Why Cant Centurion have heavy equipment?

U

Unregistered

Hey Guys,

Alright I was under the impression that being under the title of 'Heavy' along with the orion might entail the Centurion to utilise heavy reactors and sheilds.

But no matter what I do I cannot purchase any heavy equipment (barring guns) for the centurion. I load my game, purchase an Orion or Drayman and I can add whatever heavy reactor or shield I want, yet reload the same game and purchase the centurion and im limited to medium sheilds and reactors.

Is this a bug in my game or is this correct?

Cheers.

That's correct. The idea behind the ship choices in the original Privateer wasn't that one was the 'best' ship -- they were each good for different things and you had to pick which tradeoff worked for you. Only the Orion lets you get the highest shields and armor... but in exchange it doesn't let you have as much weaponry.

What kind of figther is the centurion anyway. Medium figther? It seems at bit well loaded for that.

Bandit LOAF said:
That's correct. The idea behind the ship choices in the original Privateer wasn't that one was the 'best' ship -- they were each good for different things and you had to pick which tradeoff worked for you. Only the Orion lets you get the highest shields and armor... but in exchange it doesn't let you have as much weaponry.

True but the tradeoff for heavy armor and shields for maneuverability and 2 extra guns was definitely not worth it...now if they had made that bad boy pack 3 guns...hmm, maybe.

thats game design for you! damn them setting things up with trade offs and not letting every ship be super ship! *cough* freelancer *cough*

Brad Mick

True but the tradeoff for heavy armor and shields for maneuverability and 2 extra guns was definitely not worth it...now if they had made that bad boy pack 3 guns...hmm, maybe.

Get the patch. It adds another turret to the Orion (that's two more guns).

No, I get you. I definitely understand the point of it. However, there are other things that are wrong with the Freelancer balancing. Namely, they made it so every ship goes the same speed...that was a major problem. There's other problems but that's a side issue. I was just saying that the Orion lacked the guns to be considered a "heavy." 3 guns I don't think would have changed the balance of the game all that much...the Orion would still be slow and sluggish but would pack a slightly heavier punch. I dunno, it doesn't matter because Priv was fine game just the way it was.

Unregistered said:
thats game design for you! damn them setting things up with trade offs
Heh I understand where you are coming from. Not every ship should have everything, but I do think the original designers messed up slightly, as no one flies an Orion in either the original or the reimagining. It just sucks. Nonetheless, the available upgrades for each ship will be as close as possible to those in the original.

Want more shields for your Centurion, try out Righteous Fire ;)

hmm...thats funny, because i do fly the orion...in fact, i'm rippin the crap out of pirates and everyone else right now in the original privateer. the idea behind the orion is that its a difficult ship to fly. instead of adding retarded difficulty levels, they're in the ship. think of the centurion as easy, the galaxy as medium, the orion as hard, and the tarsus as insane. to fly an orion and survive, you have to be good.

Brad Mick

Another one of the balancing elements of the Orion is that it's *cheap* -- 75,000 credits for an Orion is supposed to tempt the player into switching out of the Tarsus earlier than he should.

hmm...thats funny, because i do fly the orion...in fact, i'm rippin the crap out of pirates and everyone else right now in the original privateer. the idea behind the orion is that its a difficult ship to fly. instead of adding retarded difficulty levels, they're in the ship. think of the centurion as easy, the galaxy as medium, the orion as hard, and the tarsus as insane. to fly an orion and survive, you have to be good.

Brad Mick

Good point, Brad. I like the way you put it.

I'll say this...all this talk about the Orion is making me want to pull out my copy and try it again. :) Priv was such a good game! Although I didn't fly the Orion or Galaxy too much, the Orion was always the coolest to me as it had that uber elite feel of Bounty Hunter. I wanted to get one madly but was disappointed at it's combat potential...still, I loved it, I think I may go back and try it again. Now if I can just figure out how to run Priv in dosbox with sound...

Bandit LOAF said:
Another one of the balancing elements of the Orion is that it's *cheap* -- 75,000 credits for an Orion is supposed to tempt the player into switching out of the Tarsus earlier than he should.
Very true :D The Orion fooled me into trading in my Tarsus earlier than I should have. I found I'd dropped a lot of money on a ship that wasn't that much better: money that could have been saved for the purchase of a Centurion.

The Orion is indeed cheaper, and one might therefore expect it to be not as good. Still, it is somewhat sad to think of the Centurion as the destination, the final goal on the road to the best ship. People may use the Orion early on, but by the end, everyone (generalization of course) has the Centurion. Not much variety in that.

Brad, your comment rings true. But I do think it a shame that the only reason to be using it when you have your choice of ships is to give yourself a challenge.

Anyway, I know a big part of the reason I wish it was a little better is due to a personal attachment to it, it was after all my first model :) But I didn't give in to the temptation to make it more formidable; it remains a thicker armored, pokier (therefore cheaper) alternative to the Centurion as it seems was originally intended. It's similar in real life I guess. Given their choice of cars, most people would take a Porsche over a Pinto. People take the pinto because they can't afford the Porsche, that's just how it is. And so it is with the Orion. Cheaper = not quite as good. Yeah, OK I feel better about its place in the game now, thanks :)

thats not the only reason i'm using it, its a cool ship. can soak up a lot of damage, with twin tachyon guns, and a torp launcher....you can make short work of anything. it suits my combat style now, when i was younger...it didn't. now though, it suits it very well.

Brad Mick

Wow. I was never priviliged enough to play the original (I did play the original WC1, though). I just stumbled across the remake by chance, a few weeks ago. I was instantly hooked...

ironically those who try the remake first may miss some of the new features (like 'h' to target hostile) quite badly---and they might feel that the original violated the feeling of the remake (rather than vice versa)

has anyone here seen a remake of an old movie and then liked the remake better than the classic?

I was so pissed when I couldn't shelton slide when I fired up ole privateer--forgot how something so simple wasn't possible

Back