Windows7 and Sidewinder joystick (USB)

FanieT

Rear Admiral
I just reinstalled Prophecy and then dusted of my Microsoft Sidewinder joystick. Having plugged the joystick in I found that Windows 7 does not recognize the joystick. It does not even appear in the Devices and settings. I have searched the web for clues but only found some remarks about Microsoft not supporting their own Sidewinder joystick.

Is there anyone out there that might be of assistance or should I consign the joystick to the store room of old equipment?

Windows 7 recognizes my SideWinder Precision 2 in "Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers".

Use "windowskey+r" an run joy.cpl. If the device is correctly detected, it should show up and you can calibrate it(force feedback will likely not work). If not look for an unrecognized device in the device manager, and configure it from the using drivers from the microsoft website, preferrably Vista drivers.

Are you using the USB or gameport model?

I own a Forcefeedback 2. I love the stick, but it's getting so bloody hard to get it to work correctly. Getting the button mapping software to even install work is even more difficult.

I'd end up not playing games, because I knew I'd have to wrestle with getting it to work first. In the end I bit the bullet and bought a Saitek X52 pro.
As much as I miss the old FF2, sometimes you just have to move on.

Use "windowskey+r" an run joy.cpl. If the device is correctly detected, it should show up and you can calibrate it(force feedback will likely not work). If not look for an unrecognized device in the device manager, and configure it from the using drivers from the microsoft website, preferrably Vista drivers.

Are you using the USB or gameport model?

No joystick in joy.cpl There are no unrecognised devices although windows sometimes do pick up a unrecognised device but when I search for it, I can not find it in Devices andPrinters nor in Device manager. Oh the model is the USB Model.

I think it is time for a new stick although there are no new games to properly use it. Maybe Mr Robberts will provide us with a superb game so that I may justify buying a new joystick?

If you check your hardware in device manager, it has to be detected as "something", then you can work from there. I even found a guy today who has modded his original sidewinder FF and modded to USB working in windows 7, so it can be done, no guarantee the FF wil be functional.

And joysticks are a rarity these days, you either need to sell out for a logitech setup or high-end thrustmaster or you are stuck with cheap stuff. Thrustmaster has a basic HOTAS for about 80/90 euro's, and I myself bought something similar last year for 30 euro's; After firmware upgrades and new drivers all is functional in windows 7; https://www.wcnews.com/chatzone/threads/cheap-ass-tested-joystick-on-a-budget.26047/

I used to wreck cheap joysticks in weeks, this one I have had on my desk for 6 months now, and it is still operating perfectly. Some users found they go bad after two years, and then buy a new identical one, but for 30 euro's, who would care?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back