Wing commander 3 losing track experience

Mindcrime

Commodore
well, i was replaying wc3 today and found myself failing the mission when we need to get the scientist out of a Kilrathi prison. So the bomb was never made to destroy the planet. earth then is facing invasion and i'm sent out all alone to defend earth from the entire Kilrathi fleet. I figured this can't be won without cheating so I made myself invulnerable and went at it. 1 hour later and about 1000 kilrathi ships, corvettes, and every capitol ship you can imagine and they just keep coming. I was sad that this mission couldn't be won and we couldn't get another chance at that scientist. I swear I killed ever Kilrathi that ever existed today. On a different note, the ending was pretty cool when you lost. have you guys seen it?
spoiler
spoiler

earth gets invaded, and luke skywalker takes a claw in a stomach after you tell the emporor "screw you"
pretty cool.

Yup, I played that path first time I played. It was an impressive ending for the demise of Earth. With a throwback to Terminator, Kilrathi crushing a human skull with his foot while invading Earth, IIRC.

Your back is against the wall, there are millions of Kilrathi pouring through. All you can do is take as many down before they put you down. While one man can win a war, at that point you already lost all your chances.

One of my favourite scenes on this path:
"Sir, all our shields are down. We can't stop them."
"They're not taking my ship!"
"Sir, what are you doing? You're heading right into their fleet!"
"We're taking as many with us as we can. Make your peace, Mr Rollins."
(The TCS Victory crashes into a Kilrathi DN and explodes)

Once you're in Proxima, there is no point of return. You can only land safely in Proxima but it is technically not winnable. Sol your only choice is to die or eject and Thrakhath have his jollies before Earth is reduced to sand and ash.

Best I-know-i'm-dead-but-F-you line. To Thrakhath from Blair, finger beckoning him closer, "Screw you."

I'll die in my cockpit instead of giving the hairy bastard the satisfaction. Reload before your losing missions and give it another go.

Once you're in Proxima, there is no point of return. You can only land safely in Proxima but it is technically not winnable. Sol your only choice is to die or eject and Thrakhath have his jollies before Earth is reduced to sand and ash.

Best I-know-i'm-dead-but-F-you line. To Thrakhath from Blair, finger beckoning him closer, "Screw you."

I'll die in my cockpit instead of giving the hairy bastard the satisfaction. Reload before your losing missions and give it another go.

I'm not sure, but I think even if you die in your ship without ejecting you get the cutscene of Blair being tractored in and facing Thrakath.

I've seen the storyboards - the Joker there was supposed to drop the F-bomb in the original script. Damn censors...

I should translate that scene into Kilrathi; I have the shooting script after all...

I've seen the storyboards - the Joker there was supposed to drop the F-bomb in the original script. Damn censors...

I should translate that scene into Kilrathi; I have the shooting script after all...
Heh, that's what I would of said.

On the other hand, it is fitting that Blair would get to die the same way that Angel died at the beginning of the game--getting personally gutted by Thrakhath after spitting an insult into his face.

I'm not sure, but I think even if you die in your ship without ejecting you get the cutscene of Blair being tractored in and facing Thrakath.
I can confirm that. It recently has happened to me.

On the other hand, it is fitting that Blair would get to die the same way that Angel died at the beginning of the game--getting personally gutted by Thrakhath after spitting an insult into his face.
When losing the game, I also prefer Blair to die as a warrior than a coward, even though the former looks far more painful. In my opinion, Blair would have the respect of the Kilrathi for being a worthy foe for generations.

Back