Wing Commander in Space (July 13, 2006)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
eddieb found a Yahoo!News report (here) which connects two of our favorite things -- Wing Commander and real spaceflight. Apparently Mission Control sent the STS-121 crew an e-mail suggesting appropriate video games they could play...
"Ground controllers, in a joking e-mail to the crew, suggested several games to pass the time, including "who can toss the laptop furthest down the station before it bounces off the wall" and "a few appropriate computer games" such as "Asteroids, Space Invaders or Star Wars' Wing Commander."
Star Wars? Why, I never! But it's still pretty neat... watch out for stealth fighters, Discovery.

Bret wanted to let everyone know that the full text of mission control's email can be found here.

--
Original update published on July 13, 2006

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone tried to find the actual email? I'd like to check if the reference is a typo in the article.

I believe that they meant to say, "Star Wars, OR Wing Commander".

What say you?

The actual e-mail is linked below the shuttle picture.

I guess this goes up there with the whole 'small step for man' mistake. :)

Yeah.

And you need to read the CIC Forum Rules. Your posts are below the lazy/sloppy limit.

Wow, no one's called me that in a very long time. ;) How ya'll been? Someone seems to have unearthed me.

Hmm... forum doesn't seem to like me though. Won't let me stay logged in for some weird reason.

Have you checked the "remember me" (or whatever) checkbox? Obviously CIC forum cookies are accepted by your browser, or you'd have not gotten the log-in for your previous post.

Oh, and hi. :) Same "Death" from the old Origin forums, ages ago.

I'm good.

Sounds like a cookie issue. Maybe clear your temp internet files and cookies, close your browser and try again. I could be wrong, but I think you can do single logins and posts on the same page without necessarily having your cookies work right.

Hey Death! :)

I got it working now I think. I had the box checked but it kept going back to Unregistered. Had to reboot. Nothing but problems since the disaster I call Vista beta. :D

Back