Wing Commander 4 Definitive Video Pack 5.0 Released! (October 11, 2020)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
The WC3 footage is great, but the enhanced WC4 footage is absolutely exquisite. This is the game where we have some of the best source material to start with, and it's also super easy to upgrade your copy of the game to play these high res clips. Just drop the files into the video folder of the DVD version of the game. GOG carries the DVD version by default, so it's cheap and readily available. Today's release is the fifth and "definitive" launch. It incorporates all of ODVS' extensive learnings and techniques and even includes some fixes for broken/omitted clips on the DVD. It truly is the definitive way to play the original (at least until the WC4 Fan Remake is finished!).

To celebrate Wing Commander CIC's birthday and the thirtieth anniversary of the Wing Commander franchise, I'm proud to release Wing Commander IV HD Video Pack V5.0 - the Definitive Edition!

As well as containing the highest quality remaster I've yet managed to produce, V5.0 contains the following improvements that make it the Definitive Edition:

• All FMV footage remastered to 1080p Full HD using Machine Learning AI
  • Low frame rate sequences remastered to full 30fps using Machine Learning AI
  • Aspect ratio of all footage fixed to standard 16:9
  • Missing audio from various DVD-version sequences restored (in full Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound where possible)
  • French and German packs available (Stereo audio only)
  • Custom batch file launchers for French and German packs included - translate the in-game User Interface

--
Original update published on October 11, 2020

it begs me to wonder if its possible to use this with dgvoodoo2 now, since the main issue WC4 had with it was the cutscenes being small while the game was forced into 1080p or more

I'm confused, WC4 had no glide support
dgvoodoo 2 supports directx and ddraw games(GDI hook included due to WCIV menus)
i've bee even sending wc stuff for dege at vogons about WCIV issues with it, until recently that the game now works in it, besides the flickering menus.
though the cuscenes and subs/choices using videorenderer.cfg as evr still needs to alt tab to make it work, but still locked into the game's original resolution in a tiny screen on top.

Which isn't a problem in WC4 with the windows exe patch and even the cutscenes are upscaled with no flickering issues and subs working fine.
WC3 also works flawlessly with no issues and no flickering.

dgvoodoo 2 supports directx and ddraw games(GDI hook included due to WCIV menus)
i've bee even sending wc stuff for dege at vogons about WCIV issues with it, until recently that the game now works in it, besides the flickering menus.
though the cuscenes and subs/choices using videorenderer.cfg as evr still needs to alt tab to make it work, but still locked into the game's original resolution in a tiny screen on top.

Which isn't a problem in WC4 with the windows exe patch and even the cutscenes are upscaled with no flickering issues and subs working fine.
WC3 also works flawlessly with no issues and no flickering.

Whats the advantage? Those two would only be ddraw coming from software rendering.

Whats the advantage? Those two would only be ddraw coming from software rendering.
yes but the gog dvd version still needs the patch here on cic to fix the cutscene and rendering bugs.
i tested with both, and the dos version with the w95 patch in it.
but at this rate, the remake is better.

I tried dgvoodoo2 (=swapping dwrap.dll with ddraw.dll - or is there another way?) with WC4DVD.exe. doesn´t work at all - I have to alt tab out and in to get a picture, but I have no mouse or cursor at all.

blooming marvellous. haven't played this in years, but yeah, I'll give it a go. nostalgia trip here I come

Back