Wing Commander 3 Joystick problem in Dosbox .63

Sylvester

Vice Admiral
I'm running Wing Commander 3 (Original Version) on Dosbox .63. When I use my Joystick, a Logitech Wingman Extreme with twist handle and throttle, it won't calibrate properly in the WC3 calibration screen, the stick stays to the far left of the screen and will only move up or down. The joystick is not a true USB joystick, it has a serial port with a USB adapter attached to it. Here are my computer specs:

Windows XP Home
Pentium 4 2.6 Ghtz processor
512 MB Ram

I've read about that issue several times in Vogons, the Forum for DOSbox, but it seems to be a bit fickle - some people seem to be able to get around it by calibrating their stick several times, for some it doesn't work at all.

The quickest way to solve your problem (since there can be different reasons, given your non-native USB) may be to use VDMSound , which worked perfectly for my XP box and WCIII.

My Wingman Extreme works fine with 0.63 and WC3, although I'm not using Windows. You might want to double-check the calibration in the control panel. Might also want to try moving the hat or throttle or twisting the rudder to see if that moves the x-axis in the calibration screen (wouldn't fix it but might be a hint).

Back