Wing Commander Medals

Actually, that might be cool for this site to give medals for various things- they could show by your rank/name/post count section. Awarded for service as administrator, volunteer work, adding information, etc.. You might get alot more volunteers if you write that whoever helps find information, etc.. on "....." will be awarded the "....." medal. Successful fan projects could also be awarded medals for the participants.

That might be kinda cool or it might be kinda corny. Sending people actual physical medals might be neat, but it's probably not worth the time and effort.

I would like it- but I guess I'm kinda corny. Sending physical ones would also cost $ which would also make it not worth it. If it's easy to put the graphics by poster's name it might be cool though. The rankings by post count might be considered corny by some, but I know alot of us enjoy it. You guys do enough work already for the site though, so I wouldn't expect you guys to do it, just posting an idea.

I remembered the medal award in Prophecy... but I only remember one of them - the Confederation Flying Cross. What were the other two?

The 'unidentified' one is the one Casey recieves at the very end of the game -- it's never given a name.

My memory could be playing tricks on me but I thought I won a silver star the first time I played Prophecy??? I thought the flying cross was like if you didn't do as well?

I've never known the DFC to be something you get if you don't do well. IRL, it's the second or third highest decoration an American pilot can recieve.

ChrisReid said:
That might be kinda cool or it might be kinda corny. Sending people actual physical medals might be neat, but it's probably not worth the time and effort.

You could always give out awards to members of the CIC (that diserve them off couse) at DragonCon, I might try to go this year

Mjr. Whoopass said:
I would like it- but I guess I'm kinda corny. Sending physical ones would also cost $ which would also make it not worth it. If it's easy to put the graphics by poster's name it might be cool though. The rankings by post count might be considered corny by some, but I know alot of us enjoy it. You guys do enough work already for the site though, so I wouldn't expect you guys to do it, just posting an idea.

We use medals over at my club. Look at our awards and character profiles section at the site. In fact we have a promotion and awards program.

http://www.blacklance.org

That's really cool Matt Nelson. I personally wouldn't care about receiving an actual physical medal or not. However, if I completed a fan project, provided a service, etc. it would be cool to see a picture graphic of my medal(s) next to my posts (possibly in addition to/in place of the AOL/Yahoo/MSN/etc. icons that are displayed by the posts). Of course I prob. wouldn't benefit from this because I don't actually contribute anything other than posts to the WC universe. Although, it might inspire me more to help out with fan projects (doing voice work, etc.). For instance: on this thread Bandit LOAF could offer a medal for anyone who adds additions/corrections the the medals he's listed. It could be like bribing us with candy to help out with various tasks, info search, etc...

Matt Nelson said:
We use medals over at my club. Look at our awards and character profiles section at the site. In fact we have a promotion and awards program.

That makes sense when you're role playing military characters, but that's a little different from what's going on here.

TopGun said:
You could always give out awards to members of the CIC (that diserve them off couse) at DragonCon, I might try to go this year

And the less deserving Wing Commander fans who traveled thousands of miles to hang out with us can just stand around and congratulate them? People who've attended DragonCon in the past have gotten neat things, but I think that's a completely separate issue from what we're talking about here.

Mjr. Whoopass said:
For instance: on this thread Bandit LOAF could offer a medal for anyone who adds additions/corrections the the medals he's listed. It could be like bribing us with candy to help out with various tasks, info search, etc...

Yeah, that's kind of what I don't like about it. There are dozens of people who help us out on a regular basis without any sort of bribery. Contribution to the Wing Commander community should be its own reward. Plenty of people who help us aren't regular Crius posters as well, so we'd have to spend hours figuring out some proper way to "credit" people for the work they've done. We don't have that sort of time. This is exactly the type of business that I found annoying in that Reckoning/Saga thread the other day. We're really not big fans of overcrediting stuff and adorning ourselves. This dates back to our traditions prior to the CIC's opening. We credit the people who made Wing Commander to begin with. The rest of us are contributing and regurgitating for our mutual benefit, and the benefit garnered from our effort should be plenty. I really feel time spent on something like this would be better used working on new stuff rather than patting ourselves on the back for past stuff.

I agree with Chris here, our love (ugh) for WC is already reward enough, even more when we get cool things like mods and all the info and data that the CIC digs up and stores for us. Even this whole cz rank stuff is kinda cool, but not essential per se. I'd be around here posting even if I got no pretty rank to go with it. Not that I don't like them :)

But that's the whole point. People flock to the CIC because they like the WCU and they want to be helpful, great. If they start to be here just because of some trinket, however nice it may be, maybe we'll start having competition instead of cooperation. Standoff and Saga are two great projects that just go along fine (as far as I can tell). IF there were medals and stuff, maybe some of the staff would start competing with the other (this is hipotetical, I think they're all nice people)...

Not to mention the cost in money and time it would put on the CIC staff... They really don't need that! For all I know, they are the ones who deserve the medals. I may disagree with those guys 75% of the time, I may even argue with them sometimes. But the CIC is the last great place fo WC fans. Without their work, there would be a lot less WC goodness around. We owe them that.

Why bother with medals when avatars and rankings are useless unto themselves?

True LeHah

After all once you reach 2000 Posts, you earn the right to have you're own Avatar and Custom Title.

Mjr. Whoopass said:
!?? huh?? I don't remember ANY of those! I must not have played as well as you ;).

Those were some of the medals worn by Blair, Tolwyn, Eisen, Paulsen and Seether.

Some of the ones I remember from WC3 and 4 are the Asiatic Pacific Campaign Medal, The Army of Occupation Medal, Meritorious Service Medal,(hanging from a blue ribbon?) Phillipine Liberation, Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal....

Heh, were they actually the exact same ribbons used by the current military? If so, I wonder if they were in the right order of precedence. Anyhow, good eye. I never caught that at all.

Yes, the actual ribbons. (Not medals.) I know the difference, I just said "medals" so as not to confuse the civilian minded forum dwellers. But if I wanted to confuse them even more, If someone were to ask you what a specific ribbon stood for, you would say, "Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal", or whatever the ribbon represented.

Not even close to correct precedence.

Back