Wing Commander Armada

Bloodfang

Spaceman
hi everybody!
Do you know hot to make Wing Commander Armada run under windows 98? It gives me an error message like this:
"EMS driver is not VCPI compliant"
HELP MEEEEEE!

You can't run it in windows... not yet. I recall someone reverse-engineering Ultima VII to run under win98... anyone interested in giving Armada a shot?

Actually, people at Origin had re-written the coding for Armada to play in Win98 enviroments. They never released it though.

No dice, Lunatic. LOAF said they won't release it. End of Story.

I got Armada to run in Windows.
In the shortcut properties, tell Windows to NOT give Armada EMS memmory, and in the advanced options, select the prevent Windows detection option.

Starting Armada from the shortcut may let you play it, but it will never be as good as if you played it in DOS Mode.

Note: I have never gotten Privteer to run, even with this trick.

Originally posted by LeHah
Actually, people at Origin had re-written the coding for Armada to play in Win98 enviroments. They never released it though.

No, people re-wrote it to run in a *Windows* environment. Those people were outside contractors, and the windows-du-jour of 1994 was Windows 3.1. :)

Why can't someone just rewrite all DOS wc's to work under Win9x/Me/2k/XP with DirectX 8?
If Origin sends me the original DOS source, I'll do it, I'm a good Win32/DX programmer. :rolleyes:
Don't know if I would have time to do it though, even if they did send me the source...

Because EA isn't going to just hand out the source code to games they put large sums of money into...

I'm sure if we gave them a big enough cheque they'd go for it...
id make $10K for an Alt license on Q1,
$100,000 for Quake 2's engine...
$300,000+8% royalties on the Q3 engine.
I believe the doom3/Wolf engine is somewhere close to $575,000+12%.

So... anyone have a real deep bank account? :p

Originally posted by TC
Because EA isn't going to just hand out the source code to games they put large sums of money into...
THEY'RE NOT?!?
Damn, so all that time I spend waiting for Origin to send me the code after that last post was wasted! :p

Back