Who loves the Raptor?

Maj.Striker

Swabbie
Banned
I do!!! My absolute favorite ship from all of the WC series was without doubt the Raptor from WC1. That bad boy ate Jalthi and Gratha as a main course with Salthi and Dralthi as dessert. Anyway, once again, I went back revisited it and remodelled it. It sticks very close to the diagrams, obviously there are some cosmetic details that I added as my own artistic flair to the design. (Yes, you get to see the cowling thing again). Once I built it I realized I didn't have a good environment so I quickly threw together a partial hangar.

hangar0001.jpg

raptorfront.jpg

raptorside.jpg

Thanks guys, I actually do plan on releasing this model along with my updated Bengal once I complete it but I'm not sure if it will be in max format since I don't use max. I may be able to export it as max model (I'll have to check)...if so I will. I will certainly release it as .obj for sure.

That's an awesome rendition of WC's sweetest fighter, though that floor looks like you could eat off of it. More like a Douglas Aerospace dealership showroom than a hangar.

Some say the Raptor is powerful but ugly (see Ugly Ship thread), but you make the Raptor powerful AND pretty!

Excellent, I wounder if you could do the same for the Rapier (either version).

Maj.Striker said:
Thanks guys, I actually do plan on releasing this model along with my updated Bengal once I complete it but I'm not sure if it will be in max format since I don't use max. I may be able to export it as max model (I'll have to check)...if so I will. I will certainly release it as .obj for sure.

Thanks, Maj. Striker.
As long as I can convert it using 3DS MAX 7, it's okay by me... Just a little note - you can't do a .max format model if you don't use 3DS MAX - it's MAX's scene format. But you should be able to export it to .3ds - most 3D programs have the possibility. But if you do export it to .3ds, don't forget to include the textures along with it, 'cause the .3ds format doesn't store these, I think.

Gotcha. I know I can export 3ds so I'll will get this to the moderators here shortly. As for the textures...well I'm a horrible texture so there really no textures involved on this model, I set certain parts of the model to a dark green and the other to a light grey and just adjusted the reflection and such on them. Eventually I'll try texturing it...but I need to really study up on that as all my attempts look horrible. Anyway, I'd like to release this and my bengal mesh together so we'll see. I'll post an update on that one sometime as well.

I second the showroom comment. One can imagine the Raptor parked by the floor-to-ceiling window to draw in the shoppers so they can get sold a scimitar :D

Mmm, I remember when your early models were pretty blocky, Striker. Of course, that wasn't a bad thing - I took it as your own unique modelling style. I can still see that style present here, but you've certainly improved a lot along the way! Well done. :)

Back