Who here is a Kilrathi sympathizer?

Do you WUV CATS!?!?!

• Yes

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • No

Votes: 26 60.5%

• Total voters
Originally posted by pendell
Just a quick reminder -- this particular means of fighting was tried during WWII in the Pacific Theatre. It didn'twork particularly well. It DID, however, result in much higher casualty lists for the Japanese than they otherwise would have sustained.

Since when did I start applying ancient philosophy to WWII military tactics? I'm meerly stating that desire overcomes many, if not all, obsticles. I'd rather fight an apathetic-if-skilled warrior than a man bent on revenge. Rage causes incredible bursts of power and skill. Athletes refer to it as being "in the zone" and soldiers as "instinct". It's all the same. It's whatever the moment throws at you and your sickening primal will to survive through all and every means possible.

They charged headlong at the American lines, just as Yamamoto Tsunetomo suggested.

Hence they have a lot more backbone than you or I. Fuck it, they were goddamned heros. To dash headlong at an enemy and to fight savagely without thought for survival tends to keep the unit whole, even if it does result in a large body count. I'm going to take a blind-leap and say your statement also applies and thus undermines people like Roger Young who took out that pillbox in the same damned war, going against orders and saving his unit who was pinned down and saving several already wounded men.

But because he was American, that makes it OK, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

Result? 1000 dead Japanese. The Ichiki regiment was wiped out without achieving anything significant.

Death is incredibly significant.

Thus -- insanity, and a courageous spirit, whether you call it elan or the spirit of Bushido, ceased to be enough to win battles around 1914 or so. A courageous spirit, together with a little common sense and some very careful planning, will do great things but courage alone only results in a body count.

You completely forget that the statements I have stated previously were axioms used for centuries, but also are still used today.

Life without honor or courage either one, leaves you living life as a worthless slime or a politician.Soldiers who make seemingly suicidal attacks are rewarded with success on many occasions whether it is just saving your comrades, defeating the enemy, or just the desire to die with honor instead of cowering behind some damn tree.As Leheh pointed out Roger Young died in a brave " suicidal" gesture yet I bet the troops his actions saved would see it different.No matter the nation of origin these acts whether they are tactically sound or not are still brave acts and anyone who picks a weapon to fight for his/her country is a hero.Jerry Pournelle said it best when referring to acts like these when he said " these are not rational acts. They are often merely neccesary"

Originally posted by Thymerlord
Soldiers who make seemingly suicidal attacks are rewarded with success on many occasions whether it is just saving your comrades, defeating the enemy, or just the desire to die with honor instead of cowering behind some damn tree.
It is downright foolish to praise suicidal behaviour without making distiction of the motives and logic behind it. If, by suicide, you will achieve something - save your troops or whatever - then it certainly is a brave act, and maybe - maybe - even an intelligent one. If, on the other hand, you do it out of "just the desire to die with honor", then you are either an idiot, or far too strongly attached to a very poorly conceived concept of "honour" (which probably makes you an idiot anyway).

Me, I'd rather be a useless coward one day to achieve something useful the next, than a useless hero permanently.

Originally posted by Quarto

Me, I'd rather be a useless coward one day to achieve something useful the next, than a useless hero permanently.

That's damn right.

What if Patton had thrown himself on a grenade to keep (for example) a tank from being destroyed at the age of 20? Just you think about that.

Originally posted by LeHah

Hence they have a lot more backbone than you or I. Fuck it, they were goddamned heros.

They were not heroes. They failed in their mission. and if memory serves there are few greater shames either in Japanese culture or in any other.

Death is incredibly significant.

To them. However, remember that a soldier isn't supposed to die simply for the sake of dying -- they are supposed to make the sacrifice in order to achieve their objectives. In this case the Ichiki regiment utterly failed to accomplish any of its objectives and was annihilated. The suicide of its officers was considered atonement for a ghastly failure. Guadalcanal was held by the Americans and was later used as a staging ground for later conquests which, eventually, ended the war.

Had the Japanese used a little bit more brains and a little less courage (committed more troops with better support) they could have captured Guadalcanal and at worst delayed the American timetable by a year. At best, they could have stalemated the Americans and forced a favorable end to the war.

To dash headlong at an enemy and to fight savagely without thought for survival tends to keep the unit whole, even if it does result in a large body count.

If that's your idea of tactics and leading men, I won't hold my breath waiting for your eventual conquest of the universe -- your own men will frag you first.

As I have pointed out, blind headlong charges became obsolete in 1914. If you fight wars using those tactics, no matter how brave your people are, you will accomplish nothing and your people will die in great numbers. For examples see Iran-Iraq 1980-1988, Korea 1953, WWII Pacific Theatre, WWI.

I'm going to take a blind-leap and say your statement also applies and thus undermines people like Roger Young who took out that pillbox in the same damned war, going against orders and saving his unit who was pinned down and saving several already wounded men.

Have you ever seen a MOH citation? I have.

