Wing Commander IV DVD Edition

I'm happy to post the movie files from the 'good' DVD... if you can provide me with a web server that will let 2,000 people a day download 18 gigabytes of movies each. :)

Wouldn't compressing the video for download defeat the purpose of getting the uncompressed video in the first place :)?

Forgive me, but even video on DVDs are stored with lossy compression, aren't they? (Although the loss is much less substantial than other compression options.)

I just wish there was a guide somewhere e.g. a table showing res/bitrate and what settings you should have them set to in the codec so that it's hard to notice compression (but to save on space so you don't just set the bitrate to the highest possible).

There's no 'golden bit-rate' rule persay. You can set the movie to encode at a certain range, but due to all of the variations in diffent scenes' movement its impossible to apply one blanket rate to everything out there. Which is why multi-passing is so popular...

Anyhow, www.doom9.org has more than enough information.

Now if only someone could get their hands on one of those Prophecy DVD masters hidden in a vault somewhere (If memory serves me right).

Karthik@KANE said:
Poor Wing Commander 3 didn't get a DVD re-release!

WC4 was shot on real film, which meant high-resolution pictures perfect for DVD release.

WC3 was filmed on VHS-tape, which meant extremely poor resolution pictures, before they had a lot of access to the digital enhancement technologies which we apply to old TV shows now, though most of those were also filmed on real film of somewhat less quality than the stuff used in WC4.

WC3 would come out looking the worse for it. Best to leave it in its low-res glory on CDs. :D

I've noticed that some people are saying that its possible to get the dvd version to work with the movies and everything without the creative dvd players. I've had the double sided dvd for a while now and if anyone can tell me how to make it work I'd greatly appreciate it. Do I need to download something or just change some settings?

Well, the beta masters for Wing 3 do look much better than the game itself -- the problem was that it was shot with only low resolution in mind... so it just becomes more and more apparent that it's very cheaply made at higher resolutions. :)

Bandit LOAF said:
Well, the beta masters for Wing 3 do look much better than the game itself -- the problem was that it was shot with only low resolution in mind... so it just becomes more and more apparent that it's very cheaply made at higher resolutions. :)

Still, when you move a VHS tape to DVD, you're going to notice the graininess. :D Best to leave it on the CD and clean it up a little, so the artifacts aren't as bad as they were back when you only had 60-min CDs to work with.

Bandit LOAF said:
You mean they were shot on BETAMAX videos?!

Up until DV swept the market, Beta Cams were standard issue in the professional market (till the late 90's I believe) despite everyone having a VHS machine at home.

Not sure what Prophecy was shot on, I'd say probably Beta as well...
Has anyone else noticed that the running lights of the Confederation Senate are actually just christmas lights? That didn't carry over too well when they converted to DVD. :D

Beta's still around in some form or another... although the old pro-Beta used in studios is long gone. Everyone's gone digital, and there's a digital Beta that really only has the namesake as its heritage...

Back