drunk Wild Weasle.
smile.gif
It's amazing what you can say when you only get a totle of 9 hours a sleerp in two weeks...

-------------
The once was a man from Mantucket who loved to have sex with a bucket.

Unfortunately, I probably won't ever have a chance to play mods for other games, but about the capship strengths thing, I think WC capships are a bit weak, mainly for the player to be able to win the mission by him/herself. Those convoy missions in the Sirius system in SO, having to rely on wingmen to bomb capships really suck. BTW, I think a few were having trouble with them, I just tried to kill the transports ASAP to prevent the others wasting their torps in turret fire.

sir John Zoesem said:
I have a quistion...if origin is working on ultima right know becuase multi-player games are more populer then single player games why not a make a multi-player wc game?
I was looking at something on origin's site and it says before ultima was a multi-player wc was selling more.Then why not make a internet-play wc game?Here sales well touble
It's quite simple. Ultima Online has currently about 150,000 regular subscribers, which means EA gets $1.5 million every month. Now, since an online Ultima worked, EA with it's very close minded experts thinks that two online Ultimas will bring twice as much money. AFAIK, there still hasn't been any online space sims released, so no one knows how much profit that would bring, plus, it seems that after WC went into a comma, all other space sims have been selling horribly.

Do you have to be nitpicking today?
smile.gif

OK, no one knows if a MMP space sim would bring enough profits. Happy?
wink2.gif

Just curiose.... I have never played Untama and to be honest I really don't want to. I'm just wondering if Ultama is like most other on-line games where a person hosts a game and 5 or so people join or is it something more? I mean in Ultama you have to pay, so when you play online Origin\EA is the server so you can have a few hundred people in the same game at once. Is that what it's like?

Um...What th hell is a MMP? Multiple Multiple Player? And they say I'm strange.

On another note. I'm going on a "vacation" for 8 to 12 months so the mod will have to wait, but if I'm good I might get out a little earlier. Don't do drugs. Mmkay? Drugs are bad. Mmkay?

Where the f*ck is my remote!!! I had it a minute agao for christ sake!!!

--------------
When fighting overwelming odds it is best to run and scream like a little girl.

[This message has been edited by LOA--Deadman (edited September 27, 2000).]

A MMP space sim would face one big problem, lag. Lag is one thing with something slow paced like UO where even if you are in a fight and you can't do anything for ten seconds, you are generally okay. Most of the time, it is annoying, but not detrimental to the game.

With a space sim like WC, a ten second freeze and you've probably taken a HS, two IRs and way more gun fire than your shields and hull can handle. Also, if you've played UO, you know that its graphics are not cutting edge. In fact, I think they are quite comparable to Ultima 7. Jumping over to a MMP WC game, they would probably have to keep the graphics in line with WC3 to keep the speed anywhere near where it should be. I am sure many space simmers wouldn't look kindly on going from SL, FS2, or WCP back to circa 1994 gameplay. Of course, this is all just my opinion from observation, so take it with a grain of salt.

Of course, WC or Priv Online would rule, so I hope sometime Origin does take up that flag. It would be awesome to have the freedom and interactivity of UO in the WC universe. I would absolutly love buying a quarters in a starbase somewhere and outfitting it to be swinging pimp shack, maybe buying an old retired TCN ship from a scrap yard or something and retrofitting it to be a kickass little private war machine, or signing up in the Landriech militia and fighting the Kilrathi on the frontier without regard for the regulations of Confed... so many possibilities...

Wolf Dog: Actually graphics have very little to do with anything as long as they are not stored server side. If everyone already has the graphics on their systems it is not a problem. Where the problem comes in is that you are dealing with alot of information to be sending, Everyone's position in 3D must be accounted for, velocity, shield and hull strenght, where all the missles and weapons fire is at for everyone. If everyone had DSL or Cable modems this wouldn't be a problem but the majority of the market is still stuck on 56k which chokes on that amount of information.But if they started now, it would probably take almost 2 years for it to be ready so by then most people will be using something faster than 56K.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

http://www.ntr.net/~vondoom

LOA--Deadman said:
Just curiose.... I have never played Untama and to be honest I really don't want to. I'm just wondering if Ultama is like most other on-line games where a person hosts a game and 5 or so people join or is it something more? I mean in Ultama you have to pay, so when you play online Origin\EA is the server so you can have a few hundred people in the same game at once. Is that what it's like?
Of course it’s much more than playing with few other people online, if it wasn’t no one would pay for it. You can have hundreds, thousands of people playing in a world that continues to develop all the time, in which your presence isn’t necessary.

Um...What th hell is a MMP? Multiple Multiple Player? And they say I'm strange.
Massively multiplayer, meaning it’s a persistant world, not just a quick game where you’re dueling with some friends.

Vondoom -

I agree that graphics shouldn't have to be cut back since they are stored on your hard drive and only the positioning is handled by the servers, but if you play UO you will quickly see that the graphics there are antiquated. Maybe it's because the challenges of developing a persistent world were of a higher priority so graphics took a back seat, or maybe they just weren't a priority at all.

In any case, I sorta foresee the same thing happening with any future MMP space sims. Granted, they would probably still look nice and be 3D rendered to perfection, but I think the image complexity would take a pretty big hit.

Not that it really matters. MMP space sims have a lot of challenges to overcome, a good reason why Freelancer isn't out yet, even though it apparently will bypass some of the major obstacles by slowing down the gameplay.

With a space sim, you automatically have X,Y,Z coordinates. Right from the start that has to complicate things. Then with all the tracking missiles and so many PC's flying around, I imagine it would be a very difficult task. You also have to throw in customized paint jobs for ships, battle damage, and different configurations just to make things tough.

Not only that, but you also have to develop a UO sorta setting for the bases, planets, cap ships on which you land so that you can get to know your fellow pilots, get missions, sell/buy cargo, outfit your ship, and so on. IMO, thats where the real excitement would be. Also, I REALLY want to be able to have my own quarters somewhere just for the hell of it.

Wolf Dog: The reason for UO's graphics is that they were one of the first MMP with graphics and 3D was in infancy when they started development and it was more important to make sure it works than to have fancy graphics. Take a look at the new version being developed. It has graphics that rival anything out now, incredibly detailed and not at all blocky like EQ or AC. It simply has to do with the fact the RPG's usually are not at the forefront of the graphics curves because of thier long development cycles.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

http://www.ntr.net/~vondoom

Yeah, Freelancer. Funny thing, supposedly it won't be out untill fall 2001...
smile.gif

Wolf dog, yes the graphics in UO are rather old, but the game itself is pretty old. And it took more time to develop than games usually do. Now, if you'd had someone develop an MMP space sim in about 2 years, with a new engine the graphics could be above average. If FL was released this millenium, with it's MMP add on soon to follow we'd have a descent looking online space sim. And just look at Jumpgate, that thing looks amazing.

Back