Rodger Young was a hero because he gave his life that others would live. It was a very specific set of circumstances -

1. His sacrifice saved the lives of his buddies.
2. His sacrifice helped achieve a military objective.
3. There were no other less costly ways available.

Roger Young charging a pillbox to save his friends is brave, and -- dare I say it -- an act of love. Charging a pillbox when there's a perfectly good tank available to solve the problem isn't brave, merely stupid.

We give medals for courage and for valor -- we do not give medals for stupidity. The difference is that courage see what needs doing and does it without regard to personal safety. Stupidity sees the problem, but solves it in the most expensive and painful way possible when there are less costly alternatives available.

You completely forget that the statements I have stated previously were axioms used for centuries, but also are still used today.

Perhaps -- but the advice, as far as strictly military things go, is no longer good advice. People have tried to do it that way repeatedly in the twentieth century and failed almost every time. Courage combined with common sense and experience goes a lot further than courage alone.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

I was not speaking stricktly about the military.Cowardice is a word I don't like to use, withdrawing from a battle when nothing will be gained is not cowardice, just like sacrificing yourself to buy time is not stupidity(the Alamo,the Spartans in the persian war) but bravery comes in many forms, how you feel is important. the first astro/cosmonauts were all heroes in fact anyone who goes into space is not only brave but a hero.The same goes for fireman and police.A sucidal gesture to some is not to others that is what must be remembered along with how different individuals consider honor. Patton said it best about dying for ones country the object is to make the other guy die for his. Not everyone is meant to be a soldier that does'nt mean they are cowards facing your fear takes bravery and living a good life to its fullest makes you a hero in someones life. And if Patton had jumped a grenade at 20, well I'm sure the US government would have found some else to crush the Bonus army

Thymer,

Agree with your thoughts on heroism. That's in the nature of the business -- fire, police, and other jobs require a brave few to give their lives that others might live. I only take issue with giving one's life unnecessarily.

BTW, it was Macarthur who crushed the Bonus army, not Patton.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Originally posted by pendell
They were not heroes. They failed in their mission. and if memory serves there are few greater shames either in Japanese culture or in any other.

You sound like me when I heard the mass media calling the people on the planes of September 11th "heros". Just because you die doesn't make you a hero, but the fact that they died serving their cause and their orders, makes them heros. I'd assume you'd be crying in your foxhole?

However, remember that a soldier isn't supposed to die simply for the sake of dying

Bullshit armchair warrior talk. Hate to bring this to light, but on the battlefield, men are a resource and not people. If it serves the cause, you have to be willing to sacrafice everyone to get it.

they are supposed to make the sacrifice in order to achieve their objectives.

When applicable or possible.

In this case the Ichiki regiment utterly failed to accomplish any of its objectives and was annihilated.

I'll give you that much.

The suicide of its officers was considered atonement for a ghastly failure. Guadalcanal was held by the Americans and was later used as a staging ground for later conquests which, eventually, ended the war.

Also true. But how many American soldiers did they take with them?

Had the Japanese used a little bit more brains and a little less courage (committed more troops with better support) they could have captured Guadalcanal and at worst delayed the American timetable by a year.

Whoa. You just made a REAL stupid error. You mean to tell me because people are brave they must be stupid? Do not confuse the bullshit American ideal of "absolutes" in with bravery and military tactics. And, last I checked, delaying a year in a war is pretty fucking good. LOTS of things can happen in that amount of time, since there is no "Absolute" answer.

At best, they could have stalemated the Americans and forced a favorable end to the war.

I'd like to see your degree in History if you don't mind. :rollseyes:

If that's your idea of tactics and leading men, I won't hold my breath waiting for your eventual conquest of the universe -- your own men will frag you first.

And now you're confusing me with my avatar. Christ.

I wouldn't want to be in charge since I tend to second-guess myself and because I think I'd fold rather quickly under the pressure.

As I have pointed out, blind headlong charges became obsolete in 1914.

Yeah, good thing they're still in the books of every military academy in the world.

If you fight wars using those tactics, no matter how brave your people are, you will accomplish nothing and your people will die in great numbers. For examples see Iran-Iraq 1980-1988, Korea 1953, WWII Pacific Theatre, WWI.

Thats right ladies and gentlemen! You too, if you're cowardly enough, can skip the draft and head for Canada, fore-going your duty as a civilian to defend your nation and actually make a difference! But wait! You could also... burn your draft card and sit on your ass like a lazy, WASP American and piss your life away watching sitcoms! Oh the joy of it all!

Without courage, a military, no matter the size, is worthless.

Have you ever seen a MOH citation? I have.

Good for you.

Rodger Young was a hero because he gave his life that others would live. It was a very specific set of circumstances -

1. His sacrifice saved the lives of his buddies.
2. His sacrifice helped achieve a military objective.
3. There were no other less costly ways available.

How do these not apply to what you said about all those Japanese soldiers who died? They all died for the exact damned principals. You're talking in hindsight, which makes it easy to critisize and judge.

We give medals for courage and for valor -- we do not give medals for stupidity.

