Whimsies, doings and curios.

Plywood Fiend

Rear Admiral
Hello all, several years no see.

Some of you may remember I was working on an episodic audio drama series called 'Defiant Few', after about six episodes that fell to pieces due to a) ambition outstretching realistic expectations; b) one too many voice actors either vanishing without explanation or proving to be self-important prima donnas. (Either was an exception to the rule to be fair, most of my team were a goodly lot) and c) it got to the point where it all became such a chore that I couldn't edit audio without getting strangely angry. So yes, that was that, and then I just kind of wandered away from the CIC for about five years.

My sincere apologies to anyone who was enjoying Defiant Few when it vanished, and to anyone here who was starring in it for that matter, and finally for the fact that I vanished along with it and am just saying all this now. Honestly between curious editing anger, too many daft whims and broken promises and the fact that the project had been markedly dead for months anyway, it seemed best just to slink away.

And now, thanks to another passing whim, I return. If I ever learned anything from such experiences I just wouldn't be me. Anyway, my most recent whimsy-work is a bit humbler, but just a bit. I'm doing a let's play of Wing Commander 1, but one riddled with my own peculiar brand of humor in the (text only) commentary, and with peculiar, (usually) funny intro videos, snippets of which I'll include below, best I can. Rest assured that for those like myself who've played this game more times than they'd care to admit to, there's something new and innovative to see in this play-through.

The playlist is here on YouTube, if there's any wish to host videos locally I shall send the needful. At the moment I've got Enyo, McAuliffe, Gateway, Brimstone, Gimle and Dakota finished and uploaded, currently working through Kurasawa.

Hope this provides some entertainment. Updates should be considerably quicker than ever they were for Defiant Few... or Front Lines for that matter. Good Lord I feel old.

Project 1.gif

Screenshot_3.png
Screenshot_5.png
Project 5.gif

Last edited:
(Persistence is key.)

The let's play and accompanying oddities are finished for now. The last video came complete with this fan reading from the Heart of the Tiger novel, complete with as good a display of video editing trickery as I could manage. I'll leave it here as it may entertain.

I'll add a warning for spoilers, though it seems superfluous.

As passing Wing Commandersque whimsies strike, I'll post them here. Next up, and with scant regard for chronology, is what will hopefully be a swift let's play of Unknown Enemy, in my own peculiar style. The first proper videos are coming soon.

I'll also link my twitter where more specific updates are announced, so as not to spam the forum.

Okay, there's still a few bonus videos to come, but the main campaign videos for the WC: Unknown Enemy play-through are uploaded and can be seen here if you wish.

Attachments

• Screenshot_3.png
    Screenshot_3.png
    428.8 KB · Views: 119
  • Screenshot_4.png
    Screenshot_4.png
    818.9 KB · Views: 114
  • Screenshot_5.png
    Screenshot_5.png
    618.2 KB · Views: 113
  • Screenshot_6.png
    Screenshot_6.png
    608.8 KB · Views: 114
  • Screenshot_7.png
    Screenshot_7.png
    501.8 KB · Views: 118
Finished... well, Vega sector at least.

In any case, on this less-than-calm of days for many, I figured a distraction may be in order so I've twisted together this compendium of all the strange and/or comical intro videos I made for the series.

Take care all.

I've always wanted to make one of these. Alas my pixel art talents aren't quite up to the original game's standards, but perhaps this'll make for a nifty, nostalgic thing for some.

Bit of a headcanon scene here. It takes place during the winning path with the Tiger's Claw finishing the Kilrathi off in Venice and other Confederation ships vanquishing the feline menace in other systems.

Greetings all and Merry weekend. I've been trying to hone my skills with pixel art, animations and the like and have made the following scene, a reasonably elaborate mission briefing in the WC1 style.

The story here is of an Exeter, the TCS Tengu fleeing from a pursuing Kilrathi strike force. If they can link up with the TCS Vigil, another Exeter, they might just be able to overcome the pursuing fighters and possibly even strike back against their carrier.

I'll share of of the briefings I made recently. What software are you using? I am enjoying enve at the moment to animate.

I'll share of of the briefings I made recently. What software are you using? I am enjoying enve at the moment to animate.

Gah, sorry, my sieve-like memory strikes again. To answer your question though, this is a straightforward pixel art background from MS Paint along with GIFs twisted together in the unfortunately named G.I.M.P, then I used VSDC video editor to place the animations over the background and make the scene.

So, we both like doodling wing commander... want to collab on anything? ;) I would love to have a cameo from the Tengu or Vigil in the gemini sector for the RPG.

Woe, calamity and me, for I have returned with more stuff. Specifically I've gone back to do a play through of Secret Missions 1 in my own peculiar fashion; the playlist can be found here (scroll down for the new material, I'm currently up to the Gwenhyvar mission.) Below are a few samples of the added extras I've twisted in, most notably is a pixel art animation I made showing a fateful distress call from the TCS Johann which, suffice it to say, was not the luckiest of vessels, as you may recall.

Screenshot_1.png
Screenshot_2.png
Screenshot_3.png

Back