Wing Commander Movie

Manboy

Rear Admiral
Hey all

Just wondering what the Wing Commander Movie profits vs costs were? Are there records?

There's a handful of figures floating around. I think the domestic gross of the film was somewhere around 12 million, with at least another 30 million in rental/sales revenue in it's first few weeks of Home video release. The domestic box office take is easily verifiable on many online resources. But figures on DVD and VHS sales are less clear. We know it made at least that, but that hardly includes any of the receipts Fox would have gotten from broadcast rights then or since (it fairly regularly shows up in HD even recently). Nor does it include any of the online sales like amazon unboxed.

Many international countries don't have readily accessible records for box office receipts back as far as 1999. And even less accessible figures for DVD sales. So we really have no clue about what it made on video outside of the US.

Regarding budget, It was around 27 million with overruns pushing the actual cost closer to 40 million.

Regarding budget, It was around 27 million with overruns pushing the actual cost closer to 40 million.

That's ridiculously cheap compared with some stuff they make nowadays. And I thought the special effects are still pretty awesome.

That's ridiculously cheap compared with some stuff they make nowadays. And I thought the special effects are still pretty awesome.

The CG in the film holds up really well. The only exceptions are one or two rotoscopes of the fighters, but oddly I don't notice it as much in the HD versions... probably because the low res versions (including the DVD) wash out the detail. The main effects that didn't work right are the Kilrathi, but at least you don't really get to see them much.

So the IP has enough weight to work in the broader market. Which means that a sequel is inevitable, doesn't it? Or is that wishful thinking?

Wishful thinking. The film wasn't a big success even if it did turn a profit. A sequel would cost more, and most people did not like the first movie enough to make a sequel a must see.

Wishful thinking. The film wasn't a big success even if it did turn a profit. A sequel would cost more, and most people did not like the first movie enough to make a sequel a must see.

Not necessarily, since worse - and less profitable movies - have received crappy cheap direct to video sequels and spin-offs. However, Fox doesn't have any interest in doing so (and have said as much). But the distribution rights to the existing movie revert to Chris Roberts in 2014 so at the very least it's a real possibility he might reedit the existing movie at that time. By then another Wing Commander game could be a huge hit and who knows what could happen on the movie front.

Back