No, we have generals who award themselves medals and blow their thoughts and memories out when the press finds out.

Stupidity sees the problem, but solves it in the most expensive and painful way possible when there are less costly alternatives available.

Again, thats bullshit. "There is no such thing as foolproof since fools are so ingenius".

People have tried to do it that way repeatedly in the twentieth century and failed almost every time.

The sentence started as an absolute and faultered into a bad variable. Please keep a more secure footing on what the hell you're trying to say.

Courage combined with common sense and experience goes a lot further than courage alone.

I never said any differently. I'm just stating that a lot of what you're saying is complete Democratic rehash touchy-feely bullshit that dentists and beaurcrats and pussy-boy software designers give into. Live by the sword, die by it. Don't question instinct and certainly don't give an inch the moment someone is hostile. Plow through without thought, with minimal effort and with zealous delight in the pain you receive.

I have to agree with you on that whole thing with the media Lehah last time I checked those killed by anyone are generally victims the main heroes I saw that day all wore the unifirms of NYPD,FDNY, and the port authority. And thank you for the correction pendell, I still stick by the point even though I had the wrong man.

Originally posted by LeHah [/i

Bullshit armchair warrior talk. Hate to bring this to light, but on the battlefield, men are a resource and not people. If it serves the cause, you have to be willing to sacrafice everyone to get it.

Yes, they are a resource. A finite resource. Therefore, one should try to win battles with as little expenditure of resources -- human or any other kind -- as possible, the better to more effectively win the next one.

Example: We could have won the Gulf War in 1990 with a frontal attack on Saddam's position in Kuwait and taken thousands of casualties. Or we could apply just a little bit of brains, a lot of blood, sweat, tears, deception, and yes, courage, and win while taking hundreds. Which is what we did. Don't know about you, but that suits me just fine.

Also true. But how many American soldiers did they take with them?

Far fewer than their own numbers. This might have been a good thing if Japan had a much larger population base than America, but in fact the reverse was true. It hastened Japan's loss of the war, rather than slowing it.

You just made a REAL stupid error. You mean to tell me because people are brave they must be stupid?

No. I'm telling you that bravery when combined with thousands of years of military science and experience can win the battle more effectively than bravery alone.

Brave people need not be stupid. The best people are brave AND smart, and combine the two to win spectacular victories. The merely smart wind up on planning staffs. The merely stupid don't last very long in any capacity.

I'd like to see your degree in History if you don't mind. :rollseyes:

Sorry, I've got better uses for thousands of tuition dollars.

Yeah, good thing they're still in the books of every military academy in the world.

And if that was the only thing you needed to know how to do, they'd be pretty short books, wouldn't they?

Come on. The reason it's a multi-year course with books on books on books is because frontal attacks and spirit *aren't* enough. The entire discipline of military science exists because of that simple fact.

Thats right ladies and gentlemen! You too, if you're cowardly enough, can skip the draft and head for Canada, fore-going your duty as a civilian to defend your nation and actually make a difference!

Did I ever suggest that? I'm glad that there are people willing to do a duty I was medically rejected for, I merely object to UNNECESSARILY wasting their lives. Necessary casualties is another thing entirely.

Without courage, a military, no matter the size, is worthless.

I have never contended otherwise.

How do these not apply to what you said about all those Japanese soldiers who died?

The Japanese soldiers were brave men, and deserve praise for that. The fools who put them there and then abandoned them without weapons or support deserve execution for their folly.

No, we have generals who award themselves medals and blow their thoughts and memories out when the press finds out.

That was an Admiral -- and what is your point? That all medals are worthless? Than what was that about Roger Young?

Plow through without thought, with minimal effort and with zealous delight in the pain you receive.

There are other ways through a wall then simply trying to walk through it.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Guys, guys, GUYS!! If ya don't have a Masters or Doctorate in History, none of ya are experts.

If you would care to continue this arguement Pendell, please email me. Otherwise, we are completely off-topic on a limited bandwidth server.

And I am by NO means backing out of this arguement. :)

Originally posted by LeHah
Thats right ladies and gentlemen! You too, if you're cowardly enough, can skip the draft and head for Canada, fore-going your duty as a civilian to defend your nation and actually make a difference! But wait! You could also... burn your draft card and sit on your ass like a lazy, WASP American and piss your life away watching sitcoms! Oh the joy of it all!
That's really cute... you ever lived in a country where there actually still is a draft law? And you talk about armchair warriors. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Wulf
Guys, guys, GUYS!! If ya don't have a Masters or Doctorate in History, none of ya are experts.

On the internet, any idiot is an expert.

(As LeHah so gracefully proves...)

its REALLY straying from the original topic now!:D

by the way, i'm headin off from my little city-state of singapore to go to australia! at 0615+8hrs GMT tomorrow i will be off to somewhere in australia against my will, oh well, goodbye and i hope that the server doesn't collaspe when i'm gone:cool:

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
On the internet, any idiot is an expert.
(As LeHah so gracefully proves...)

I tend to be quite consistant. :)

Back