Why not a new Wing Commander game?

Carnaklor

Spaceman
Anyone knows why Origin doesn't seem to plan another Wing Commander game? Why would they trash a good sery that could still make a lot of money? Is it the fault of Electronic Arts who wants to concentrate his subcompanies on sports games?

becuase as has been discused plenty of times before, origin is currently concentrating on UO2 and do not wish to spend the money (or rather EA doesn't) on a game that might not do so well, and will definitely cost a bundle

They won't be making WC games in the near future, because instead of making a space sim, a genre which hasn't been doing well lately, they can make an online game that will bring much more money thanks to it's monthly subscriptions.

and hopefully they will make a new wc game shortly, one which has a plot as well as possibly a multiplayer mode, which if you choose to play multi you will have to pay for

At least they think that it will.
(I am unsure about UO2 revenues, UO did get a lot of cash but many RPG online games are now in the market and more will be coming out at UO2 time, some will be for free internet playing, that will cut UO2 revenues)

It's pretty obvioius that they can't make UO's forever, and than what? The most logical choice would be to go back to one of their most profitable and known series, even if that will be few years from now.

No WC games are being planed. Maverick team (that made the WC Games) was disband.
The future of WC rests on EA not Origin since Origin was absorved by EA, that makes WC Games future unsure at this moment.

What the hell are you on? Most WC games have been made while Origin was part of EA.

TC

what do you mean origin absorbed by ea, ea had owned origin since wc3 time i believe. And I am pretty sure that there will be a new wc within the next 3 years (call it a hunch)

TC, WC I,II and P were made at the time that Origin was , well "free", WC III, IV ,P and P2 were made after Origin being part of EA.
WC III did made a impact but WC IV did not sell as expected.
Chris Roberts was the engine of WC games, after he left EA start to lose confidence in WC games, will WC P be the last??? I hope not, but EA have no planes for WC games at this time.

I think the droping sales of space sims led to not making WC games, more than CR leaving. Prophecy was the last space sim that really sold well, at around 700,000 units, but since then FS2/Starlancer/Tachyon and others, probably didn't sell more than that combined.

Not to mention that it's easier to make an online RPG, a genre that is already in existence and well accepted, than an online space sim.

Exactly. when origin thinks that the public is ready for a new space sim, or when Freelance or someother game sells a lot of copies, origin will make a new WC game pronto they made wc games nonstop from 1991 to 1995

Damn, market! Where is the time when developpers created games for the love of the gaming community and for sharing their passion?

that was before they learned about a little thing called money, they suddenly had some and did not want to loose it, not that wierd, Bill gates started programing just for fun, now he is a ruthless buisness man who probably has not had fun in about 10 years

Originally posted by Napoleon
or when Freelance or someother game sells a lot of copies, origin will make a new WC game pronto they made wc games nonstop from 1991 to 1995
I wouldn't count on Freelancer... If you haven't heard, it's been delayed again, now it's scheduled for 2002!:)

And Gates at least gives money to all them charities and stuff, so he's not totaly evil.

[Edited by Earthworm on 02-19-2001 at 22:37]

What is the best space sim that i can play, with the exception of all WC and Xwing, Tie fighter.??

I-War is not too bad (it hard to understand to effective fight on it), FS is trick and can be frustating at some times, freespace is good (until the last mission) and tachtion is alright.

Back